View Full Version : Moving from PDA Connect Unlimited to MediaNet Unlimited

pavankp
04-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I currently have Cingular's $39.99 PDA Connect Unlimited package, which provides unlimited internet access (including using the phone as a modem). After looking around this forum, I get the feeling that I can get all this for $19.99 a month, with the MediaNet Unlimited plan. Is this correct?

Do we have anyone here who made the switch that I am contemplating (from PDA Connect Unlimited to MediaNet Unlimited)? Can you please confirm whether you were assessed any additional charges for access after the switch? Thanks for helping me avoid potential $300 bills for GPRS/EDGE use!

Regards,
Pavan

Rocco Augusto
04-15-2006, 10:36 PM
If you are using a regular smartphone (SMT 5600, MPx220, Cingular 2125) then yes, you can use the $19.99 unlimited MEdia Net plan. Unfortunatly if you are a PPC/Treo user then you are stuck on the PDA Connect plan.

With MEdia Net as well as PDA Connect you are able to use your phone as a modem. It's really all based off what kind of advice you have.

-opti-

edgar
04-16-2006, 12:48 AM
I have the $19.99 unlimited Media Net.

My current setup:
Phone: Evil Nasty cruddy MPX220
PDA: My rocking HX4700 - works flawless for me - dont know what the whiners are doing

I connect via BT with the dumb manual connect string since, again, Moto messed up on the MPX220. But I get GPRS speeds to the PDA and no problems with billing. I run mail, PIE, Netfront, Avantgo, RSS etc through it, just like a regular wifi connection, everything works, albeit slower.

-Edgar

And, as Opti said, if you are on a PPC-Phone Edition all bets are off. But, since this is SMARTPHONE thoughts and not POCKETPC Thoughts - I assumed you have a SP not a PPC-PE

Rocco Augusto
04-16-2006, 04:08 AM
And, as Opti said, if you are on a PPC-Phone Edition all bets are off. But, since this is SMARTPHONE thoughts and not POCKETPC Thoughts - I assumed you have a SP not a PPC-PE

i just like to cover ALL bases ;) :P :lol:

pavankp
04-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks Edgar and Opti for your responses! I have made the switch...

ricoks
07-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I have a 5600 coming to me in the mail that I picked up from ebay, new.
If it fails me, i may just call up Cingular and exchange it, since it is new, under warranty.
My questions, tho, is that with the 19.99 plan, you say you are tethering via bluetooth DUN to your iPaq4700 for browsing??
I too have a 4700 and love the screen and res, but am looking foward to going back to a smartphone (had an mpx220 like 1 1/2 yrs ago). i love having the same contact list everywhere, with the same format for storing/accessing it. BUT, i would like to have a better web interface, if possible, sometimes. what say you, you just dial with the *99#, or what do you use to get your 4700 surfing???
thanks for the help, this site has been awesome since it launched from PPCThoughts.

Ricoks

edgar
07-20-2006, 12:44 AM
My questions, tho, is that with the 19.99 plan, you say you are tethering via bluetooth DUN to your iPaq4700 for browsing??

Exactly. Yes sir.

-Edgar

ricoks
07-21-2006, 02:34 PM
what dial string are you using?
are you changing the proxy on the phone, changing to isp. vs wap.??
I appreciate the help, just look forward to making it work.

Ricoks

Hw6945
09-07-2006, 05:28 PM

Edgar and Opti --
A couple of questions from a new member here (long time member at PPCThoughts). Sorry if I'm digging up old bones.
Q1. So which site should one use for the Hw6945 I just ordered from HP??? (Is it a Phone? A PPC? A Plane? Faster than a speeding bullet?)
Q2. Do you think I have a chance of getting the $19 Media Net plan to work on my Hw6945???
(I don't think the folks at PPCThoughts could field this one :wink: )
Thanks... Ron...

Mike Temporale
09-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Q1. So which site should one use for the Hw6945 I just ordered from HP??? (Is it a Phone? A PPC? A Plane? Faster than a speeding bullet?)

That's a PPC. If it's got a stylus then it's a Pocket PC. That's the best way to tell the difference, for now.

As for Q2, I have no clue. Someone else <cough>Rocco</cough> will have to help you on that one. ;)

Hw6945
09-07-2006, 09:24 PM
[quote="Mike Temporale"]
That's a PPC. If it's got a stylus then it's a Pocket PC. That's the best way to tell the difference, for now.[quote]

Hi Mike,
The old Stylus test won't work anymore with the new PPC Phones. Think about my Q2 - not really a PPC forum question. But the Hw6945 is also replacing my Hx4700. So I'll still be looking for PPC software hints and tips. But for now I mostly need phone tips.
The lines are a blurring.......
Welcome to the 21st Century, huh.
Ron...