View Full Version : SP5 and SP5m MSFP ROM Update Available From i-mate

Mike Temporale
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.clubimate.com' target='_blank'>http://www.clubimate.com</a><br /><br /></div>It's here! If you have a i-mate SP5 or SP5m Smartphone, you can login to Club i-mate and download the latest ROM that includes MSFP. :D You can also download the ROM updates from the FTP server - but be careful. There are 2 versions of this update for the SP5(m) devices. If you go through the web pages it offers up 2.6.331.2, but over FTP you will also see a version number 2.5.331.2. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I think it's safe to go with the file being offered up from the web site. I have also found that the download speed is faster from the website - most likely due to caching on the web server.<br /><br />Just in case MSFP isn't enough of a reason for you to upgrade your device, I have included a full list of all the updates below. ;)<br /> <!> <br /><br /><b>Microsoft™ Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP): </b><br />Addition of the MSFP allowing Direct Push email, remote device wiping, security policy enforcement and Global Address List Lookup for customers using a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2. <br /><br /><b>File beaming over Bluetooth: </b><br />It is now possible to beam files over Bluetooth using the file manager. <br /><br /><b>Improved radio functionality: </b><br />• Microphone level has been boosted. <br />• Cell Broadcast display is now supported. <br />• Line2 functionality introduced. <br />• Busy Tone corrected. <br />• Improved the echo suppression. <br />• USSD service support is upgraded. <br /><br /><b>Updated MMS: </b><br />• MMS will now operate until there is only 1 Mb of free storage space. Previously this limit was set at 4Mb. <br />• MMS client updated to the current version <br /><br /><b>Improved Pocket Internet Explorer: </b><br />• Frames functionality now supported in the browser. <br />• Quick navigation using Page Up key (key 2) and Page Down key (key 8 ). <br /><br /><b>Keypad Light Timing: </b><br />The timeout of the keypad light can now be set. There is a utility in the 'Utilities' section of the SP5m support pages that will let you set it. Note that setting the keypad light over 8 seconds will cause significant reduction in battery life. <br /><br /><b>Voice Dial: </b><br />Voice Dial reliability from handset has been improved. <br /><br /><b>Communication Manager: </b><br />Communication Manager has been updated to allow current data services to be stopped, Direct Push email to be started/stopped using a single button press, and flight mode to be switched on/off. <br /><br /><b>Reminders: </b><br />When the device is locked, calendar reminders can be snoozed by using the joystick. Previously it was only possible to press the numeric key associated with the menu option to snooze a reminder. <br /><br /><b>Bluetooth: </b><br />• Car Kit interface: Address book sync can now be performed to car kits. <br />• Bluetooth Beaming from file manager has now been improved (more reliable and faster). <br /><br /><b>Java: </b><br />Updated Java client to latest version.

Jerry Raia
03-22-2006, 03:31 PM
C'mon Cingular! I want to join the party here!

xultar
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM

So, no A2DP? I can live with that. I WANT THE EFFIN UPDATE MAN. I NEED IT LIKE CRACK! :drinking: :scrambleup: :shocked!:

My honest impression is that Cingular won't allow HTC to do the update. WATCH!

HalM
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Downloaded, installed and my SP5 phone is reconfigured. Direct Push rocks!

pugwonk
03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Good skills Mike - fast on the uptake as usual. Do you not have a job or something? 8O

These all look like quite a major update - I was especially pleased when I read...

Reminders:
When the device is locked

And then utterly dismayed as it continued...

, calendar reminders can be snoozed by using the joystick. Previously it was only possible to press the numeric key associated with the menu option to snooze a reminder.

WHAT? We've fixed a bug - when the keypad was locked, it turned out you could still press some of the keys, so we've fixed this by adding some more? Nyeearrrgggghhh....

Chris

Mike Temporale
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Good skills Mike - fast on the uptake as usual. Do you not have a job or something? 8O

Actually, at the moment; No I don't. :(

pgb55
03-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Hello.
Will the update support bluetooth stereo?
Thanks,
Peter

Jerry Raia
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I have sent an email off to my contact at HTC regarding the 2125. No response so far. :(

xultar
03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I have sent an email off to my contact at HTC regarding the 2125. No response so far. :(

Tell your contact I will offer them a rock your world 'horizontal mombo' dance if they put the update out there for the 2125.

Mark Kenepp
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
I wonder if this update will work on the T-Mobile SDA?

jfreiman
03-23-2006, 12:10 AM

I got this email from HTC America a couple of days ago:

Cingular is still testing the next ROM update before it is released.
Unfortunately there is no official release date yet but the best case scenario is most likely mid-April.

