View Full Version : AKU2 WM5 "push" email - how does it work?

pugwonk
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Okay, so I'm a bit of a technical luddite here, but I am as interested as everyone else in this Blackberry-style "push email", and I've no idea how it works.

If I were to implement this, it would need support on three levels:

1. It would obviously need some software on the device to receive it
2. It would need some software on your email server to send the notifications to the device
3. It would need some software at mobile service provider end, to send the right sort of notifications to your phone

I have an SP5 and I imagine there's a good chance I'll get (1) soon, but (2) is practically impossible, and (3) seems vanishingly unlikely, at least in the near future.

Have I completely misunderstood how all this works, or is it all just for corporates running their own email servers?

Chris

Mike Temporale
03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
If I were to implement this, it would need support on three levels:

1. It would obviously need some software on the device to receive it

Right, that software is installed on your device with AKU2 and it is called MSFP (Messaging and Security Feature Pack).

2. It would need some software on your email server to send the notifications to the device

Yes, as long as your email server is Exchange. Microsoft's Push email solution needs an Exchange server to run. Service Pack 2 must be installed to enable push email. If you don't have an Exchange server and you don't want to invest in one and you want to run use this, then you can look at some of the hosted services out there like 4Smartphone.com. They're pretty reasonable in price.

3. It would need some software at mobile service provider end, to send the right sort of notifications to your phone

No. Your carrier doesn't have to know anything about this. And this is one area where Microsoft's solution shines so bright. All you need is a mobile device that is currently MSFP enabled and works on a local carrier. Then you drop in your Exchange (or a hosted Exchange) server and off you go. It is recommended that you sign up for some sort of data plan, but it's not required.

If you really want to know more of the techincal details of how this works, check out this posting --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8537 It's a pretty interesting read. Even if you're not too technical. :D

Sven Johannsen
03-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Yes, as long as your email server is Exchange 2003. Microsoft's Push email solution needs an Exchange server 2003 to run. Service Pack 2 must be installed to enable push email.

Minor clarification, but an important one :)

Mike Temporale
03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes, as long as your email server is Exchange 2003. Microsoft's Push email solution needs an Exchange server 2003 to run. Service Pack 2 must be installed to enable push email.

Minor clarification, but an important one :)

Fair enough - that is a key requirement. I also imagine that Exchange 12 (now in or about to be in, public beta) will support this as well. If you wanted to wait and go thar route. :)

Rocco Augusto
03-11-2006, 07:30 PM
...thar route. :)

::best pirate impression::

tharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;)

(sorry i havent had my :morning: this morning)

nmt1978
08-15-2006, 11:49 AM

Have I completely misunderstood how all this works, or is it all just for corporates running their own email servers?

Chris

It is important for the push email to work that your phone must keep instant connection either via GPRS or wifi or a similar sevice supplied by your mobile service provider.