View Full Version : Please explain: Overclock and why WIFI

Dlogan
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
I have been reading posts and see folks talking about overclocking a device PLUS folks talking about the luxury of being able to surf via WIFI from a device.

I have no idea what overclocking is, but see folks talking about wanting to do it to their device. Does it improve anything or does it simply test something?

I also read about people wanting to be able to use their devices over a WIFI connection. Is this manly cost related? Can the device actually download faster? I understand WIFI is much faster than anything else used by cell phones, but are the phones not limited within?

Mike Temporale
02-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I have no idea what overclocking is, but see folks talking about wanting to do it to their device. Does it improve anything or does it simply test something?

Overclocking is when you turn up the MHz of your processor - past what it was set to by the manufacturer. In general, it would make applications run faster. It also uses more battery power and can seriously damage the processor.

I also read about people wanting to be able to use their devices over a WIFI connection. Is this manly cost related? Can the device actually download faster? I understand WIFI is much faster than anything else used by cell phones, but are the phones not limited within?

Yes, WiFi is faster, much faster. It's about the same as using WiFi on a PDA. You would do this for any number of reasons. If you want to access internal websites or resources (lan drives). As well, it doesn't add to your data plan, thus saving a little on your monthly bill. :)

ditch_azeroth
04-08-2006, 05:18 AM
yup yup yup, overclocking can drain your battery like a vampire... there are also risks involved. basically, what these overclocking apps do is increase the amount of current that passes through the processor. imagine a 6-volt flashlight bulb. if you pass 9-volts through it, the bulb will shine brighter BUT may burn out faster...

wifi is basically LAN without wires. you need to subscribe for it. most IT offices have it (like where i work), so if you have friends in your systems adminstration department, you got free internet on your wifi enabled phone ^_^

Sven Johannsen
04-08-2006, 04:48 PM
wifi is basically LAN without wires. you need to subscribe for it. most IT offices have it (like where i work), so if you have friends in your systems adminstration department, you got free internet on your wifi enabled phone ^_^

I wouldn't say most IT offices, or companies have it, and the willingness of the Security folks to have a non-company device access it is going to be limited. In any case if you have a LAN where you work, you likely have a PC in front of you..with free internet.

WiFi is much more useful on the phone or PDA when you are not at home or at work. Since WiFi is a relatively short range technology (10s to 100s of feet), you need to be in an area that is called a HotSpot, a place where a WiFi broadcast signal is present. These can be found at subscription based locations, T-Mobile Hotspots at StarBucks are a good example, or for free. The latter is a bit harder to find, but lot of independent coffee shops, many hotels and even some airports offer free WiFi. Most of these locations are really catering to laptop users, not phones and PDAs, but you can take advantage.

The advantage of WiFi is primarily speed. The cost factor is dependant on if you have an unlimited data plan, and can find free HotSpots, or are paying for WiFi access. The disadvantage is another radio that sucks power when it is on. Much more so than BT or the GPRS radio. I leave BT on all the time and GPRS/Edge kicks off when it needs to. With WiFi on I wouldn't make it to lunchtime. It's a trade off.

Personally I stick with the Edge, and GPRS data capability on my SP5. It is quick enough when I try to stick with sites that are PDA/Phone friendly. I can't remember the last time I even fired up the WiFi in the phone. Could have left that and the camera out, and added a GPS as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Temporale
04-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Personally I stick with the Edge, and GPRS data capability on my SP5. It is quick enough when I try to stick with sites that are PDA/Phone friendly. I can't remember the last time I even fired up the WiFi in the phone. Could have left that and the camera out, and added a GPS as far as I'm concerned.

I use the WiFi, not every possible chance, but I do use it on a regular basis.

As far as leaving things out, I would like to see an integrated GPS, but I don't know that I'm ready to give up WiFi. I'll give up the camera, the pictures are nothing special, and it's as slow as slow can be. :wink:

ditch_azeroth
04-12-2006, 08:57 AM
yeah, security is a big thing to consider if you have wifi. our managers and bosses are the only ones who have access to it here (since they got fancy laptops and all)... but like i said, if you have friends in the systems adminstration department, and you wanted to try out this wifi thing, it aint no thang... 8)

also, there are different wifi standards. for example, you got 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g. different bandwidth, different protcols... but the same wireless connections. anyway, you can read more about it here: http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/a/aa80211standard.htm

davea0288
04-23-2006, 05:12 AM
I use the WiFi, not every possible chance, but I do use it on a regular basis.

My problem with my T-Mobile SDA is the procedure to transition in the Comm Manager from "PHONE" (GPRS) to "WI-FI". EI works great on Phone but
I can't get it to work with Wi-Fi at home (system is open so there is no
security keys to worry about). What are the proper steps to go from one to the other?

Thanks,

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
My problem with my T-Mobile SDA is the procedure to transition in the Comm Manager from "PHONE" (GPRS) to "WI-FI". EI works great on Phone but
security keys to worry about). What are the proper steps to go from one to the other?

Thanks,

I just go into Comm Manager and turn on the Wifi. That's about it. I don't know what else you're looking at doing or what "EI" is. But that's all I do.

davea0288
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks,

I just go into Comm Manager and turn on the Wifi. That's about it. I don't know what else you're looking at doing or what "EI" is. But that's all I do.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Oops, EI should have been IE (Internet Explorer). Under IE, Menu, Tools, Options, Connections, it seems I need to toggle the "Select Network" from WAP Network for operation over GPRS and "The Internet" for operation over my Wi-Fi network. When I do this in conjunction with turning Wi-Fi off and on in the "Comm Manager"
IE and email seem to work properly. It also seems that I can leave "Phone" on in Comm Manager all the time.

Does the above sound like I'm using this device and software properly or am I missing something? Thanks, again

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Under IE, Menu, Tools, Options, Connections, it seems I need to toggle the "Select Network" from WAP Network for operation over GPRS and "The Internet" for operation over my Wi-Fi network. When I do this in conjunction with turning Wi-Fi off and on in the "Comm Manager"
IE and email seem to work properly. It also seems that I can leave "Phone" on in Comm Manager all the time.

I never toggle the phone state. That will turn off your data connection as well as the phone.

In IE I have it set to "Automatically Detect Network". Also, when setting up the phones connection (Start/Settings/Connections/Menu/Advanced) everything is also set to Automatic.

When I turn on Wifi, then run IE or Mail it appears to try the WiFi first so I get fast connection without having to do anything special.