View Full Version : Technical Careers @ Microsoft JobCast: Mel Sampat, Program Manager and New Hire

Kris Kumar
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/jobsblog/archive/2006/02/09/528825.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/jobsblog/archive/2006/02/09/528825.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Today’s guest is Mel Sampat. Mel joined Microsoft as a Program Manager with the Windows Mobile Group just last month! In this JobCast, Mel shares with us details of his interview, relocation, and on boarding experiences as well as his current role at Microsoft. Besides his primary role managing application compatibility for Windows Mobile, Mel also oversees his team’s presence at the MEDC 2006 (The Microsoft Mobile &amp; Embedded DevCon ) and their participation in the ISV Buddy Program and other community efforts. Mel graduated from Illinois State University in 2000 with a degree in Computer Science and Economics, and prior to Microsoft, he owned a small ISV that wrote consumer software for Windows Mobile devices."</i><br /><br />Little late for a weekend post but if you can find some time then this JobCast is worth listening to because in this edition Gretchen Ledgard is interviewing Mel Sampat, a <i>newbie</i> Program Manager on the Windows Mobile team. If you are planning on joining Microsoft, then I definitely recommend listening to it; otherwise you can listen to it, to learn what you are missing out on. ;-)

gambit
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I got an email for the WM team last week. they had read my CV and wanted to know if i wanted to do PM, dev, or test. well see...

R

Kris Kumar
02-13-2006, 12:27 AM
I got an email for the WM team last week. they had read my CV and wanted to know if i wanted to do PM, dev, or test. well see...

Awesome, BIG C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S. Applying for a job and then getting a call is one thing, but being called without even applying - priceless.

All the best!

gambit
02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
we'll see. the big trick is the 'ol VISA.

but thanks :-)

R

Kris Kumar
02-13-2006, 01:25 AM
we'll see. the big trick is the 'ol VISA.

You will be amazed how much muscle-power big-corporations have when it comes to getting visas issued. In my case the embassy had turned down a valid sponsored visa application, but my company fought it out and within a month, I was back at the embassy, and this time no questions were asked and I was able to get the visa.

All the best. And who knows maybe you will be allowed to work from home or a local office. ;-) Wouldn't that be sweet.

Mike Temporale
02-13-2006, 02:21 AM
That's great news for Mel, and Riki too! Don't worry about the visa, that's there job. ;)

Sounds like a great place to work, and funny enough... I'm looking for work as we speak. Anyone listening? ;)

gambit
02-13-2006, 02:33 AM
what are you looking for mike?

R

Mike Temporale
02-13-2006, 02:56 AM
I think a mobile Evangelist would be the best position for someone with my background and knowledge in Windows Mobile. However, I'm open to just about anything that will help me make the next mortgage payment. ;)

My main focus has been that of a developer (desktop, web) with a lot of BI expereince (building and automating solutions).