Thanks,
xxxxxx xxxxxxx
HTC America

Name provided. ;-)

amg212
03-23-2006, 01:20 AM
I emailed HTC America today to find out what's going on with the Cingular 2125. I got a FAST response:

Once the OEM (HTC) releases the ROM image to Cingular for testing, it is up to them to determine the release schedule. Cingular is testing the new AKU release with MSFP for both the Cingular 2125 and 8125 devices but I have not heard any word on a release date yet. Hopefully it is soon as the demand is certainly high.

Regards,

XXXX XXXX
HTC America

Jerry Raia
03-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I emailed HTC America today to find out what's going on with the Cingular 2125. I got a FAST response:

Once the OEM (HTC) releases the ROM image to Cingular for testing, it is up to them to determine the release schedule. Cingular is testing the new AKU release with MSFP for both the Cingular 2125 and 8125 devices but I have not heard any word on a release date yet. Hopefully it is soon as the demand is certainly high.

Regards,

XXXX XXXX
HTC America

So much for my source. :lol:

Mike Temporale
03-23-2006, 04:17 AM
I wonder if this update will work on the T-Mobile SDA?

Nope. Not much chance of that.

aguttad
03-23-2006, 05:26 AM
Hi Mike,

I keep reading how we are supposed to backup our units before doing this major overall and certainly understand the need, but can't find a way to do it with MSAS 4.x? Do I really need to just save all the files on the phone, do the upgrade, re-install the myriad of apps I've installed and restore the files? That is a major nightmare?

Thoughts? :(

wshwe
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
It'll be months before TMo USA offers the update. :cry:

Mike Temporale
03-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi Mike,

I keep reading how we are supposed to backup our units before doing this major overall and certainly understand the need, but can't find a way to do it with MSAS 4.x? Do I really need to just save all the files on the phone, do the upgrade, re-install the myriad of apps I've installed and restore the files? That is a major nightmare?

Thoughts? :(

Active Sync doesn't do backup. For Pocket PCs it will copy a couple settings, but it's a long way from a backup.

There is no good solution for backing up your Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone. Just make sure you have a copy of everything you need off the phone. That's about all you can do. ;)

pgb55
03-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Hello.
I was curious how to get the push email working?
I go to the com manager, but not able to access option 4 (or 5 for that matter. I'm using the i-mate SP5M on Cingular's network.
Thanks!

iJITSU
03-23-2006, 08:30 PM
If you are impatient like me, just download the SPV developers tool, change the CID(?) to you phone, and then you can load the SP5 ROM to your phone even if it's not an SP5. I have the newest SP5 ROM on my 2125 and so far it's working fine. Call quality seems improved, PIE supports frames, etc. Nice.

jfreiman
03-24-2006, 02:59 AM
If you are impatient like me, just download the SPV developers tool, change the CID(?) to you phone, and then you can load the SP5 ROM to your phone even if it's not an SP5. I have the newest SP5 ROM on my 2125 and so far it's working fine. Call quality seems improved, PIE supports frames, etc. Nice.

I'm about to update my 2125 with the new ROM and unless it totally kills my phone it can't be any worse than what I have already. ;-)

However, I'm curious about 2 things....

1. The SP5 has Wifi and I'm wondering if that will use up more space in the ROM than the one which shipped with the 2125.
2. The 2125 has the (additional?) antenna for the 1900mhz range.

Have you seen any issues with either of these differences?

Also, I hope it will be easy to change to a new updated Cingular ROM in the future. Normally I would wait for an official ROM to be released before doing something like this but honestly, I can barely use my phone in my own apt (where all my other HTC and Nokia phones) have worked in the past.

I'm hoping the radio updates help me out.

iJITSU
03-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Haven't noticed a difference in signal strength since loading the SP5 ROM, but the call quality actually seems better. There does appear to be less memory available. Lastly, I loaded the 2125 ROM back just to make sure I could, and it worked fine. Of course, I promptly loaded the SP5 ROM back. Loving IE with frames support. No longer need Opera.

jfreiman
03-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Well, I completed the upgrade and now, for the first time since I upgraded to the 2125 I can make call from my apartment!!! YEA!

Call/voice quality is considerably improved as well.

My internet settings appear to have been retained because I can get internet access. However, I do not seem to be receiving Edge support because the icon is a big G (GPRS).

Things I notice:

Start Menu
The Start Menu items have been moved around and Settings is now in the #9 position, many other icons have been relocated.

Home Screen
The Home Screens are modified too. The Windows Default home screen seems to have larger fonts or something - there is more too it than that, but larger is at least one change from the Cingular ROM.

I'm sure there are other cosmetic changes, but for me that's the little stuff. The thing that matters to me is that I am free to make and receive calls at home!

Mike Temporale
03-24-2006, 04:07 AM
I do not seem to be receiving Edge support because the icon is a big G (GPRS).

