View Full Version : PocketMSN, Hotmail and SMS 'push' notifications?

Islanti
02-24-2006, 12:40 AM
I have been playing with the mobile email features of my new T-Mobile US SDA. I have been able to setup SMS-based pseudo-push email for my corporate Exchange mailbox, SMS-based pseudo-push email for my personal mailbox on Mac.com using T-Mobile's "My Mail" feature. I'd like to be able to do the same thing with my Hotmail account (I'm considering moving from Mac.com to Hotmail.com as my primary personal mailbox).

Except that it doesn't seem to work. I get SMS notifications when I get an email in my Hotmail inbox. The message just sits in my SMS inbox. I feel like something must not be working right. Otherwise, why did MS put PocketMSN in ROM, provide SMS notifications for Hotmail accounts, and provide a setting to "Download new e-mail automatically." in PocketMSN?

Anyone using this feature that could shed some light on how this is supposed to work for me?

Mike Temporale
02-24-2006, 03:05 AM
I can't say for sure, but I didn't think this was a feature that was enabled for Hotmail users. :?

Islanti
02-24-2006, 03:19 AM
So why would anyone pay $20 for PocketMSN?

Really, it seems that the only piece that's missing is for some process on the Smartphone to monitor the SMS messages and act accordingly. If this feature isn't supported today, it seems trivial to add given that both T-Mobile's software and Activesync/Exchange do it already.