View Full Version : SDA -- wired headset problems -- sanity check?!

FourWheelDrift31
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi guys,
For the entire few weeks I've owned my SDA, when I've used a wired headset with it, the people I'm talking to tell me my voice is extremely distant and muffled. Using the phone itself, or a BT headset--no problem. It's only with wired headsets. I've tried several headsets which work fine with other phones.

After 90 mins on the phone with TMobile tech support, they finally tell me that the SDA is only designed to be used with wired headsets made SPECIFICALLY FOR THE SDA. This sounds completely ridiculous to me and like a blowoff--it's a standard 2.5mm headset jack.

Has anyone else heard this, or had problems with wired headsets on the SDA?

dh
03-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I have an old Jabra wired headset that I've used with multiple phones over the years. I find that it doesn't seem to be compatible with my SP5 at all. I can hear OK, but the mike doesn't seem to function.

Not too concerned because I want to get a BT headset anyway, I'm waiting for the Plantronics 645 to become available.

dh

Sven Johannsen
03-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Could be some truth to this. Two options- They could actually have a special mic but I doubt it. Are you using, or have you tried, the headset that does come with it? I can tell you that all 2.5mm headsets aren't wired the same. That can certainly make a difference.

Rocco Augusto
03-28-2006, 12:15 AM
they were telling the truth, that device does use a special headset. if you take a look at a standard universal 2.5mm headset you will notice that it only has 2 bands on the male connection portion of the headset.

now if you take a look at the headset that comes with the sda/5600/2125/htc devices you will notice that there are 3 bands there. that third band is used for the answering and hanging up of calls as well as the mic. you can use standard headphones all day long to listen to music but if you want to talk through the headset you need the one with the special 3 band connector made to tailor this device.

different companies use different headsets. the only manufacturers that i can think of that do not use the standard 2.5mm headset are nokia, samsung, htc, sony ericson, and motorola (v3 only)

FourWheelDrift31
03-28-2006, 02:10 AM
To answer some questions: Yes I've used the headset that came with it, and that headset works fine (though it's marginal quality, as expected.)

The included headset has FOUR metal bands on the plug. The other headsets I've been trying have THREE metal bands.

Note that the phone's headset jack is a 2.5mm jack (headset-size), not 3.5mm (standard stereo headPHONE size for MP3 players, etc.)

When used with a landline phone, there's no significant volume difference between the handset and the headsets (I'm testing two third-party headsets, both very high-quality--theBoom, and Etymotic.)

Any idea if that fourth metal band is causing problems?

Sven Johannsen
03-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Yea it is a connection issue. Normal cell phones have three conductors - ear, mic and common. PPC Phones and Smartphones have 4 conductors - left, right, mic and common. You can often plug a three conductor stereo earphone- left, right, common, into a 4 conducor jack and you will get stereo but no mic. Normally the mic is shorted out. Sometimes it is set to use the mic on the device, and the stereo earphones.

It is quite unusual to find a 3 conductor cell phone headset that will work right in a 4 conductor jack. So buying one for a Nokia or something isn't a good idea. As far as 2.5mm headphone (stereo) and mic units go, they aren't even consistant about how they are wired. It seems all my HTC devices are the same, wizard, SP5, SMT5600, but they are not interchangeable with the one for my MPX220 (motorola).

FourWheelDrift31
03-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Interesting... so I wonder if they make an adapter for the SDA (HTC Amadeus) to adapt a standard 2.5mm jack. I hope it didn't damage the regular headsets...

Anybody know if they make this kind of thing?

Sven Johannsen
03-29-2006, 01:22 AM
If you are looking for an adapter to plug a standard stereo headset in, yea. Esotechtrix is a good source. http://stores.ebay.com/esoTechTrix

Seidio makes good aftermarket headsets. http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp