View Full Version : changing phones too often!

annyksa
03-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello, i have a problem where i buy a cellphone i really liked, then something better comes out a short time later and i start wanting that one, but the resell value of most phones is terrible, u lose big money fast, so, do u think its wrong to "collect" cellphones and then use them all at one time or another? or is it wasteful and frivolous? thanks for the advice.

Mike Temporale
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't know how qualified I would be on giving advice on this. I've got a nice collection of phones myself, and I have never sold one on ebay. I keep meaning too, but....

so, I would say there is nothing wrong with buying the latest phone. :mrgreen:

Jerry Raia
03-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I do this constantly. I rarely have a phone more than 6 months. The old ones go on eBay. I have found that the less time I keep a phone or Pocket PC the more I will get for it on eBay. Also it will be in much better condition if I haven't had it too long. I will usually get 3/4 of what I paid for any given device.

Not to mention how much fun it is to always have a new toy. :mrgreen:

Phonefunatic
03-16-2006, 02:03 AM
I do this constantly. I rarely have a phone more than 6 months. The old ones go on eBay. I have found that the less time I keep a phone or Pocket PC the more I will get for it on eBay. Also it will be in much better condition if I haven't had it too long. I will usually get 3/4 of what I paid for any given device.

Not to mention how much fun it is to always have a new toy. :mrgreen:

DITTO.... :lol:

Jerry Raia
03-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Your name says it all. :)

Phonefunatic
03-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Your name says it all. :)

Yes, I definitely have a problem. I have even changed service providers so that I could get that phone that I just had to have NOW...

Mike Temporale
03-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Yes, I definitely have a problem. I have even changed service providers so that I could get that phone that I just had to have NOW...

Sounds like a Treo 700. Am I right?

Phonefunatic
03-16-2006, 02:08 PM

Sounds like a Treo 700. Am I right?

Been there, done that, already. I now have the 2125 on Cingular and I love it although I must admit I've been looking at the Nokia 6682 and although I'm a little afraid of Moto the Q looks good.

racerx
03-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm the same way. I've gotten better. Had the RAZR about 9 months before I got my 2125. I suspect that until they come out with a WM5 HSPDA phone, I'll be sticking with my 2125. That is unless my company buys me one!! :)

encece
03-19-2006, 03:06 AM
I'd say this is a thread with my name all over it...but I see I am not alone.

I go back and forth from phone to phone Smartphone to Pocket PC and back again. I cant decide if I like the application rich enviornment of the PocketPC or the small and one handed friendly Smartphone. As the PPCs get smaller it gets harder to decide, but I still think I like Smartphones better. I can't bring myself to use any OS other the Smartphone or PPC though.

I have a JAMin away for repairs and a "loaner" Cingular 2125 in my posession right now. The 2125 is cool but not enough....I need more.

I am getting tired and frustrated from my addiction though. In the old days when Smartphones were almost non-existent here is the US, I could buy a SPV or e100 or even the e200 from europe and sell it here for almost as much as I paid for it....a couple of times I even made a profit.

but I can't do that anymore. I'm using a phone for a two or three mnonths and getting a new one and losing money on each transaction. It's gone from losing $50 on a phone after three months to losing $100 or more.

That said....I still need to see the phones on ebay. Losing $100 or so is better than losing the full value of the phone (that I'll probably never use again) which today can be anywhere from $300 to $700.

I'd rather recoup the majority of that money than keep putting it out over and over again.

BUT...like I said, I'm getting tired of this rut. I want a phone that does what I need it to do and get busy on other things other than these phones.

My hard-drive crashed this weekend and I got soooo much done around the house without my PC being available. Even while I was fixing it, I was able to do other productive thing while the new hard drive was formatting or windows was installing.

Companies like HTC aren't making things any better for me with little incremental upgrades to each of their new lines of phones.

The next OS wont be around for a while. After my JAMin arrives back, I'm going to decide if I need that or a smartphone to carry me on for at least a year or hopefully more. Maybe the SmartFlip will be my next phone. But I will say....that I need to get this phone monkey of my back and focus on more important things. For my financial and mental health's sakes.

Jerry Raia
03-19-2006, 03:21 AM
As the PPCs get smaller it gets harder to decide, but I still think I like Smartphones better. I can't bring myself to use any OS other the Smartphone or PPC though.

Since I have both I can say that I get to play with the best of both worlds. If you hold an 8125 next to a 2125 though, I tell you they are almost the same size. If I could only have one well.....

