View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2007 Changes: No Outlook 2007 in Some Versions

Jason Dunn
03-22-2006, 12:00 AM
If you're reading this site, odds are good that you also use some version of Outlook. It's bad enough that Pocket PC and Smartphone users are given the 5+ year old Outlook 2002 when they buy their expensive Windows Mobile device, but now Microsoft is removing Outlook from lower end Office bundles. It used to be that Outlook would come bundled (http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/compare.mspx) with even the affordably-priced Student and Teacher Edition, which was great because many families I knew purchased that version. Three licenses, under $200, great deal. Things have unfortunately changed with the Office 2007.

According to this product chart (http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/suites.mspx), Outlook 2007 will not be included in Office 2007 Home and Student. What's curious is that it will be included in a new bundle called Office Basic 2007, which has Word, Excel, and Outlook - but no PowerPoint. If the Basic edition is priced even more affordably than the Home & Student edition, then perhaps this is a tempest in teapot. And I suppose the good news is that when Office 2007 comes out, presumably all Windows Mobile bundles will then include Outlook 2003.

One interesting solution to this problem is that Microsoft gives out Outlook client licenses to hosted Exchange providers such as 4smartphone (http://www.4smartphone.net/affiliates.aspx?go=referal&ref=JD10726) [affiliate], which means you can get a free copy of Outlook 2007 (when it's available) and hosted Exchange all at the same time.

Jerry Raia
03-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Mailstreet, who does my Exchange hosting, gives Outlook out too. Not being a big Office user though I think Outlook is the most useful part of it. I just wish they would do something to fancy up Pocket Outlook already!

randalllewis
03-22-2006, 01:13 AM
While I share the frustration that my new expensive Smartphone came with an old version of Outlook, I am not as concerned with the changes in Office bundles. The new Home and Student version skips Outlook and the Basic version skips Powerpoint. They should be priced similarly because Powerpoint and Outlook are both priced at around $100 when sold separeately, though I'll bet that these bundle versions will be targeted at different types of retailers. I have the latest Office version on my computer at home and I never use Powerpoint. At work, I have Office XP and use them all. I guess the new Office is going to be like Windows Vista, with lots and lots of flavors to choose from.

Mike Temporale
03-22-2006, 04:51 AM
It's bad enough that Pocket PC and Smartphone users are given the 5+ year old Outlook 2002 when they buy their expensive Windows Mobile device,

I guess that shows how much attention I paid to the extra's in the box. I just assumed that they had up'ed the version of Outlook. I think most people are using a newer version. Either from the office, or they have picked up a newer version with the office suite. At least I hope so.

I'm looking forward to Outlook 12. I really like the direction that 2003 took, and I can't wait to see what else they have planned. :D

zeke009
03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I have to find the article, but the mail client in Windows Vista (Windows Mail) is supposed to be allot better than the Outlook Express we all know today . There is also a seperate Windows Calendar app in the current February CTP of Vista.

http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/ has 3 of its planned 5 reviews of the February CTP up. Part 4 will look at applications that have changed since the first CTP. Check it out and look for the other reviews. These new apps within Vista might fill the void left by Outlook 12/2007 not being bundled with Office 12/2007. Now, this doesn't help people who won't be moving to Vista. But MS has positioned itself to push Vista hard and to try to move people to it. Like their Halo2 only runs on Vista statement, not sure if that is true anymore or not.

Since both products might be released within the same quarter this year, that could be why some versions of Office do not include Outlook.

Screenshots @ winsupersite.com
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_5308_gallery_06.asp

edit: scratch that... Vista has been delayed for non-business users until 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx

Jason Dunn
03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
edit: scratch that... Vista has been delayed for non-business users until 2007

AUUUGH!!! WHAT??? NOOO!!!! :evil:

Jerry Raia
03-22-2006, 04:01 PM

I'm shocked! :lol:

Mike Temporale
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Yup, it's true. January 2007 - super silly. :roll:

I should add to this: I don't understand how they can still get Enterprise release out in November, but need 2 more months to turn off a couple features and ship to the consumer. :?

Jason Dunn
03-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't understand how they can still get Enterprise release out in November, but need 2 more months to turn off a couple features and ship to the consumer. :?

Well, to be fair, some flavours of the Home versions will include Media Center Edition, which is a complicated piece of software. Part of me wonders if the cable card support and whatever other DRM "features" are being included are resulting in this delay.

zeke009
03-23-2006, 02:01 AM
Well, to be fair, some flavours of the Home versions will include Media Center Edition, which is a complicated piece of software. Part of me wonders if the cable card support and whatever other DRM "features" are being included are resulting in this delay.Good point, they don't have to include all the bells and whistles for enterprise clients. Of course anything can be scripted out of an install in an enterprise environment. But if they want the extra time to fine tune the consumer version, we had better not see a security patch any time soon after it's release!

Jerry Raia
03-23-2006, 02:30 AM
Wasn't Vista/Longhorn originally supposed to be released in 2003? Meaning they started on it probably in the late 90's. Scary :lol:

Neil
03-24-2006, 07:35 AM
I should add to this: I don't understand how they can still get Enterprise release out in November, but need 2 more months to turn off a couple features and ship to the consumer. :?

It's because of how long it takes computer manufacturers to ramp up production. If the software releases in November, computer folks like Dell can't turn around and get it into machines for consumers for at least a month or two.

The same thing happens in the Windows Mobile space, actually. After MS releases the bits for, say WM5, to OEMs it can take several months before devices start to show up with the software.

Neil

Mike Temporale
03-24-2006, 02:29 PM
It's because of how long it takes computer manufacturers to ramp up production. If the software releases in November, computer folks like Dell can't turn around and get it into machines for consumers for at least a month or two.

The same thing happens in the Windows Mobile space, actually. After MS releases the bits for, say WM5, to OEMs it can take several months before devices start to show up with the software.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I'm well versed in the extended wait time in the mobile market, but I guess I never really thought about it in the desktop market. Makes sense.