View Full Version : Windows Media Player Sync Error with T-Mobile SDA

jherskowitz
04-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Does anyone know if the new ROM fixes this issue: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&id=80070428?

For some inexblicable reason, the commercially deployed version of Windows Mobile 5.0 has a bug that only allows 25 WMDRM-protected tracks to be synced. If you check out the error message above, you'll see that Microsoft has basically washed their hands of the problem saying "we sent an update to your carrier". After going through 3 escalations on T-Mobile's support line (inevitabely making it to their India call center - where all the technical knowledge resides), I was told "sorry, we don't have the update - and have no idea when we'll get it or deploy it"

Has anyone tried syncing any Napster/Rhapsody/Yahoo-to-Go tracks with this phone? Does it work?

Mike Temporale
04-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I moved your post over here because it had nothing to do with the thread you posted it in. ;)

Microsoft regularly releases updates to the manufacturers. These updates are called AKU (Adaption Kit Update) If I recall correctly they are released every month or two. Each release contains bug fixes and minor changes. It's up to the manufacturer and then the carrier to decide if they want to release this to their customers.

You have no hope of getting support on this from Microsoft. Mainly because you are not their customer. The carrier is. Just like you can't download a ROM update from Microsoft, it has to come from the carrier.

I'm not surprised that T-Mo is not offering any help. The tech support people would have no clue about the actual development/release cycle of the OS, or the companies plans for future releases. Sorry, but the only people that can help you is T-Mo. Your best option is to talk with your local sales rep and let him know how disappointed you are.

Hope that shelds a little light on the situation for you. :D

jherskowitz
04-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks. Do you know if the recently release AKU2 update that iMate posted solves this problem? If so, does putting iMate's firmware on my T-Mobile branded version of the phone screw anything up?

Mike Temporale
04-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Thanks. Do you know if the recently release AKU2 update that iMate posted solves this problem? If so, does putting iMate's firmware on my T-Mobile branded version of the phone screw anything up?

No idea, and most likely - yes.

Each ROM is tuned to the specific phone. Each phone, while they may appear the same, and even have the same codename, can have different parts based on what the carrier wanted to pay. The ROMs are then customized to the individual phone's hardware.