View Full Version : new here !!

imkind
03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
is smartphone same with pda-phone?

which is better?

can i know the main difference between this two?

smartphone to symbian and pda-phone to window mobile.....rite?

can i know which is the best smartphone and pda-phone now?

thank u !!

Sven Johannsen
03-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Generically a smartphone is a phone that has enough intelligence to be able to be expanded. Kind of implies it runs an extensible OS. No requirement for it to any particular OS.

Here, we like to think that Smartphone (capital S) implies the OS the phone is running is a Microsoft one, i.e, a Windows Mobile OS. The reality though is the MS does not have a patent or tradmark, or whatever that grants them exclusive rights to Smartphone.

The difference between a smartphone (or Smartphone) and a PDA phone is getting pretty blurry. Incidentally, you can have PDA-phones that run Windows Mobile OSs and ones that run other ones as well, like the Palm OS. The term Pocket PC Phone Edition is exclusive to MS though.

Back to the differences. The basic difference is that one is a phone that has some PDA funcionality, and the other is a PDA that has some phone functionality. Some of that is realized in what the designer focused on when creating the device. Phones tend to be smaller one hand operable devices. PDAs tend to require two hands, and are typically more powerful and bigger. A current definitive distinction is that smartphones do not have touch screens and pda-phones do. That is somewhat a MS distinction though as Palm has always called their Treo line a smartphone, and it does have a touch screen. Now that Palm makes a Windows Mobile device, it is confusing people as they still call it a smartphone, though it does have a touch screen. For the most part though, smartphone - one handed use, no touch screen....pda-phone - bigger, touch screen, stylus.

What's best right now? Depends entirely on what you want to do with it. If you could build a device that was right for everyone, there would only be one smartphone and one pda-phone available. Heck there wouldn't even be one of each, just one. Some like phones, some like pdas, some like as small as possible, some like usable keyboards, some QVGA, some VGA. BT or not, WiFi or not, camera or not, etc. Best is a personal decision, not an absolute. (Though sometimes that is hard to tell from some of the enthousiast's comments)

imkind
03-22-2006, 08:23 AM
thanks a lot for all the details !

i m currently using ipaq 4150 and S.E t610, the ipaq has been with me for around two years, i thought of changing to one device rather than carrying two :wink:

as far as i know, the high end pda-phone now is not as powerful as the normal pocket pc ?

pdaphone will have the full function of pda rite? bcause i want to do all the stuff i can with my ipaq 4150 with the new pdaphone i m planning to get... :D

thanks again ! :D

Mike Temporale
03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
If you're looking to do everything you're 4150 can do plus add phone calls, then you need a POcket PC Phone Edtion - like the Jam, kJam, etc...

:)

Sven Johannsen
03-23-2006, 04:50 AM
as far as i know, the high end pda-phone now is not as powerful as the normal pocket pc ?

That's not entirely true. PDAs that include phones tend to have slightly slower processors than the top of the line PDAs. The reason is to ensure sufficient battery life. With the phone included, there is more activity all the time, as compared to a PDA alone, so battery use increases. Other than that, today's PDA phones, i.e PocketPC Phone Editions, can do everything that current PPCs can do.

leroybrown
03-23-2006, 05:33 AM

That's not entirely true. PDAs that include phones tend to have slightly slower processors than the top of the line PDAs. The reason is to ensure sufficient battery life. With the phone included, there is more activity all the time, as compared to a PDA alone, so battery use increases. Other than that, today's PDA phones, i.e PocketPC Phone Editions, can do everything that current PPCs can do.

I remember back when smartphones were several generations of hardware behind the top of the line PDA's. For awhile I had both a smartphone AND a separate PDA, to get the best of both worlds. No need anymore, that's for certain.