View Full Version : What's Happened to the Windows Mobile BlackBerry-Killers?

Mike Temporale
03-16-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2954' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2954</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Okay, the Samsung SGH-i320 Windows Mobile Smartphone BlackBerry "killer" appeared first at last month's 3GSM Congress in Barcelona and was shown there with two working samples the first day. However, the second day, it disappeared from the Samsung stand and where the i320 was showed the day before, Samsung placed two other Windows Mobile devices. Everybody who was asked what happened with the i320 hadn't had anything to say, even if it was officially announced through Samsung's press release. All I got was that I should wait for the CeBIT. Okay, I tried hard to be patient and awaited the CeBIT but on the first day, as well as on the second day (than I gave) up, there was no information available on the Samsung stand."</i><br /><br />What's the deal with all the Windows Mobile BlackBerry killer devices? Why is it that they keep disappearing? What could possibly be the problem? The Q has slipped past it's Q4 2005, and Q1 2006 shipping dates. Now the hot new Samsung i320 has vanished. :?

Jerry Raia
03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I wish somebody would do something because I can't stand the sight of those primitive Blackberrys anymore! Interesting though now that RIM's legal troubles are over all the "Killers" are vanishing.

xultar
03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I wish somebody would do something because I can't stand the sight of those primitive Blackberrys anymore! Interesting though now that RIM's legal troubles are over all the "Killers" are vanishing.

I had a Blackberry in 2000. I was through with it in 2002. I am so over it. I'd love for there to be something new. WM device manufacturers were my hope but it sems that they pulled away from taking them on. How sad is that?

So no one is even going to challenge because BB did't die on it's own.
Pittiful.

Pete Paxton
03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I had a blackberry 7100t and it was OK. I now have the new Tmobile SDA and I love it. It kills and buries my 7100t. If and when the HP 6915 ever becomes a reality, That will be the blackberry killer for me.

Jerry Raia
03-16-2006, 07:18 PM
If and when the HP 6915 ever becomes a reality, That will be the blackberry killer for me.

Don't be too quick to jump on that one, the 6515 which I had for a while, was just OK. The longer I had it, the less I liked it.

Ed Hansberry
03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
what about the treo 700W? only problem with it is only one carrier has it right now.

randalllewis
03-17-2006, 01:20 AM
what about the treo 700W? only problem with it is only one carrier has it right now.

I agree. I love my 2125, and reading my e-mail is all I really need to do. But if I were tempted for the need to respond, the 700w looks like the tool to use......except for that serious flaw of being tied to Verizon.

Jerry Raia
03-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Well I would suggest the 8125 on ANOTHER forum. :lol:

Mike Temporale
03-17-2006, 02:08 AM

No MSFP - yet, and I wouldn't really classify the Treo line as a BlackBerry competition. They're more of a PDA centric device and not a Email centric device.

Jerry Raia
03-17-2006, 02:13 AM

No MSFP - yet, and I wouldn't really classify the Treo line as a BlackBerry competition. They're more of a PDA centric device and not a Email centric device.

By the time Verizon gets around to issuing that ROM upgrade, if there is one, I'll be in my diapers again.

davidlove
03-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I too await the BlackBerry killers. Meanwhile there are plenty of devices out there, including most cell phones, that can send/receive mail, although the mail client (and the keypad) on my Nokia 6230i is strictly for emergencies.

But no device can begin to kill the BlackBerry without push email. You'd think that the operators would encourage greater push usage to get more value from their expensively acquired bandwidth, yet Vodafone's recent announcement of a push email solution has now gone quiet.

Could it have something to to with Redmond and the necessary add-ons to Exchange Server? We should be told!

E-Double
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I just received my SDA yesterday in the mail. I set up my GMail account online at t-mobile.com and on the phone. It checks for new mail every 15 minutes.

Not bad option at all. I'm pretty excited about it.