View Full Version : SPB Backup on a smartphone?

Ash211
04-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know if SPB Backup will work on a smartphone? If not, is there another backup program out out there where you can backup directly to a memory card?

edgar
04-22-2006, 10:06 PM
If WM5 Smartphone, no it doesn't - there is none out there yet, I don't think. I believe SPB has it on their to-do, obviously, just not out yet.

If Wm2003 Smartphone then yes, Sprite Software has a version for Wm2003, I use it sucessfully on my MPX220. They are releasing the WM5 SP version "in the near future"

http://www.spritesoftware.com/smartphone.php

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm not impressed with Sprite. I find their attitude towards the customer very poor. Take a tour of their forums and you'll see what I mean. There are lots of very upset customers.

As for SPB, I haven't heard anything, but I've sure made my them aware of my feelings. ;)

edgar
04-23-2006, 02:50 AM
I do agree with Mike's analysis of Sprite. I've heard nothing but negative remarks about Sprite's support and customer attitude - too bad, the product isn't bad - quick way to get a company trashed and marginalized.

Luckily I never had issue with the software requiring support, so I can say it worked well for me.

I am a HUGE fan of the SPB products and they do look to be expanding their smartphone line, at least an email I have from Vassili, the CTO says that - just no firm date on any releases, nor what the products are.

I am confused as to why no firm has stepped forward and created a backup program for WM5 smartphones. Is there a problem in the architecture? The only thing I could see as an issue is carrier blocking of applications and/ or registry.

Most of us have figured our way around those issues. I would think this would be a burgeoning market, not to mention someone like HP could bulk buy the product and slap it on their devices like they did with a light edition of sprite.

-Edgar

Rocco Augusto
04-23-2006, 04:37 AM
im still a firm believer that microsoft dropped the ball by not having a backup program for WM5 smartphones (im unsure about PPCs) either bundled with the software CD you get with the phone or part of activesync :(

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I do agree with Mike's analysis of Sprite. I've heard nothing but negative remarks about Sprite's support and customer attitude - too bad, the product isn't bad - quick way to get a company trashed and marginalized.

Luckily I never had issue with the software requiring support, so I can say it worked well for me.

I think the biggest problem started when they removed the free trial. So now you have all these people that HAVE to buy it first and then find out it doesn't work on their device. Considering there are many reasons it won't work on your device, they could solve that by having the free version or a tester application.

Anyway, I've seen people complain about it taking over a month for them to get a refund. It's just a mess.

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 11:57 AM
im still a firm believer that microsoft dropped the ball by not having a backup program for WM5 smartphones (im unsure about PPCs) either bundled with the software CD you get with the phone or part of activesync :(

There is an activeSync backup on the PPC but it only backs up a small amount of configuration data. It's not really worth the effort for a half baked solution.

The only real solution has been Sprite. Now with Spb in the market, hopeful things will change.

xultar
04-28-2006, 10:20 PM

There is an activeSync backup on the PPC but it only backs up a small amount of configuration data. It's not really worth the effort for a half baked solution.

The only real solution has been Sprite. Now with Spb in the market, hopeful things will change.

So what do you use to backup your smartphone?

Jerry Raia
04-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't.

Mike Temporale
04-29-2006, 02:45 AM
So what do you use to backup your smartphone?

Just like Jerry said... I don't. I wish I could, but I've been burned by SunnySoft's solution so I won't go back to them even if they offered a WinMo5 version. And I'm really not impressed with customer service from Sprite. So even if they release a WinMo5 version, I don't think I would buy it.

jlp
05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I've had a hard reset happening on my MPx220 just 2 weeks after I bought it. So I'm quite in a hurry to get a backup solution.

I do use Sprite backup on my PPC but the SP version is NOT understandably more expensive (I got the basic version as I found no real extra value to the expanded one) and has no trial as mentionned.

Unfortunately I stoped at the older version 2.1.4 on my PPC because version 3.0 was painfully much slower at basic operations (scanning files at startup) and didn't list folders alphabetically in the Save as window, yet taking 10 sec to access that window vs instantaneous. I never tried a more recent version to see if that changed. But as they say don't change something that works (v2.1.4).

I used to use Sunnysoft's on my PPC as well and found it reliable.

However my main question is to know if any of them backups SMS/MMS items? as ActiveSync does NOT do this.

tia

jlp
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
So nobody seems to know how to backup SMS/MMS?

Is there a way to access SMS/MMS data on a PC?

Mike Temporale
06-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Check out Jeyo's applications. They've got an SMS backup tool I think.

Jerry Raia
06-24-2006, 03:02 AM
It's more of an SMS management program for Outlook. I use it.

http://www.jeyo.com/extender.asp

ditch_azeroth
06-24-2006, 03:50 AM
to avoid 'accidental' loss of important stuff on your phone, sync your contacts, tasks, calendar, etc. to outlook (and maybe keep a backup by making a csv, or you can just backup a copy of your pim.vol file), text messages can be backed up by saving a copy of cemail.vol (you need to rename it and restart... and stuff). sprite is pretty good stuff... i've tried it but i never rely on it.

but the real 'backup' is simply not to screw up your phone. know what you are doing and do it only if you have a backup plan in place ^_^

jlp
06-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Thanks Jerry for the link.

However most things require Outlook 2003. Alas Even with a Smartphone 2003 SE I only have Outlook 2002 :o 8O

I'll take a look at Mobile Companion which seems a bit similar but I don't know if I ould access SMS data :o.

jlp
06-24-2006, 05:59 AM
to avoid 'accidental' loss of important stuff on your phone, sync your contacts, tasks, calendar, etc. to outlook (and maybe keep a backup by making a csv, or you can just backup a copy of your pim.vol file), text messages can be backed up by saving a copy of cemail.vol (you need to rename it and restart... and stuff). sprite is pretty good stuff... i've tried it but i never rely on it.

That's what I did, but as I understand it emails are accessible from outllok when synchronized; not the case with SMS and MMS; unless I get Jeyo programs, but NO access to MMS there.

but the real 'backup' is simply not to screw up your phone. know what you are doing and do it only if you have a backup plan in place ^_^

When I had the hard reset I had NOT installed ANY stuff on it. I simply needed to turn off and on. When the phone was on again, it was in a clean state: no more phone numbers, appointments, pix, etc.

So I didn't screw anything.

Since then I heard the MPx220 has some bugs that were never fixed if I understand well.

freemans
08-29-2006, 01:17 AM
I got brilliant customer service over in Sprite, and I will stick with them on my Q and 4700 later. and SPB is quite just an option for the launch bar, I would not let them touch 4700. 8O