View Full Version : Might be heading to Smartphone - some questions.

dh
01-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Hi guys,

After a couple of very happy years with a Zaurus C860, I'm thinking the time is right to move to a converged device. My contract with Sprint just ended so it's a good opportunity to shop around.

I'm thinking that Cinglular most meets my needs for a good family plan and I'm leaning towards Smartphone rather than PPC phone.

The Cingular 2125 seems to just about meet my requirements, but it does not seem to have WiFi. On the other hand, it seems that I can get an unlocked SP5 that has everything (albeit for more money).

So, here's the questions.....

1. There seem to be a number of different SP5s - SP5m, SP5i etc. Which would be the correct one to use on Cingular?

2. Back when I was a PPC user, I was a big fan of Pocket Informant. Am I right in thinking that these guys don't have a Smartphone version? Any chance of one? It looks as though the DeveloperOne application for Smartphone is available, but it doesn't seem to get very good reviews.

3. I'd like to get the Stowaway BT keyboard for when I need text entry (too old to be any good with T9). Is there a decent note taking program for Smartphone, like Phatnotes for example?

Cheers!
David

edit - Great, I noticed that there is Phatnotes for Smartphone. Things are begining to look rather good :D

Kris Kumar
01-31-2006, 01:01 PM
1. You can go with either of the two i-mate models: SP5 (the black and silver) is my favourite, look stylish and buttons seems to be well spaced. SP5m will work great too. Check out Mike's review (http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9640) over here if you haven't. ;-)

3. There is two I can think of when it comes to notes. Phatnotes (http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7537) is there and then there is SmartphoneNotes. Search for them in our forums. I use John Cody's VNotes (voice based notes). Don't have to carry the keyboard. ;-) Also check to see if they are compatible with WM5.0 QVGA screen.

Jerry Raia
01-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Phatnotes is there and then there is SmartphoneNotes.

Of those two I'd go with SmartphoneNotes (http://www.syncdata.it/sphnotes.html). It runs great on my 2125. Phatnotes is good but it hasn't been updated yet and it had to be installed in main memory.

dh
02-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks guys. Things seem to be falling into place nicely. My Cingular service should be up and running tomorrow.

Of the two I-Mates, I think the black SP5 would be the one for me. I don't really have a need for the music features, and the black colour just looks rather cool.

I wish Cingular's version came with WiFi. I'm tempted to save a few bucks by getting this, but I think I'd get anoyed by the missing feature over time. Do the cellular carriers add anything special to the programs to make their own version work better on their networks?

Regarding the two notes apps, I guess I'll have to try them both and see which works best for me. Phatware claim their current version supports WM5 now.

I enjoyed reading Mike's SP5m review - it goes a way to making me think that one or other version of this phone is the way to go.

Cheers!
David

Jerry Raia
02-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Phatware claim their current version supports WM5 now.

Yes so it does. Thats good because its a bit more polished than SmartphoneNotes. It still says it has to be installed in main memory though. Not good.

Kris Kumar
02-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Of the two I-Mates, I think the black SP5 would be the one for me.

Good choice. :-) Wish I could spare some dough to get the SP5 instead of the 2125.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Wish I could spare some dough to get the SP5 instead of the 2125.

:twak: You can't mean that!

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
I wish Cingular's version came with WiFi. I'm tempted to save a few bucks by getting this, but I think I'd get anoyed by the missing feature over time. Do the cellular carriers add anything special to the programs to make their own version work better on their networks?

Cingular has made some changes to the 2125 so that is works nicely on their network. The only real change, and it's a big one, is that huge HUMP!. ;) But in all seriousness, you don't need the hump, a number of people have commented on how good their i-mates work on the Cingular network. So, no, there is nothing to worry about.

dh
02-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Well, the deal is done. I went ahead and ordered an SP5.

I was in the local Cingular store today to pick up a Razr phone for my daughter and got to play with their demo 2215. I was really impressed with how easy it is to navigate through the menus. I actually prefer the styling of the 2215, it is somewhat curved where the SP5 looks to be a rectangular box. If the 2215 had WiFi included, I would have bought one on the spot.

It's going to be really interesting to see if the SP5 is going to be able to totally replace by Zaurus C860. Even though it's a couple of years old now, I still think the Z is the ultimate PDA hardware.

The phone should arrive by the middle of next week and I'm planing on installing the trials of Papyrus, ClearVue Suite and Phatnotes as soon as I can.

Cheers!
David

Jerry Raia
02-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, the deal is done. I went ahead and ordered an SP5

Good choice! Unfortunately without a hump on it, well, people will point and laugh. 8)

Sven Johannsen
02-04-2006, 08:14 PM
You might want to look at Facade while you are getting that copy of Papyrus.

I've had an SP5 for a week or so now and really like it. The screen is great, but the type is a bit small for me. Have to do a little XML editing to fix that. Not sure I'd miss the WiFi, as the GPRS works very well, and in more places than WiFi. Don't see Edge, but I'm not sure if that is because the icon doesn't change or I'm not in an Edge area. Didn't even consider the SP5m, because the extra music buttons seem to cramp the rest of the keyboard, and it's not like I can't launch Media Player and use the toggle and soft keys then.

Using it on Cingular, BTW, with a SIM I pulled out of a Cingular branded SMT5600. Works fine. I-Mate does have files on their site that automatically configure your phone to whatever network you like. You need to register the device, but it is worth it for the config files, updates, freebies. Links and info will be in the box when you get it.

dh
02-04-2006, 11:00 PM
You might want to look at Facade while you are getting that copy of Papyrus.

Thanks Sven, I was looking at Facade and it looks as though it will play nicely with Papyrus.

This promises to be as much fun as when I got my first PPC years ago.

Sven Johannsen
02-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I was looking at Facade and it looks as though it will play nicely with Papyrus. It does. They are really different functions. Papyrus makes the calendar/task function of the SP shine. Facade gets the info onto your Home screen (equivalent of Today screen on a PPC). Note that to see things that afect your Home screen you typically have to go into the phone setup and select a new Home screen. It is not like a PPC where you can just select/deselect items.

This promises to be as much fun as when I got my first PPC years ago.
It will be.