Not true. The icon in the title bar doesn't reflect the current connection type. You can do the registry hack to change it to the E if you like. But the hack is only changing the displayed icon. Your phone will automatically connect to the EDGE network. There's nothing you need to do.

Start Menu
The Start Menu items have been moved around and Settings is now in the #9 position, many other icons have been relocated.

It's always been there. ;)

pugwonk
03-24-2006, 09:33 AM
I went ahead and did this last night. I think people are generally in the habit of assuming that all sorts of new things came with firmware upgrades ("I installed the new version of the SP5 firmware, and now my oven cooks faster!") so I was a bit sceptical.

So far the only thing I've noticed are the new Connections screen, which is interesting (though I haven't used anything on it yet) and the fact that I have MUCH more internal storage space free. I have synchronised all the stuff I had on it before, and now I have 9mb free instead of 2mb. Coupled with the dropping of the ludicrous "need 4mb free to send an MMS", I wonder if this could be the end of the SP5 memory woes, which have been my biggest gripe since I bought it?

Chris

annyksa
03-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Hello, that update sounds great, u say its at club imate, i went there and i don;t see any rom update at all, how am i missing it, my eyes are open 8O

arikinthecity
03-25-2006, 04:54 PM
The display inthe Cingular stores for the 8125 has an * detail at the bottom of the text stating that it is compatible with the Microsoft Security Feature Pack. Anyone else notice that?

arikinthecity
03-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Powered by Microsoft's newest mobile operating system, Windows Mobile 5.0, the Cingular 2125 Smartphone will be upgradeable for the Messaging and Security Feature Pack featuring direct push e-mail technology when launched by Cingular in the first half of 2006.

Read the whole shpeel here:

http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&amp;item=1431[/url]

Mike Temporale
03-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Hello, that update sounds great, u say its at club imate, i went there and i don;t see any rom update at all, how am i missing it, my eyes are open 8O

Club i-mate only shows you the ROM updates for the devices you have registered with them. If you have a SP5 or a SP5m you should be able to see them.

Mike Temporale
03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
The display inthe Cingular stores for the 8125 has an * detail at the bottom of the text stating that it is compatible with the Microsoft Security Feature Pack. Anyone else notice that?

No surprise there. But this thread is about the i-mate devices. ;) I'm not aware if Cingular has released any patches for their Pocket PC devices.

headworx
03-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I cannot install a root certificate to enable directpush. The old "install certificate" utility from imate does not work, and the new one is missing (the link http://www.clubimate.com/support/SP5/UTILITY_UPDATES/CDL_Install_Certificate_SP5m.cab gives 404).
Has anybody succeeded in installing a root certificate after the update?

Cheers,
Headworx
http://headworx.blogspot.com

Mike Temporale
03-26-2006, 01:41 AM
I cannot install a root certificate to enable directpush. The old "install certificate" utility from imate does not work, and the new one is missing (the link http://www.clubimate.com/support/SP5/UTILITY_UPDATES/CDL_Install_Certificate_SP5m.cab gives 404).
Has anybody succeeded in installing a root certificate after the update?

Cheers,
Headworx

Try copying the cert to your storage card (via a card reader and not ActiveSync) and then insert the storage card, browse to the file and run it. It's my guess, that this should work. Just a guess.

headworx
03-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the tip. That was one of the things I tried to do. When I "run" the .cer file, i get a message the certificate will be installed and then the next message there were insufficient rights to install the certificate. That is probably why the signed imate utility is needed (to execute with higher privilige level). It looks like they removed the old one, becouse the signature has changed for the new rom, and the new one is not ready yet...

Cheers,
Headworx

Mike Temporale
03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tip. That was one of the things I tried to do. When I "run" the .cer file, i get a message the certificate will be installed and then the next message there were insufficient rights to install the certificate. That is probably why the signed imate utility is needed (to execute with higher privilige level). It looks like they removed the old one, becouse the signature has changed for the new rom, and the new one is not ready yet...

Cheers,
Headworx

I don't have time to search for it right now, but there is a post in the Tip's N Tricks section by encece about how to application unlock your device. Follow those steps and then try this. If you can't find the post and I dig it out later tonight.

headworx
03-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks, found it. Wokrs like a charm...

http://spaces.msn.com/members/xpworld/Blog/cns!1pwLVDaHQF6ltiEJslNeKRkA!198.entry

Cheers,
Headworx

yoos
03-27-2006, 12:41 AM
anyone install this new update on the TMobile USA SDA Music? anyone have any thoughts on if this is better than the TM standard one?

Mike Temporale
03-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks, found it. Wokrs like a charm...

