View Full Version : Microsoft Windows Mobile: Mobile Media Without Limits

Jason Dunn
03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/orb.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/orb.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Do you miss your favorite songs when you leave home? Now you don't have to. Thanks to a free online service and your Windows Mobile powered device, they’re available whenever you have a connection to the Internet. Orb gives you unlimited access to the media stored on your personal computer. It streams digital media on your PC—whether it’s a favorite song or a favorite television show—to your smartphone or Pocket PC. I’m already addicted to Orb. Even though memory cards continue to drop in price, I still can’t get one big enough to hold my collection. Even if you have a two-gigabyte memory card packed with music, there's a good chance you have many more gigabytes worth of digital media sitting on your personal computer. That's where Orb comes into play. If you're sitting in an airport lounge halfway across the world and you're itching to listen to one of your favorite tracks at home, you can. As Orb puts it, it's "home entertainment without the home.""</i><br /><br />Our very own Darius Wey has put together a great article on Orb, a software-based solution for accessing all your media, wherever you are. If you haven't given Orb a try (it's free), give this a read and I bet you'll want to take it for a spin!

encece
03-15-2006, 02:07 AM
I thought Orb was more widely know....but apparently, many are just finding out about it.

I dont have a WMC PC at home. But I do have a Slingbox.

I have also noticed that all of the thoughts sites, Modaco, CoolSmartphone, MSMobiles, pocketnow have all posted articles about ORB.

Is there some kind of recent push? More notably, msmobiles has written some crazy stuff on his site about SlingBox Mobile. The conspiracy theorist in me, given the ORB references on all the sites, would think that MS was promoting ORB against SlingMedia. But seeing the MSMobiles is involved, I doubt they would promote anything thru them. ;)

All that aside, I like ORB for Music, Photos and PC Video. But I rely on SlingBox for watching TV as it is my only option at the moment. And it works really well connecting to and controlling my TV/Comcast Cable DVR.

Mike Temporale
03-15-2006, 03:12 AM
I noticed all the Orb posts this morning. I didn't think much of it myself. But now that you mention it, it is kind of odd.

I've got a Slingbox on the way to me and I'm looking forward to hooking it up and giving it a go. I've seen a demo of Orb, and I think it's more complicated than Sling is. Sling has done a lot of work to make it super easy to setup and run. 8)

Jason Dunn
03-15-2006, 06:16 AM
I have also noticed that all of the thoughts sites, Modaco, CoolSmartphone, MSMobiles, pocketnow have all posted articles about ORB. Is there some kind of recent push?

Pure coincidence - Darius started working on this article last week, and when I found out it was live, I linked to it from all three sites.