View Full Version : Analyst Predicts Microsoft and Linux to Overtake Symbian

Mike Temporale
02-22-2006, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39020381,39253434,00.htm' target='_blank'>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39020381,39253434,00.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A new analyst report has predicted that smartphone OS leader Symbian will soon be toppled by two relative upstarts of the mobile world. According to the Diffusion Group, by the end of the decade both Windows and Linux will have greater market share than Symbian. In 2010, the analyst house said, Symbian will see its market share halved to around 22 percent, while Windows will climb to more than 28 percent and Linux to more than 26 percent. The Diffusion Group said the change will come about as 3G networks enable more advanced applications made possible by the likes of Microsoft and Linux."</i><br /><br />There sure seems to be a lot of talk as of late about how Windows Mobile is the choice for the future. With Symbian shipments nearing 33 million and Microsoft hitting just 5 million, it can be hard to think that things will change that drastically. However, a big part of the Ace Microsoft has up it's sleeve is the ability for the enterprise developers to quickly leverage their experience with the Windows environment to build mobile applications for the work force. :D

shindullin
02-22-2006, 01:13 AM
i think that the bigger ace is that microsoft is still dominant with window and exchange. End users don't need as much time to ramp up because the os is at least similar to what they're already used to with windows. Ramp up costs go down because you just add free patches for features like push mail rather than having to buy dedicated servers like RIM et al. And the overall- "fear factor" in buying new technology that may or may not be compatible with your existing infrastructure goes down because 1, you already have bunches of MS stuff so it "must" be compatible, and 2, it's backed my Microsoft which, while notorious for making junky initial offerings of software, is equally well known for pouring endless amounts of money on their bad software until it actually works pretty well. ie windows itself, exchange, explorer, word, excel, .net, vb, and it seems almost every other piece of software they have ever created or appropriated with the possible exception of encarta which was pretty cool (if a little thin on content) right out of the box.