Once you unlocked the phone, could you install the cert?

pgb55
03-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Hello.
I'm syncing with imate's MS Server via GPRS. The sync process works great when my desktop is logged on. But, handheld continues to ask for password when desktop not logged on.
Any thoughts?
Guys as imate were of no help.
Thanks.

coolhorn
03-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Any chance that this update will work on a Qtek 8310 as well? If so, any advice or instructions would be appreciated...

I hope I didn't screw up my chances of updating ROM's by picking the Qtek over the I-mate... :?

I saw a posting on another site that announced the launch of the "myQtek.com" site and thought I'd have the same options as club I-mate. The problem is that until you actually have an IMEI number to try to register, they don't tell you that the site only supports handsets purchased thru "Brightpoint"...grrrrr!

I am digging the heck out of this phone, now that I have the MMS and Internet configured correctly... :) Now if I can just get these updates too...

mbranscum
04-15-2006, 11:03 PM
When I go to iMate to download the rom for my 2125 I have to have an IME number to access downloads. How can I get the rom?

Mike Temporale
04-16-2006, 01:05 AM
When I go to iMate to download the rom for my 2125 I have to have an IME number to access downloads. How can I get the rom?

You can't ;) i-mate ROMs are not meant for Cingular devices. Cingular has yet to release the update. When they do, you can be sure we'll have it posted on the front page. :D

mbranscum
04-16-2006, 02:19 AM

You can't ;) i-mate ROMs are not meant for Cingular devices. Cingular has yet to release the update. When they do, you can be sure we'll have it posted on the front page. :D

Well I know it's not *meant* for the 2125. I have an iMate PPC rom running on my Cingular 8125 PPC with push mail humming right along which I got from www.xda-developers.com. Earlier in this thread there are folks talking about putting the SP5 rom on the 2125 but I haven't been able to locate the rom. I have also been reading in other places on the net of the same thing with good results. Are you saying that we're not supposed to run the SP5 rom on the 2125 due to legal issues? If that's what you meant I do understand...however legal issues hadn't crossed my mind. :(

Mike Temporale
04-16-2006, 03:21 AM
Legally, you can not run a ROM from another manufacturer on your device. ROMs are copyrighted work. While you may be able to load it, technically you should not do so.

To add to this in a non-legal sense; the ROMs are built buy the manufacturer and customized for the specific device. There are a number of differences between devices and thus you could be making your device unstable. Cingular may have choosen a different video chipset, or a specific IO driver for improved speed. (I'm just making examples, I don't know if they did or not) By installing another ROM, you may get things running, but you might also find more problems.

I remember a ROM that went around a while ago that had a number of people complaining of things not running and stability issues.

Legally, you shouldn't be doing it. Technically, you may be able to do it, but it's really not recommended.

And a nice little disclaimer; we don't allow linking to or sharing of, illegal ROMs. ;) Well, for that matter, illegal or copyrighted material of any kind.

mbranscum
04-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Interesting...in the forum I mentioned in my post above they are not only posting the alternate rom for the Cingular 8125 PPC..there are people actually modifying some of the cabs *for* the 8125 and re-posting. I'm suprised the mods are actually allowing this activity.

Oh well...guess I'll wait! :?

Mike Temporale
04-16-2006, 12:30 PM
I don't know if they realize the legal issues, but the site is focused on doing it.

Sven Johannsen
04-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't know if they realize the legal issues, but the site is focused on doing it.
They aren't fools, they know. While technically illegal, the only folks that would press charges are the OEMs of the devices. I expect there would be little to gain and much to lose by doing so. The site offers a great deal of technical support which relieves some of the burden off the OEM. It generates and keeps interest in the devices as well. Their explaining how to get an I-mate ROM onto a Cingular device and vice versa really doesn't cost the software owning OEM anything, and may provide the target OEM the opportunity to charge for repairs ;). I think the OEMs look the other way. I don't intend this to mean that it is right, or that SPThoughts should participate, but selective integrity is a fact of life. I do expect it would be different if the OEMs were charging for these updates/upgrades.

andrewh
04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
[quote=jfreiman]I do not seem to be receiving Edge support because the icon is a big G (GPRS).

Not true. The icon in the title bar doesn't reflect the current connection type. You can do the registry hack to change it to the E if you like. But the hack is only changing the displayed icon. Your phone will automatically connect to the EDGE network. There's nothing you need to do.

Mike, do you know where in the registry I need to look to change the G icon to an E icon for EDGE network connections?

Thanks,
Andrew

Mike Temporale
04-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Mike, do you know where in the registry I need to look to change the G icon to an E icon for EDGE network connections?

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10682

andrewh
04-24-2006, 08:08 PM
There we go, this post did the trick:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9952

Thanks,
Andrew