View Full Version : Windows Mobile: Better Than an iPod?

Jerry Raia
04-05-2006, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/apr06/ipod.aspx' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/apr06/ipod.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The phenomenal success of the iPod never ceases to amaze me. Why would people pay so much money for a barebones, single-function device when they could have a multi-functional Windows Mobile device for the same price? Now the big buzz is that the iPod can do video. Big deal! The Pocket PC has been able to display video from its inception in April of 2000, and more recent Windows Mobile devices can do a whole lot more!"</i><br /><br />Even though I'm not big on playing music and videos on my Smartphone the point is well taken. The iPod is really just a two trick pony and a late comer at that. When you consider, as mentioned in this article, that you can even stream satellite or broadcast radio you have a formidable device. We should be proud! :mrgreen:

courtwshr1
04-05-2006, 12:36 AM
I couldn't agree more. I never post here, but this topic really drives me crazy. I realize that style is important, but sometimes it just gets out of hand. I have same issues with the RAZR as with the iPod - they cost more, do less, and sell like hotcakes! What is it with these things?

Mark Kenepp
04-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I have same issues with the RAZR as with the iPod - they cost more, do less, and sell like hotcakes! What is it with these things?

"Caressability (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10199)"

Sven Johannsen
04-05-2006, 01:49 AM
What is it with these things?Advertising, perception. When did you last see a PPC ad... on primetime. Ever tried to make something designed to hook to your PC to help organize your life - cool? Sadly enough, if you ripped out all the capability of the PPC except the media, music, pictures, video, and optimized the UI for that, you could sell more of them.

mikestew
04-05-2006, 01:50 AM
I've owned a couple of Win Mobile devices, currently on a Cingular 8125. I also own a Nano. Why? Because the WinMob devices make for passable, but not great music players. "Passable" is fine if you don't use it as a music player much, but that doesn't cut it for regular use.

I've got a whole host of reasons for owning an iPod and a WinMob device, and using the iPod for audio. A lot of them are "fit and finish", but when enough of those pile up it makes for a far better package. Other reasons have been beaten to death here and elsewhere.

If your pony only does one trick, it could be that he does it far better than the other ponies who try to include other tricks in their act.

leroybrown
04-05-2006, 04:18 AM
I have same issues with the RAZR as with the iPod - they cost more, do less, and sell like hotcakes! What is it with these things?

"Caressability (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10199)"

You've said the magic word - that's a great post BTW.

MitchellO
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I've owned a couple of Win Mobile devices, currently on a Cingular 8125. I also own a Nano. Why? Because the WinMob devices make for passable, but not great music players. "Passable" is fine if you don't use it as a music player much, but that doesn't cut it for regular use.

I've got a whole host of reasons for owning an iPod and a WinMob device, and using the iPod for audio. A lot of them are "fit and finish", but when enough of those pile up it makes for a far better package. Other reasons have been beaten to death here and elsewhere.

If your pony only does one trick, it could be that he does it far better than the other ponies who try to include other tricks in their act.

i agree. i have an imate sp5, dell axim x50v and a 30gb ipod video and for music i will choose the ipod every time. why? simplicity and capacity. 30gb beats them both, as i can listen to any of my music library and podcasts with ease. i don't really use the video function but its not a video device. its a better ipod that can play video but is designed for audio. and audio it does well.

keirmeister
04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I gave my Yepp 1GB to my wife, and used my SP3i as a music player. It couldn't hold alot (even after converting everything to the smaller WMA size). The 3rd party players I tried were not great.

I then got an iPod Video. It holds everything and more. It's stylish...elegant. The UI is simple, to-the-point, and easily accessible with one hand.

I now also have an Axim X51v. Gorgeous! But it doesn't have 30GB of storage. It's not as simple to select and play music - even with 3rd party stuff. But it can do everything, and I don't need to re-encode videos that I save to it (thanks TCPMP!).

