View Full Version : Samsung i320 Slated for Europe-Only Launch...For Now

Jason Dunn
02-14-2006, 09:20 PM
The incredibly cool-looking Samsung i320, which we <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=10356">posted about yesterday</a>, is currently slated for a <b>Europe-only release</b>. Kari Streiber, Publicis Dialog for Samsung, told me in an email today that there are no current plans for a North American release. I find this very unfortunate - if Samsung wants to position this as a competitor to the Blackberry, they need to get it into the North American market. However, the good news is that because 3GSM is a European show, there's a chance when CTIA rolls around, we'll see some announcements about the i320 for the North American market. I just want to see this thing in person!

Mike Temporale
02-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Europe only?! What the heck is Samsung thinking? The last Smartphone we saw from them was the i600, and how old is that phone again? :roll:

So it looks like a RIM-like Windows Mobile device on GSM is still a year off in North America. What a shame.

Kris Kumar
02-14-2006, 11:14 PM
I knew the Tri-Band on the i320 spec will bite us in some way or the other. :(

stevew
02-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Can someone explain to me why it would benefit a company to market a device like this or others in only Europe? Would'nt you want to sell as many as you can? I don't get it.

rkdiddy
02-15-2006, 02:05 AM
No UTMS support now makes sense! :cry:

Mike Temporale
02-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Can someone explain to me why it would benefit a company to market a device like this or others in only Europe? Would'nt you want to sell as many as you can? I don't get it.

Well, it would shorten the development and testing cycles. It would also mean they don't need to get FCC approval. Thus reducing the cost of development and getting it to market faster.

In reality, anyone making a phone like this, targeting a device like the RIM, it needs to be a global device and it needs to be Quad band or at least have 2 versions. One for each zone.