View Full Version : .NET Framwork - unable to install on SP5

encece
04-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I cant get this to install. I now have a SP5 there are a few plugins installed onto my phone and everything else is installed to SD.

My TempInternet files have been cleared and I have restarted the phone and am sure nothing else is running.

But still it says there is not enough room to install onto my phone.

Here is a screenshot of my memory. I dont understand. Am I supposed to install onto the SD or into Main Memory. It seems like a big file.

The only reason I want to install is to install BlueCast.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, while I'm at it...can anyone give me a good explanation what this Compact Framework is and why it's necessary to develop apps using it? If it's so necessary...why isn't it included in the first place.

I have never seen an app that was made using it being anything I would call visually appealing and on the face of them anything that could be considered the Greatest App ever. Is it a simpler programming language that is easy to write for?
https://home.comcast.net/~ncornaglia/shared/ss000.JPG

Mike Temporale
04-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Also, while I'm at it...can anyone give me a good explanation what this Compact Framework is and why it's necessary to develop apps using it? If it's so necessary...why isn't it included in the first place.

I have never seen an app that was made using it being anything I would call visually appealing and on the face of them anything that could be considered the Greatest App ever. Is it a simpler programming language that is easy to write for?

Ok, I'll start here first. The CF is a set of libraries that give the programmer access to different parts of the OS. CF is a subset of the larger desktop counter part .Net Framework. You many not be aware of it, but a great number of programs that you use take advantage of the CF. Your Smartphone ships with .Net CF1 burned into the ROM. At the time WinMo5 was released (April or so of 2005) .Net CF2 was not ready. So WinMo5 ships with the older CF1. Anyone that builds applications for Windows Mobile using Visual Studio 2003 would be using .Net CF1. Once the developer community upgrades to Visual Studio2005, they are going to start using .Net CF2. Version 2 was released around the same time as AKU2 (September of 2005). IMHO, it should be part of AKU2, but because it has larger requirements than CF1, Microsoft won't include it in an update. From what I can figure out, updates are not allowed to change the requirements of a given device. So they can't include it in AKU2. Confused yet? It's pretty messy, but you're going to see more and more programs needing this prior to installation.

I cant get this to install. I now have a SP5 there are a few plugins installed onto my phone and everything else is installed to SD.

My TempInternet files have been cleared and I have restarted the phone and am sure nothing else is running.

But still it says there is not enough room to install onto my phone.

Here is a screenshot of my memory. I dont understand. Am I supposed to install onto the SD or into Main Memory. It seems like a big file.

I would recommend against installing it on the memory card.

You only have 2 MB free. You need to get this number up. Something is eating up a lot of space on your device. I haven't installed CF2 yet, but it's planned in the coming days. Maybe I'll even get to it today. ;) However, my free storage is at 10MB. Something is taking up space on your phone. Do you use POcket MSN? That downloads all your hotmail to the phone. Try going into Pocket MSN and hitting the switch user button. That should clear out any hotmail files.

You need to find some more space on the local phone. :?

encece
04-13-2006, 02:45 AM
I have ABSOLUTELY NO Idea what is eating up memory. I have next to nothing installed onto my phone and have deleted the unnecessary items like homescreens, photos etc that I will never use. I made sure I have no poorly or failed installs...everything is fine. But my memory is where it's at and seems to be lower today than yesterday. I'm doing a hard reset just to see what the culprit is when I reinstall.

Mike Temporale
04-13-2006, 03:17 AM
After the hard reset, note the max value. For me, on a SP5m with AKU2 it's 13.82MB Then with data and email setup it drops to 12mb and now it's at 9mb or so.

encece
04-13-2006, 08:19 AM
13.82 for me as well. Now to install everything again :(

encece
04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
12.20 after synchronization with outlook
11.83 after unlocking, installing Cingular Settings Cab, imates PowerMgmt (which can only be installed onto phone), And a few CAB installations onto SD.
11.89 after installing Modaco's MessengerLink cab...breaks out Messenger from PocketMSN
11.88 after adding owner info, setting clocks, sounds and profiles.
6.52 after installing .NET CF 2.0 :(
5.93 after installing most of my applications...all to SD (This includes a couple of homescreen plugins and ewallet data to the phone)
5.46 after adding a couple of ringtones

These are all of the same apps I had installed before with the exception of SmartMonitor homescreen plugin and RJTime.

I need to keep an eye on this. Thanks Again.

Mike Temporale
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised at how much space CF2 used. :?

jacklf
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
11.83 after unlocking, installing Cingular Settings Cab, imates PowerMgmt (which can only be installed onto phone), And a few CAB installations onto SD.

if I hard-reset my phone, I have to unlock it again? I've been thinking about doing a hard reset on my 5600, but I have no idea where the unlock utility I bought when i first go it would be anymore. :(

Mike Temporale
04-13-2006, 07:36 PM
if I hard-reset my phone, I have to unlock it again? I've been thinking about doing a hard reset on my 5600, but I have no idea where the unlock utility I bought when i first go it would be anymore. :(

Software unlock - yes, SIM unlock - no. Once the phone is SIM unlocked it's SIM unlocked for good.

jacklf
04-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Software unlock - yes, SIM unlock - no. Once the phone is SIM unlocked it's SIM unlocked for good.

ahh, perfect -- thanks Mike!

encece
04-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised at how much space CF2 used. :?

I added my mail accounts today (two accounts currently with no messages) and had WMP index the songs on my card. I also have downloaded newsbreak items and now I am down to 4.82 MB

At this rate...I should have no Storage memory at all!

Thanks MS for not making CF 2.0 backwards compatible
or
thanks for not including it on WM5
or
thanks for not letting it overwrite 1.1 to save space
or
thanks for not including it on the latest WM5 upgrades.

SHEEESH! :roll:

Mike Temporale
04-14-2006, 02:02 AM
I'm trying to get a technical reason as to why this is the case. I'll let you know once I do.

encece
04-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks.

encece
04-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Here is another oddity. My phone would periodically lock up so I decided to hard reset again. This time after syncing I am left with only 11.98 free. Very odd. Why wouldnt it be the same as before?

Mike Temporale
04-15-2006, 02:33 AM
More data from Outlook? Just a guess.

encece
04-15-2006, 03:07 AM
That's what is perplexing. No more data was added as far as I know. My calendar is set for the past 6 months and forward. So, since I didnt add anything, every day should show less, in theory.

There is either a memory leak in the phone, a log that keeps getting added to, or something else...either way, it's funky.

Since my last reset, I did not load .Net CF 2.0. The only reason I needed it was to use BlueCast. I think the sound sounds better thru my headset than the "hack" option. But I'll do without it for now. I dont think that is causing problems, it's just that with the amount of space it eats up....it's not worth loading right now.

encece
04-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Just looked at my phone. No photos. No videos. No apps installed. No mail in my mailboxes. A few apps installed on SD but that's it. Other than PIM info there is noting on the phone itself.

I only have 8.97 free. Somthing's up and it's not good.

Mike Temporale
04-17-2006, 02:13 PM
That's right around the mark where mine hangs out. If you have IE temp files stored locally then it's going to keep getting smaller. But mine has been at 8-10 mb since I flashed my device with AKU2.

encece
04-17-2006, 02:43 PM
oops. forgot about temp files. didnt move them to sd card yet. now it's 10.33

That's right around the mark where mine hangs out. If you have IE temp files stored locally then it's going to keep getting smaller. But mine has been at 8-10 mb since I flashed my device with AKU2.