View Full Version : Mobile Favorites?

fmvela
04-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Hello,

I know this may be a REALLY STUPID question, but how do I get the Mobile Favorites button on may Internet Explorer to actually put my Mobile Favorites on my Samsung i600.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

edgar
04-14-2006, 02:11 AM
No question is too stupid - we're all the same.

Use activesync

Under options make sure "Favorites" is selected to sync. Then you can highlight the favorites selection and click "settings" to see what is being synced

fmvela
04-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I check the options under ActiveSync and I can't seem to find "Favorites." Where should I look to list them as info to be synced??

Sven Johannsen
04-15-2006, 04:52 AM
Are you looking in AS on the desktop? Tools>Options. Should be a long list of things that can be sync'd, calendar, contacts, etc. Favorites should be one. The device needs to be connected to see the options.

fmvela
04-15-2006, 06:30 AM
the only things I have listed are Calendar, Contacts, Inbox, Tasks, and Smartphone Notes.

How do I get Favorites on the list to be synced?

edgar
04-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Click OPTIONS at the upper right, it lists all the items, then select the boxes of things you want

Mike Temporale
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
was this option supported on the i600? I thought favourites sync was a WinMo2003 option, no?

Sven Johannsen
04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
was this option supported on the i600? I thought favourites sync was a WinMo2003 option, no? It's supported on my WM5 devices, SP and PPC. Almost sounds like a re-install of AS might be in order.

fmvela, do you have a folder called 'Mobile Favorites' under Favorites in Internet Explorer on your desktop?

fmvela
04-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Yes, I do have a "Mobile Favorites" folder under my Favorites folder in Internet Explorer. I have put several mobile-friendly sites into it but the have not migrated over to my i600.

Incidentally, my i600 is running WM 2003.

Mike Temporale
04-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Alright... When you phone is connected and finished sync'ing, click on Active Sync on the desktop and select Tools / Options, highlight the Favourites item in the list and click the Settings button. Are any of your links selected?

fmvela
04-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a Favorites link under the ActiveSync options...only a Mobile Favorites folder under the Favorites folder in Internet Explorer. How do I put a Favorites folder under the ActiveSync options. I just upgraded to ActiveSync 4.1 but I did not have a Favorites folder under ActiveSync 3.8 either.

Mike Temporale
04-17-2006, 02:43 PM
It should be there automatically. It's not something you can add in. At least, not that I am aware.

I can't recall if I had mobile favourites on my 2003 device.

Sven Johannsen
04-18-2006, 04:49 AM
I have a WM2003SE device hooked up right now to an AS4.1 installation. It has a Favorites option and is syncing them. I know it was there under 3.8 as well. Really sounds like som re-installs are in order, but hard to say what.

jacklf
04-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm using a WM2003 device, but I've never seen this option with AS 3.8 or 4.1. I have done a fresh install within the last few months, starting with 4.1 this time. If you figure out how to make that option show up, I'd love to hear it as well. Could it just be that certain devices support it? I'm using a 5600.

edgar
04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I've had it ever since I created a "Mobile Favorites" folder in my favorites. It then was in my list of Activesynch Options and I could select which links to sync via Settings.

I created it by using the "TOOLS | CREATE MOBILE FAVORITE" menu item in IE

Here's the only weblink I could find that speaks to it somewhat

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/mobile/freepda.htm

fmvela
04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I've tried to do what you suggested Edgar. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, my Mobile Favorites selection does not sync to my phone. Further, there is no Favorites option under my AS options.

edgar
04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
OK, I'm an idiot it seems.

I don't see it under my smartphone - all this time I have been lookign under my PocketPC device.

I saw oen reference to having to manually copy them to the SP's favorites directory and that's it.

Sorry, like File Sync - the people behind the curtain running WM took it out on Smartphones.

I don't get it - what's with no File Sync and no Favorites?

BTW, I found a file sync third party for Smartphones, perhaps it does other directories as well - havem't thumped on it to try yet.

Rubber Stamped Data Sync 2.1.1
by RubberStampedData | www.rubberstampeddata.com
Commercial $11.95

Summary: Rubber Stamped Data Sync is an application designed to synchronize files and folders of any type to and from an MS Smartphone device.

-Edgar

jacklf
04-20-2006, 02:34 AM
ahh.. thanks for checking. Was really hoping for a happier ending, but I'll try the file sync idea.

edgar
04-20-2006, 02:41 AM
hmm They have a "rubberstamped Favorites" as well.

Mobile Favorites are nothing more than a directory full of links - perhaps you can use their software to sync that dir/files

If you try it, tell us how it goes.

-Edgar

jacklf
04-20-2006, 04:07 AM
I downloaded RSDFavorites.. there's a free trial. Works well and would be worth the $2 price.. It's slick, it's integrated into IE, and the favorites appear before you very eye's on your mobile device. But it's single directional. I'd prefer to also save my mobile favorites I bookmarked while mobile browsing to my PC as well.

RSDSync.. It works kind of like Microsoft's SyncToy, ecxept that it actually works with my WM2003 SMT5600. Plus, since it handle's sub-directories, the Favorites (for this use case) can be better organized.

Not a perfect solution for this, though as I haven't figured out how to make it pull files from the mobile device (true sync). I'm just starting to play with the demo, but so far it just copies new things down to my device. I guess they didn't want to have to deal with resolving conflicts (there's an option to not delete files, but that's the only applicable option)

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Well, shoot. You are right. Favorites syncs just fine on my Smartphone..the WM5 one. Not there on the old ones. Guess we must have picked that up in WM5 for Smartphones.