View Full Version : Smart phone & car?

ashmore0425
01-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Has anyone ever heard anything about the possibilities of connecting my smatphone to my lcd/radio in my car? Is this possible?

Jerry Raia
01-30-2006, 12:18 AM
I have never heard of this. Maybe if someone has they will post something.

Kris Kumar
01-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Some of the newer cars have the Bluetooth car kit, which lets you view the caller id, contacts etc on the car's display. Is that what you are talking about? :?

I have an older legacy model, Honda Accord '00, to which I have hooked up a stereo audio input jack. So that I can plug my Smartphone's audio out directly into the car stereo, and play the music with hi-fidelity, without the FM transmitter receiver nonsense.

Check out http://blitzsafe.com/ for audio adapter interface.

lancia
02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I have a ppc6700 with bluetooth and a 2005 BMW 330ci with bluetooth. BMW's implementation is pretty limited in the '05 330. It basically acts as a handsfree device. You can talk and listen through the car's mic and speakers. The bluetooth is really sketchy with my ppc6700 and my '05 300ci.

I have a friend that has a 2006 330i and the bluetooth is much much nicer. You can answer, call, and search contacts via the car's electronics while connected via bluetooth.

Jerry Raia
02-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Time for a new car! :lol:

Sven Johannsen
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Time for a new car! :lol:

Or maybe just a new radio?
http://www.parrot.biz/products/index.php?id=rhythmnblue
If only it was an A2DP receiver as well as a Handsfree set. :?

ashmore0425
02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I am looking to "dock" my phone in my car that will display on an LCD touchscreen. I could watch movies, play songs, view pictures, anything really. I know the technology exists but I think it is just a matter of putting it all together. I'm really surprised no one has begun working on this technology.

Kris Kumar
02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
I have a ppc6700 with bluetooth and a 2005 BMW 330ci with bluetooth. BMW's implementation is pretty limited in the '05 330.

Can't the dealership update the dash software to the latest firmware? :? That would be sweet.

lancia
02-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I have a ppc6700 with bluetooth and a 2005 BMW 330ci with bluetooth. BMW's implementation is pretty limited in the '05 330.

Can't the dealership update the dash software to the latest firmware? :? That would be sweet.

lol...I said the exact same thing to them. Don't know how much you know about cars or dealers (not that I know that much either) but updating software seems to be on of the last things they do and only do it if there is a mechanical problem.

What's funny is that they BMW tech told me he was positive it was a phone issue and not a car issue. Talking in absolutes when it comes to this stuff is plain silly but like all car dealers, they like to blame everything else ;)

Sven Johannsen
02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
What's funny is that they BMW tech told me he was positive it was a phone issue and not a car issue. Talking in absolutes when it comes to this stuff is plain silly but like all car dealers, they like to blame everything else ;)

Hard to prove otherwise too. My wife and I both have Jeep Libertys with BT Uconnect systems. Her's was always dropping calls and basically intermittantly annoying. My phone would do the same in her car, her phone worked fine in mine. That's the only way we got the dealer to agree that the U-connect in her's was probably fubar. They changed it out and the new one is fine.

Then again, it could be a phone issue. Neither my SMT5600 or MPX220 worked with the U-Connect. They would pair, but nothing else. T610, Razr, K-Jam, JasJar, SP5 all work perfectly.

lancia
02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Hard to prove otherwise too. My wife and I both have Jeep Libertys with BT Uconnect systems. Her's was always dropping calls and basically intermittantly annoying. My phone would do the same in her car, her phone worked fine in mine. That's the only way we got the dealer to agree that the U-connect in her's was probably fubar. They changed it out and the new one is fine.

Then again, it could be a phone issue. Neither my SMT5600 or MPX220 worked with the U-Connect. They would pair, but nothing else. T610, Razr, K-Jam, JasJar, SP5 all work perfectly.

LOL...you have to be kidding me?!? You both had the same car and it worked in one and not the other :O I work with a guy who used to write software for BMW cars and he told me they have the same problems with software development that everyone else does. I could guess as much. Well, I am up for a new car in August and I will be taking my phone to test. For me, it really isn't an option since I spend so much time in my car. I really need this to work.

I just love hearing stories like this :)

Kris Kumar
02-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Given the amount of software that works behind the scenes on a BMW, I am surprised that they don't provide upgrades/updates.

Sven Johannsen
02-09-2006, 06:24 AM
LOL...you have to be kidding me?!? You both had the same car and it worked in one and not the other :O
Keep in mind that U-Connect is a module that is installed. They can be bad, as can any system or piece. Point was that without a second car with the system, would have been tough to unambiguously implicate the U-connect.