View Full Version : HTC USB modem dial-up network connection reverts to alternate modem

twestley
02-07-2006, 05:47 AM
With my Cingular 2125, I can successfully establish a modem link (AKA tethered) connection from phone to laptop and be online with EDGE or GPRS. This all works exactly as described in the Cingular 2125 PDF users manual that I found on the http://www.htcamerica.net website.

However, after I deactivate the modem link, the dial-up connection in Network Connections (Windows XP Pro) reverts from "HTC USB Modem" device to the local on-board modem of the laptop. The only way I know how to recover is to delete this connection and start over again to add a new dial-up network connection.

This is getting old. What's going on and how do I fix it?

Kris Kumar
02-08-2006, 03:19 AM
I hate that crazy Windows behaviour.

But when you re-connect the USB cable between the Smartphone and Laptop (with the Modem link software on the Smartphone activated), can't you click on the Properties (not sure if it is Properties, but there is some place, I haven't used the modem in a long time) button in the dialup box and select the modem you want to use.

twestley
02-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Can't find anything in the properties that allows you to select modem.

However, I have found that if you go ahead and activate the modem link, the connection changes automatically from the on-board modem to the HTC modem!

Not very intuitive, but it works. I no longer have to create a new connection each time. I was deleting it before because I thought it wouldn't work.

Kris Kumar
02-09-2006, 12:58 PM
That's cool.

farhanb
02-14-2006, 01:17 PM
ya, i used to face the same prob too. However if ur cell modem is properly detected by the PC OS, then the connection is established via ur cell modem. in case of an error in detection of modem, the connection uses the builtin modem by default. when in doubt, check the 'properties' while dialing ur connection. if the tick is in the cell modem( HTC usb modem in my case) then there r no probs and u can go ahead. otherwise u may have to re 'activate' ur cell modem( i usually do that after disconnecting and reconnecting the tether cable)

ParrotSquawk
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM
You are lucky. I was never able to tether my phone's modem to my PC.

It wasn't critical because I also got a U730 card for the laptop.