View Full Version : Upgrade from 5600 to 2125?

Terry Pickett
04-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I have the Audiovox 5600. Not having any problems. Thinking about upgrading to the Cingular 2125. Trying to figure if the upgrade is worth it. I will not be using Edge, as I rarely connect to the internet. Are there enough Mobile 5 applications out there? I know my data would be saved if the battery went dead. Just wonder if the money is justified if I am not a heavy corporate user other than phone and contact information?
Is Windows Mobile 5 a good enough upgrade by itself?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Temporale
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I know my data would be saved if the battery went dead.

That's always been the case with Smartphones. ;) Persistent Storage was new for the PPC side. So nothing has changed here.

The biggest difference is the screen. Hands down, the QVGA screen looks fabulous. As time goes by, you will see less and less applications for th WinMo 2003, and more stuff for WinMo5.

Terry Pickett
04-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I know my data would be saved if the battery went dead.

That's always been the case with Smartphones. ;) Persistent Storage was new for the PPC side. So nothing has changed here.

The biggest difference is the screen. Hands down, the QVGA screen looks fabulous. As time goes by, you will see less and less applications for th WinMo 2003, and more stuff for WinMo5.

So, you think it is worth the upgrade for the screen resolution, Mobile 5, even without email and internet use?

Mike Temporale
04-13-2006, 05:25 PM
So, you think it is worth the upgrade for the screen resolution, Mobile 5, even without email and internet use?

If you can afford it, yup.

Jerry Raia
04-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Do it. :)

Terry Pickett
04-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Do it. :)

I read one review that his 2125 kept running out of memory. He would be using the phone and now and then would get an out of memory warning. Have any of you guys been having this problem? The phone really doesn't have that much on-board memory. The OS takes up a lot of it, not leaving much left. That is the only person I recall with that problem, but before I spend the money, figured I need to check.

Terry Pickett
04-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Jerry,

How do like your 8125. I really had a bad experience with mine. Crashed, had to reboot all the time, Wi-Fi didn't work well, the phone ringer was soft, versus the 5600. The phone seemed to have a mind of its own, working when it felt like it. Cingular offered another one, I said no thanks.

Mike Temporale
04-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I read one review that his 2125 kept running out of memory. He would be using the phone and now and then would get an out of memory warning. Have any of you guys been having this problem? The phone really doesn't have that much on-board memory. The OS takes up a lot of it, not leaving much left. That is the only person I recall with that problem, but before I spend the money, figured I need to check.

I have had memory issues, yes. But those were caused by specific circumstances. I would suggest you get a miniSD card with the phone an be sure to install 90% of the applications on the card. Then you won't have any problems.

The issue has nothing to do with the size of the OS. There is a fair amount of memory available for programs. It will get consumed quickly if you're not careful.

Jerry Raia
04-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Jerry,

How do like your 8125. I really had a bad experience with mine. Crashed, had to reboot all the time, Wi-Fi didn't work well, the phone ringer was soft, versus the 5600. The phone seemed to have a mind of its own, working when it felt like it. Cingular offered another one, I said no thanks.

It has some issues yes. My biggest complaint is that it is a bit on the slow side. I seem to have tweaked out the WiFi issues I was having. It does need to be soft reset from time to time. Still at this point I can say I like the device. I install so much software on my devices that it is hard to tell what could be a device vs application issue.