View Full Version : Custom Build Your Own Smartphone

Mike Temporale
02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
A recent post over at Pocket PC Thoughts (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,46543) combined with a comment (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66191#66191) by Edgar_ got me thinking about a post (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5614) I made a couple years back. The posts asks what you would put into your Smartphone if you could build it anyway you wanted. I think it's a good time to revisit that post. Here's what I asked for back then: 128 MB of Memory
BlueTooth
WiFi
Higher Resolution screen
some sort of integrated Fastap or slide-out keyboard
5 way control pad - none of this joystick stuff
Metallic Green or maybe Red
2 SD slots
small form factor
I still haven't decided about the Clam-Shell or Candy-bar thing. Not much has changed. We have seen some of these items become standard features, but there's still some work to do. What would you put into your dream device?

f540xs
02-17-2006, 11:28 PM
HSDPA, GPS

edgar
02-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Mike,

At the end of this thread, how about we send it to the major manufacturers and carriers?

Most they can do is ignore it but perhaps they will at least look at it.

For me?
-High speed access, give me wifi and UMTS/HSPDA anythign but GPRS!
-Big enough screen with good res for these old eyes to see something. The newest models are gettign there
-Memory, not just an expansion slot, but enough program memory to actually do something.
-Protected OS memory - no more misbehaving apps crashing my phone
-Bluetooth that works and allows such innovative things as easy tethering, BT headset voice commands
-Silver and black phones? Thats it, unless I buy a cheap case from some mall kiosk? at least a couple more options besides PINK, Black, Silver.
-Some entry besides a bulky BT KB, maybe a nice slideout or better I9. The I320 looks promissing.
-for a smaller phone I like flip style. But to get the Keyboard I'd go with the candybar to get a quality one.

/Hardware rant on
Why do you manyfacturers constantly JUST stop short of having a great device. GPRS instead of EDGE, 240x240 instead of 320x320 (or better); untested speakerphones; memory cards under the battery! :roll: ; Why is it solid software companies like SPB and WebIS can actually test and put out a very solid product at launch with features we actually use and like? They listen, they observe and they react. Sure they have some bugs, but they are quick to accept responsibility and fix them. We pay alot for your product, give us some respect.

/Hardware rant off

Come on we dont ask for much, well OK we do. Just deliver it anyways, ok?

-Edgar

encece
02-18-2006, 12:47 AM
The ability to alk into the back of the phone instead of the front....avoiding smearing my screen with face juice. (I think I mentioned this is the previous thread as well as the PPC thread). :)

Mike Temporale
02-18-2006, 02:17 AM
avoiding smearing my screen with face juice.

Face juice? I love it :lol:

Mike Temporale
02-18-2006, 02:21 AM
At the end of this thread, how about we send it to the major manufacturers and carriers?

At Mobius in December of last year, we did an exercises on this. Imagine a room filled with mobile geeks from all walks of life (no it wasn't just a MS love in. There was Palm and linux guys there too). The idea was to create the ideal device. It was very interesting to see how hard it really is to please a wide range of people and still keep the device simple and affordable.

edgar
02-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Mike,

The Mobius session sounds interesting. Can you expound? Either in this thread or a new one?

Did you find that a majority sit in the same field of useability? Did they want more functionality? more flexibilty? less complexity? Perhaps there was a platform seperate field, changed priorities based on the platform they use?

I've always thought the devices under perform to what the general public demands (but then, they like the under developed razr - what am I thinking).

thoughts?

-Edgar

PS: Perhaps we take this as a lesson? Can we create a document that describes need in general, not based on platform. So like "PIM", "Messaging", etc. Yes, this is outside SP directly, but, geez, no one seems to be feeding these manufacturers what is needed. (yea yea, most really do want cool factor, read "RAZR") but long term is not all looks.(at least I tell my wife thats why she married me!) :lol:

edgar
02-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Oh hey

Minimum conversation so far. I guess the happy hour folks I mentioned in the other thread ( :drinking: - BuRp!) are awaiting the weekend to answer with a clear but pained mind. :rotfl:

_Edgar

Mike Temporale
02-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Minimum conversation so far.

If you check the original post I made on this 2 years ago, there are only 10 replies. Building a custom device isn't something that most people care about. It's really only of interest to power users.

As for the Mobius session, I don't have the time right now to write up on it (the kids are already running circles around me and the day is just starting! Aren't weekends grand?), and it's not really part of this thread. You can read more anout it at Clinton's web site. (http://www.clintonfitch.com/mobius/) It's listed under Day 3 towards the end.

Rocco Augusto
02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
i would like to see a smartphone with the new PTT ability that some of the new phones on cingular are starting to have. i really love the PTT ability but if you want a WMSP with one you have to jump to nextel which i think is just plain wrong :)

Pete Paxton
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Could this be the perfect phone?

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/handhelds/pocket_loox_t_series.html

edgar
02-20-2006, 06:08 PM
A lot closer except

only 64M RAM

only 240 x 240 (touch screen though - can you turn it off while in your pocket?)

only 1500 MaH battery (with wifi!?)

Only tri-band, no 850 which is pretty prevalent now (at least in US)

Yay! Jog dial is back, only thing I like that BB has that most phones/PPC dont. That should be on my list as well. Always loved that on my old Casio.

coaldat6
02-21-2006, 06:50 AM
Nobody pointed out that the manufacturers are often beholden to the wishes of the wireless carriers.

For example, I believe that Verizon intentionally cripples their phones - such as limiting bluetooth and not allowing for WiFi... They also make it harder to put mp3s onto phones so they can rip everyone off with VCAST. (I wouldn't count on there being any iTunes phone for Verizon users).

Its also problematic that any software (OS) upgrades need to go through the carriers - this means that there are almost never any upgrades and the few times there are, it takes an extraordinarily long time to distribute.

If there's more pressure on carriers to just provide the damn service and stop interfering with the features in phones themselves, we would likely see many more cool features and new phones (and technologies) would come to market much quicker.

(Thanks for reading my rant on this subject)