But I also walk at least 40 minutes a day to and from work (and then maybe a lunch stroll). The iPod fills the music-playing need perfectly. A PDA simply doesn't work well for that (assuming you're like me, and you like to shuffle around, picking songs at random, etc.).

My SP3i is a phone. That's what it does best.

The Axim...well, it's just cool. And it allows me to use a computer away from a computer.

But the iPod functions as my central repository of my favorite MP3s, and I can take it with me during my long walks. I do find, however, that I'm watching videos less and less on it, and instead doing that on the Axim.

I will say that if someone comes up with a good PDA with 30GB storage, good battery power, and an intuitive, accessible multimedia-playing interface....the iPod will get eBay'd in, like, 2 seconds.

- Keirmeister

MitchellO
04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I gave my Yepp 1GB to my wife, and used my SP3i as a music player. It couldn't hold alot (even after converting everything to the smaller WMA size). The 3rd party players I tried were not great.

I then got an iPod Video. It holds everything and more. It's stylish...elegant. The UI is simple, to-the-point, and easily accessible with one hand.

I now also have an Axim X51v. Gorgeous! But it doesn't have 30GB of storage. It's not as simple to select and play music - even with 3rd party stuff. But it can do everything, and I don't need to re-encode videos that I save to it (thanks TCPMP!).

But I also walk at least 40 minutes a day to and from work (and then maybe a lunch stroll). The iPod fills the music-playing need perfectly. A PDA simply doesn't work well for that (assuming you're like me, and you like to shuffle around, picking songs at random, etc.).

My SP3i is a phone. That's what it does best.

The Axim...well, it's just cool. And it allows me to use a computer away from a computer.

But the iPod functions as my central repository of my favorite MP3s, and I can take it with me during my long walks. I do find, however, that I'm watching videos less and less on it, and instead doing that on the Axim.

I will say that if someone comes up with a good PDA with 30GB storage, good battery power, and an intuitive, accessible multimedia-playing interface....the iPod will get eBay'd in, like, 2 seconds.

- Keirmeister

Exactly what I wanted to say (except I was posting from my SP5 at the time :P).

The iPod has the good size, excellent capacity and the battery life. Neither the SP5 or X50v can go head-to-head with it for those features.

Rocco Augusto
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
right now i have a 2125 and my old iPod. my iPod has been collecting dust forever. why? well because i personally dont need 20gigs worth of music. sure its handy to have all that storage but realisticly who really needs it?

my 1gb miniSD card lets me hold 8-14 full albums or about 7 full albums and a couple tv shows or a movie or two, depending on how i encoded it. i walk to a from work, about 30 minutes both ways, just enough time to listen to half an album... not enough time to listen to a million albums.

if i feel the need to listen to something that isnt on my phone then i just sync my phone up to one of the four computers im in front of all day and put the album or movie i want on it. no big deal.

also with the right headphones my phone will sound as good as my iPod does anyday. so for me it all comes down to this. what does opti need? a man purse full of gadgets that all play music or my phone, which is going with me everywhere anyways, that can do it all and do it all very well i might add. very well with one hand.. or thumb for that matter and a lot quicker then any mp3/video player can do thats currently on the market.

xerxes
04-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Better design, better usability and much much much better marketing.

Then there's also the fact that 99% of the public neither need nor want the complexity that comes in the box with every PC style product, and I'm including smartphones, Macs etc in that. Most people still see computers as a necessary evil for getting work done at the moment. It's changing slowly but its still going to be a while before the average guy in the street sees any advantage in carrying a computer around in his pocket.

subzerohf
04-07-2006, 01:04 AM
... what does opti need? a man purse full of gadgets that all play music or my phone, which is going with me everywhere anyways, that can do it all and do it all very well i might add. very well with one hand.. or thumb for that matter and a lot quicker then any mp3/video player can do thats currently on the market.

..well said, man. Totally. 8)