View Full Version : Change Activesync Device Name?

brianchris
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
How do I change the davice name (as used and displayed by Activesync). I know how to to that in PocketPC's, but I can't figure it out in WM5 Smartphone.

I believe I *have* determined that the name initially given/created is determined by the Windows XP Windows user account you're logged into upon the device's first sync (a "WM_" is thrown in front of it). So, for example: WM_Brian where Brian is the exact name of my Windows XP user account.

I really would like to change that device name, and can't find a way to do it. Thanks!

Jerry Raia
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Tweaks2k2 (http://www.tweaks2k2.com/) will do it for you.

Mike Temporale
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Or you can edit the registry yourself. Depends on your comfort level. It's stored in the following key. And make sure you don't put any spaces in it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Ident\Name

brianchris
04-06-2006, 10:57 PM
So, either way it appears I need to install extra software to accomplish this (either a registry editor or Tweaks 2k2), correct?

Thanks again!

Mike Temporale
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Yup. :(

Jerry Raia
04-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure if any of the free Registry Editors work on WM5 either. I use the one with Resco Explorer.

Sven Johannsen
04-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Yup. :(But not on the phone necessarily. Mobile Registry Editor works for me in my SP5. It installs on the PC. http://www.breaksoft.com/Blog/posts/2006/2/Mobile_Registry_Editor_1.2_Preview.aspx

Mike Temporale
04-07-2006, 02:05 PM
But not on the phone necessarily. Mobile Registry Editor works for me in my SP5. It installs on the PC. http://www.breaksoft.com/Blog/posts/2006/2/Mobile_Registry_Editor_1.2_Preview.aspx

Cool. I didn't know that there was a anything that worked on WinMo5. Good to know, thanks! :)

byrnefm
06-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I can confirm it works for me too - I used the Mobile Registry Editor to change my Smartphone's name (WM 5). Worked a charm! :)

billcalle
06-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I went the registry editor route myself and it worked like a charm (or so I thought). When I sync'ed up the name changed in ActiveSync and I thought everything was finished. The next day (after a machine reboot) when I tried to sync, the name was changed back in ActiveSync but not in my device. ActiveSync tried to create a new partnership but then complained because this device was already sync'ing with this machine. After trying many things, I had to delete the partenership on the device and on ActiveSync and recreate it again. On doing so, the device registry change was reset.

As I've seen this hack posted in several places I assume there was something I did wrong or unique to my situation. That said, in the end I just decided to go with the default name and avoid the trouble.

c_prano
09-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Ah, but there is a way! To view or change your smartphone's current Device ID: Press Start, then select Settings. Choose the System tab, then select About. Select the Device ID tab, and observe the "Device name." This is the same device name that appears in ActiveSync on your desktop PC

Cheerio!

Mike Temporale
09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Ah, but there is a way! To view or change your smartphone's current Device ID: Press Start, then select Settings. Choose the System tab, then select About. Select the Device ID tab, and observe the "Device name." This is the same device name that appears in ActiveSync on your desktop PC

Cheerio!

Thanks, but that's for a Pocket PC device. We're talking about Smartphones ;)

c_prano
09-20-2006, 03:09 PM
My apologies.

Mike Temporale
09-20-2006, 03:13 PM
No worries. It's a major source of confusion. And it doesn't help that some PPCs are advertised as Smartphones. :roll: Anyway, that's a topic for another day. ;)

c_prano
09-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes indeed. As a matter of fact, I retreived this information (including the word "smartphone") from the Treo 700w website (a PPC). While I understand the difference, one of the forum post-ers had an avatar of the Cingular 8125, which happens to be another PPC.

False advertising sucks.

jackdornothing
10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Or you can edit the registry yourself. Depends on your comfort level. It's stored in the following key. And make sure you don't put any spaces in it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Ident\Name

Many, many thanks!

I searched nearly 2 hours for this... I just didn't see this registry key in Mobile Registry Editor!

Best regards

Jerry Raia
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the site! :)

edu1981
12-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Disconnect Axim from your PC.
On the Pocket PC ->
1. Start > Settings > System > About > Device ID
2. Change the Device Name to what you want, and press OK

Sven Johannsen
12-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Disconnect Axim from your PC.
On the Pocket PC ->
1. Start > Settings > System > About > Device ID
2. Change the Device Name to what you want, and press OK

That is solution, that is the solution IF you have a PPC. We are talking Smartphones here and similarities notwithstanding, that option just isn't available. Why? Who knows? Maybe someone will get the chance to ask someone who may know, some day. But until then, or MS sees fit to change it in a new SP release, you have to resort to registry hacking for the most basic form of personalization..naming your baby.

Mike Temporale
12-28-2006, 08:09 PM
But until then, or MS sees fit to change it in a new SP release, you have to resort to registry hacking for the most basic form of personalization..naming your baby.

On Vista, you can do this from the WMDC. So the problem is better. It would be nice if you could control this on the phone. , but at least you can change it from the PC and you don't have to resort to registry hacking.

Sven Johannsen
12-29-2006, 04:32 AM
On Vista, you can do this from the WMDC. So the problem is better. It would be nice if you could control this on the phone. , but at least you can change it from the PC and you don't have to resort to registry hacking.Haven't found that to be 100% consistant yet. I've hooked up a new device and had it decide to change the name for me without giving me a chance to change it. WMDC is still beta though, so you may be right. Shame that you have to upgrade PC OSs though to name your WM device ;)

Mike Temporale
12-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Haven't found that to be 100% consistant yet. I've hooked up a new device and had it decide to change the name for me without giving me a chance to change it. WMDC is still beta though, so you may be right. Shame that you have to upgrade PC OSs though to name your WM device ;)

It don't think it asked me during the setup, but once it was connected, I found a setting to change it. Can't recall where exactly, but I'll try and locate it and let you know.

Update: Alright - I'm sure I changed the name of the device after setup, but I can't find where I did that. :?

ditch_azeroth
01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
after a fresh hard reset, you are usually given the option to name your device on your first activesync. it should be in the registry somewhere, but i can't quite put a finger on where it is exactly

Jerry Raia
01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
HKLM>Ident>Name :)