View Full Version : Bigger fonts, please!

sosha
04-23-2006, 02:35 AM
I am suprised at the size of the font used on the Cingular 2125. Especially for an incoming call in my phone book. Why, oh why can't we use more that 1/10th of the screen (so it seems) to display the incoming name & number? Any software out there to help with this?

Rocco Augusto
04-23-2006, 02:50 AM
I am suprised at the size of the font used on the Cingular 2125. Especially for an incoming call in my phone book. Why, oh why can't we use more that 1/10th of the screen (so it seems) to display the incoming name & number? Any software out there to help with this?

there is a way to make the font larger. in the settings menu there is an option for accessability. (START>SETTINGS>ACCESSIBILITY)

from here you can make the system fonts larger... now this wont effect incoming calls but everything else will be nice and big :)

sosha
04-23-2006, 02:54 AM
Thank you very much; too bad there's not an in-between size.

God, I'm getting old......... :)

Rocco Augusto
04-23-2006, 03:39 AM
i did a little bit of research for you on my way home. according to my friend, who is a developer of windows mobile devices, the incoming call screen is just an xml file... if i understand correctly.

if it is then just like homescreens i believe this could be edited too. now unortunatly i have not researched it more than making a phone call but at least now you have a starting place for a nice google search ;)

EDIT: i looked around and searched my phone. unfortunatly i could not find any xml file for the incoming call screen. that doesnt mean one doesnt exist... though its totally possible that i mishead/understood him :oops:

Rocco Augusto
04-23-2006, 04:06 AM
God, I'm getting old......... :)

nah, your eyes are just getting lazy ;)

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 11:48 AM
i did a little bit of research for you on my way home. according to my friend, who is a developer of windows mobile devices, the incoming call screen is just an xml file... if i understand correctly.

if it is then just like homescreens i believe this could be edited too. now unortunatly i have not researched it more than making a phone call but at least now you have a starting place for a nice google search ;)

EDIT: i looked around and searched my phone. unfortunatly i could not find any xml file for the incoming call screen. that doesnt mean one doesnt exist... though its totally possible that i mishead/understood him :oops:

Yes, the incoming call screen is just a template that can be customized - just not by the end user. Don't get me started on how horrible this is. It's a total broken experience when you consider the caller ID image size. :evil: Anyway, according to my contacts in MS, there is no way for the end user to change this. :cry:

Kris Kumar
04-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Did we ever rant about this on our front page? This is baaad! :evil:

I would like to meet the person who chose the caller-photo-id image size on the incoming call screen. :roll:

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Did we ever rant about this on our front page? This is baaad! :evil:

I would like to meet the person who chose the caller-photo-id image size on the incoming call screen. :roll:

We did - http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,9849 And you'll find the answer along with the person responsible discussing it in the comments. ;)

Kris Kumar
04-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the link Mike. :)

Rocco Augusto
04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
im sure theres a way to change it. if there is one thing i know its when microsoft says something cant be done someone goes out and does it. visual styles for xp for instance :)

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
im sure theres a way to change it. if there is one thing i know its when microsoft says something cant be done someone goes out and does it. visual styles for xp for instance :)

You can always load 3rd party tools like Photo Contacts and what have you. But they don't change the default template. The overlay their own screens and use their own image database instead of using the Outlook one.

Rocco Augusto
04-23-2006, 07:45 PM
that saddens me :(

Jerry Raia
04-24-2006, 05:13 AM
This really is a huge oversight for MS to make.

sosha
04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Mike...thanks for the link.

I'm with ya regarding the oversight, Jerry. How can you have this big, beautiful screen, and only use a teeny bit of it for such an important feature is beyond me.

Pffffttt!