View Full Version : Dust Under The Screen? Say it Ain't So!

Mike Temporale
02-07-2006, 04:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?threadid=18656' target='_blank'>http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?threadid=18656</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Since my lifestyle adjustment from a flip phone to a candy-bar (yes, it was that big of a change), I’ve had to modify the organization of my pockets. With an exposed screen, no longer could I nonchalantly put my car keys in the same pocket as my cell phone. The keys have found a new home alongside my wallet, in the left pocket, while the phone lives alone, free from sharp objects, in the right."</i><br /><br />Brandon Miniman over at <a href="http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?threadid=18656">PocketNow.com</a> is still getting familiar with his i-mate SP5m Smartphone. In his latest post he's found that naughty 4 letter D word under his screen - DUST. I'm really surprised that HTC has yet to fix this issue. This is something that they have been dealing with since the early days of the Pocket PC. You would think that by now they would have figured out how to seal a screen from dust! <br /><br />Personally, I don't have any dust under my screen. However, that's because I don't put my phone in my pocket. It stays on my belt, inside that crappy little holster that came with the phone. While I really think that this is the difference between getting dust and not getting dust, you shouldn't have to change the way you carry a phone just to keep the dust out of the screen. :evil: Come on HTC. It's time to wake up and fix this issue across all your devices. Once and for all.

Jerry Raia
02-07-2006, 05:07 PM
No dust under my 2125 screen. The hump deflects it. :mrgreen:

Jason Dunn
02-07-2006, 05:21 PM
&lt;groan> You've got to be kidding me! I'm absolutely stunned that HTC still can't seal their devices properly. :roll:

LarryKeith
02-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I had a very bad dust problem with my SMT5600. I finally took it apart to clean it out. I recently bought the SP5 and I am paranoid about getting dust under the screen. I rarely put it in my pants pocket now. I think that's what caused the problem in the first place (but my roomate did the same with his 5600 and he doesn't have any dust).

Kris Kumar
02-08-2006, 02:07 AM
No dust under my 2125 screen. The hump deflects it. :mrgreen:

Same here. :lol:

Jerry Raia
02-08-2006, 02:14 AM
Kris and I have know this for a while now. The aerodynamic shape of the hump creates a venturi affect which sucks the dust out of the phone. Those of you with humpless models do not have this benefit. Sorry. :P

Brandon Miniman
02-08-2006, 05:15 AM
If you look at the screen on the SP5/m closely, there's a small gap between where the screen glass ends and the plastic casing starts. Then, if you look at the screen of a device that doesn't seem to collect dust (an Axim X50/1 for example), the case actually overlaps the screen around the edges, effectively creating a seal.

shindullin
02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
That's a great insight. Looking at my 2125, there is no gap and appears to be an overlap. So that bodes well for the hump phones.

Mike Temporale
02-08-2006, 07:14 PM
From what I've seen, the casing around the screen doesn't really matter. There are enough other holes for the dust to get in. (like the ear piece, and mic) What really matters is how well they sealed the screen - and unfortunately, it looks like the answer is, they didn't. :(

Kacey Green
02-09-2006, 06:52 AM
I hate dust under Screens, in earpeices, in vents, and under buttons, in that order.
:evil: