View Full Version : cheap imate/smartphone

SickFish89
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
is there a site where i could find a imate for cheap. I really want one of these phones but the only problem is that i dont have the kind of money to put into purchasing one at regular price. help need soon

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
e-bay, used, is all I could suggest. I-mate is expensive because they are unbranded, unlocked devices. No phone company is helping you buy the phone by locking you into their system for a number of years of monthly payments.

Note that I-Mate doesn't make phones, they sell HTC phones. You can get fairly equivalent devices from some cell companies. Cingular just put out the 2125 and 8125 (or will shortly) for instance.

mipaul260
02-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Don't buy an iMate. They are expensive for the reasons the other person who posted mentioned. Get the Audiovov 6700 through verizon (or Sprint has the same thing). It is the same exact device as the iMate K-Jam, which is easily the hottest iMate out now. They are all designed by HTC. But through Verizon the phone is only $299, as oposed to an unlocked iMate for around $700. Even if you have a cell contract, it is cheaper to cancel your contract (about a $200 loss) and sign up for a new service with a discount on the phone. PLUS, the phone will be covered by insurance - and believe me - smart phones break. iMate get no insurance. They only get a limited Mfg. warranty which is sketchy at best. I have heard mized things about iMates service.

Mike Temporale
02-03-2006, 02:22 AM
You have to keep in mind that some people don't want to sign contracts with carriers and want to be free to install and do with the phone as they please. ;) i-mate is great for this.