Dont make me choose!! :crazyeyes:

encece
03-19-2006, 04:04 AM
I can't see carrying around two devices or even owning two and carrying them one at a time for different scenarios. I want everything with me all of the time and dont have the time or patience maintaining two devices anymore. I think I'm just really burned out at totally being dissatisfied at every device I own for one reason or another. They all start out great, but my PPCs always wind up crashing and my Smartphones are always missing some sort of software that I really want that is available for PPCs.

Sounds like depression doesnt it? I think it is...

Jerry Raia
03-19-2006, 04:18 AM
I carry everything everywhere. Yes they crash, yes they can be frustrating. That's what keeps me interested :grinning devil:

Mike Temporale
03-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Smartphones are always missing some sort of software that I really want that is available for PPCs.

I used to feel that way, but not so much anymore. Not in a while. What applications are you seeing? or not seeing as the case may be.

I just got a kJam, and it's my first PPC in a long time. I haven't touched my old PPC in almost 6 months. I haven't used it in a good year. So it's an interesting expereince with the kJam. All in all, it's a nice device, but it's still too awkward to use one handed. That never used to matter to me, but now that I have been using only Smartphones for so long, it's really starting to change me.

Phonefunatic
03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I'd say this is a thread with my name all over it...but I see I am not alone.

I go back and forth from phone to phone Smartphone to Pocket PC and back again. I cant decide if I like the application rich enviornment of the PocketPC or the small and one handed friendly Smartphone. As the PPCs get smaller it gets harder to decide, but I still think I like Smartphones better. I can't bring myself to use any OS other the Smartphone or PPC though.

I have a JAMin away for repairs and a "loaner" Cingular 2125 in my posession right now. The 2125 is cool but not enough....I need more.

I am getting tired and frustrated from my addiction though. In the old days when Smartphones were almost non-existent here is the US, I could buy a SPV or e100 or even the e200 from europe and sell it here for almost as much as I paid for it....a couple of times I even made a profit.

but I can't do that anymore. I'm using a phone for a two or three mnonths and getting a new one and losing money on each transaction. It's gone from losing $50 on a phone after three months to losing $100 or more.

That said....I still need to see the phones on ebay. Losing $100 or so is better than losing the full value of the phone (that I'll probably never use again) which today can be anywhere from $300 to $700.

I'd rather recoup the majority of that money than keep putting it out over and over again.

BUT...like I said, I'm getting tired of this rut. I want a phone that does what I need it to do and get busy on other things other than these phones.

My hard-drive crashed this weekend and I got soooo much done around the house without my PC being available. Even while I was fixing it, I was able to do other productive thing while the new hard drive was formatting or windows was installing.

Companies like HTC aren't making things any better for me with little incremental upgrades to each of their new lines of phones.

The next OS wont be around for a while. After my JAMin arrives back, I'm going to decide if I need that or a smartphone to carry me on for at least a year or hopefully more. Maybe the SmartFlip will be my next phone. But I will say....that I need to get this phone monkey of my back and focus on more important things. For my financial and mental health's sakes.

I totally agree with you....

But it's soooo.... much fun and so exciting when you get home from a hard days work and you have that pretty brown package waiting for you. You open it up and there is that shinny new phone right there for you to play with and start installing all of the applications that you love so much. Now you just need the perfect case, maybe a memory card, and all of the nice accessories that go with it. :D

The monkey on your back must have siblings. I think this is his brother on my back.

Mark Larson
03-20-2006, 06:23 AM
I personally keep the monkey happy by buying second hand. There are some fantastic deals to be had on forums and ebay. I rarely lose money by buying and selling portable electronics and there have been a few times that I've actually made money.

So don't get too engrossed in the latest and greatest, buy at a discount and sell wisely. 8)

I try to not buy accessories because they are the biggest money loser you'll get and they depreciate very fast.

UnwiredSoftware
03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
I just have to say that I've been using a lot of phones myself lately, but for some reason, I have become enamored with the i-mate SP3i. I know there has been some negative feedback on the phone (a big one being that the joystick is fragile, for example), but I just can't help it. The phone is just slick!

Darren
Unwired Software, Inc.
http://www.unwiredsoftware.com

Mike Temporale
03-24-2006, 10:11 PM
I just have to say that I've been using a lot of phones myself lately, but for some reason, I have become enamored with the i-mate SP3i. I know there has been some negative feedback on the phone (a big one being that the joystick is fragile, for example), but I just can't help it. The phone is just slick!

There was a lot of talk about that, but I don't think we had many people here that had issues. I didn't have the SP3i, instead I was using that rocker switch on the SP3 line. It was pretty good. :)