View Full Version : Messenger and Mobile Devices

Islanti
02-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I've recently been trying to setup MSN Messenger to use my new T-Mobile US SDA as a "mobile device" for IM. Basically, this allows people to send me an SMS-via-email through MSN Messenger. A very cool feature, now that I have unlimited SMS messages from T-Mo!

I have been seeing consistent issues with this feature. You need to go to MSN Mobile (http://mobile.msn.com) to configure your account with a mobile device. This is hidden in MSN Messenger 7.5 (but back in Live Messenger 8 ).
This involves a text message being sent to your phone with a code to validate your device. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working at the moment (but it was mostly working yesterday).
Once the feature is enabled in MSN Mobile, you need to sign in to MSN Messenger via the desktop. Messenger is supposed to prompt you to allow users to send SMS messages to your phone at this point, but sometimes doesn't.
Sometimes people can't see you as mobile, but others can. At least once reason I recently figured out for this is that the entire mobile featureset is not compatible with Microsoft's "Live Communications Server 2005" (this is a corporate Messenger server which can pass-through to the public Messenger network.)Once all these obstacles are overcome, I'm still not sure if it'll even work. I'm waiting on their SMS gateway to start working again.

Is anyone using this feature successfully that can give me some encouragement?