View Full Version : A Review of Operator Branding on Windows Mobile

Jerry Raia
02-02-2006, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=5784' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=5784</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In a previous career at O2 UK, I managed the Xda programme, which included the branding and customisation to give devices a uniquely O2 look and feel, and make it easier for new users to use their equipment. I worked closely with the user community, courtesy of the excellent Data Support customer care team at O2 and in association with the UK Windows Mobile user group 4WinMobile. In this way the evolution of Xda would in part be based on how the community was responding and what items were emerging as important. Readers and customers of the operators may be curious to understand what exactly drives an operator to brand a device and add software to “improve” ease of use – especially for more advanced users who feel they don’t need the extra support. I have used the evolution of Xda over the last 4 years as the test subject."</i><br /><br />I like some operator enhancements. The average user probably doesn't notice them. The problem is, as we have discussed here before, that the operator is usually in the way. When it comes to updates and fixes I want to decide. I don't like letting the operator decide if they are even going to release the update! This article deals more with less important enhancements than my little rant. :)

Kris Kumar
02-02-2006, 02:50 AM
I like the idea of branding, it creates an identity for the carrier.

Frankly I am surprised that given the personalization options on the Smartphone platform, the carriers aren't branding the home screen and the menu etc. more. Like the Cingular 2125, I don't think there is much branding.

Small touches like on the Nextel i930, changing the default color and adding text for most recently used icon list, makes the Smartphone stand out.

randalllewis
02-03-2006, 05:07 PM
When Cingular announced the self-branded 2125, the company noted that it saved money because it did not have to pay royalties to a manufacturer for each phone sold and was able to pass that saving along. I am certain this was one reason the 2125 is relatively inexpensive (I paid far more for the far less capable RAZR.) If the 2125 is even modestly successful for Cingular, I'd bet there will be more Cingular branded phones. They ought to do it, surveys show their name and logo are well known and liked.