View Full Version : Russell Beattie's Thoughts on the New Cingular 2125

Mike Temporale
01-25-2006, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008756.html' target='_blank'>http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008756.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I should really keep up with what Microsoft is doing in the mobile space, because as this phone shows, they are really keeping the pressure up in terms of constant improvements to their handsets. I still think they're a year or so away from reaching the tipping point where a normal person would walk into a Cingular shop and choose this phone over, say, a Sony Ericsson w600i Walkman phone sitting next to it for the same price (even though the 2125 is the obviously superior handset in terms of specs), but they're getting close. The phone is small, functional and powerful and with the rebate, relatively inexpensive. To me the pressure is really on for companies like Nokia to keep their place in the smartphone world, otherwise they're going to lose it."</i><br /><br />I think the average person is already walking in an picking the Microsoft phone over the others. Maybe not the majority of people, but for sure this is on the upward swing. We routinely see posts from new users who are looking for help installing applications, home screens, sync'ing, or whatever, and I would have to say that on average, most of these people are not the techie geek that one would normally expect to see with such a phone. I think the only thing that is truly holding back the platform at this point, is looks. We need more cool designs before we can expect to see these things flying off the shelves. The OS is great, IMHO. 8) What do you think?

dstrauss
01-25-2006, 11:07 PM
The 2125 is a great device, particularly for the vast majority of users that need a good phone first, then an integrated PDA second. Other than the fact that T9 sucks as an input method, this little jewel has been the best PDA I've owned (going all the way back to the US Robotics Palm Pilot) because it is ALWAYS with me. I can see this quickly tipping the choice scales, although if they really want to win the arms race, there is one must:

A FLIP PHONE smartphone (how many non-flip phones do you see any more). Come on HTC, release the Star Trek phone!

And, if they could just make that screen a touchscreen, so I could tap in longer responses/messages in the PIM programs when needed - I'd be in heaven.

Kris Kumar
01-26-2006, 04:05 AM
I agree with Russell, we are at the inflection point, we will see increased competition between Symbian and Microsoft; Microsoft will even start making gains.

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2006, 05:55 AM
We need more cool designs before we can expect to see these things flying off the shelves. The OS is great, IMHO. 8) What do you think?

What is not cool about the designs? A candybar is a candybar. Some like chrome, some like black, some even want [shudder] pink. I really hope people that matter are more interested in the ergonomics at least over the outward appearance. I may catch some flak for this, but show me a person who's primary concern is how the phone looks, and I'll show you a person who's Daddy is footing the bill. Yea we need a flip. Some people just like them better. Fix a couple of issues and put WM5 in an MPX220 shell and you got one. I just don't think Moto's heart is in it.

I think the difference is marketing. When was the last time you saw a Razr ad on TV. Now when was the last SMT5600, MPX220, 2125, any WM phone ad? (The MPX220 has a hump BTW. Where were all the humpophobes back then?) The Marketeers are masters at telling us what we want and when, it's their job. Ohhh, the iPod has video. Cripe I had video on my Jornada 5 years ago. Ohh. Verizon has streaming video right over the air. I can't do that with my Smartphone? Somebody needs to push these phones. OS be damned, just display the capabilities, productivity apps, games, video, music, BT, WiFi, oh, and a phone too.

Stinger
01-26-2006, 09:20 AM
The problem that Microsoft face is that virtually all of the good Smartphones are being made by HTC.

HTC phones look and feel cheap. My Orange C500 looked terrible after 6 months of use, with scratches and flaked off paint everywhere. There was also the well documented problems with dust getting behind the screen.

The average guy on the street isn't going to put up with that kind of build quality, especially when they can buy a Sony Ericsson, Nokia or Motorola phone that looks a lot more stylish.

The success of the RAZR shows that most people don't care about the software on their phones. Style matters.

subzerohf
01-26-2006, 01:35 PM
...The average guy on the street isn't going to put up with that kind of build quality, especially when they can buy a Sony Ericsson, Nokia or Motorola phone that looks a lot more stylish.

The success of the RAZR shows that most people don't care about the software on their phones. Style matters.

I agree. I always like Nokia and Sony Ericsson's designs. The only thing that stopped me from buying them was the OS. If they put WM on their phones, sayonara to HTC. (Their dust-behind-screen problem really put me off :x )

mbranscum
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM
[quote=Stinger]... If they put WM on their phones, sayonara to HTC. (Their dust-behind-screen problem really put me off :x )

Does the 2125 have the dust problem???

Jerry Raia
01-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Does the 2125 have the dust problem???

Not so far, nor have I heard of it being a problem.

I used to get compliments about how my old MPx220 looked. No one says anything about my 2125. :(

Mike Temporale
01-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I think the difference is marketing. When was the last time you saw a Razr ad on TV. Now when was the last SMT5600, MPX220, 2125, any WM phone ad?

Do you think the RAZR is a success because it is well marketed, or because it's a cool design? IMHO, I think it's a cool design that the marketing department could then get behind and push. All the marketing in the world didn't help the Aztek or the Lada. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the marketing is missing from WinMo. But I think it's missing for a reason. It's hard to come up with a cool campaign for an un-cool product. The other major draw back is that Microsoft doesn't sell Windows Mobile to the consumer, so they don't tend to push their advertising dollars in that direction.

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Or that it really is a well designed unit. I've mentioned before my wife has a Razr. She even tried my K-Jam for a week and went back. She really wanted a phone edition to be able to combine her phone and the Axim she carries. Problem was ergonomics. She didn't want to get out her reading glasses to use the phone, or the PPC for that matter. The Razr, as much as everyone tauts it size, is a pretty big phone. Big screen, big keys. It's just thin. First time I handled one, I thought it was flimsy, and a bit awkward. Kind of like holding a third of a deck of cards by the edges. Still the hucksters convinced everyone thin was in. Who could live withoput a phone you could still put in your pocket wearing your sexiest (read tightest) jeans. Or one that Odd Job could potentuially use as a weapon.

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
The other major draw back is that Microsoft doesn't sell Windows Mobile to the consumer, so they don't tend to push their advertising dollars in that direction.

That's true, but it doesn't seem like the OEMs want to sell the phones either. I agree it would be hard to market something that inherently sucks, but I don't think the WM phones are horrible. Seems nobody has even really tried.

randalllewis
01-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Marketing is the key to success. Yes, of course, having a quality product is important, but we've all seen junk sold at fairs and in shops. Why do people buy junk? Marketing convinced them to.

There is nothing innovative about the iPod except the click wheel. It was successful because of marketing, which Apple excells at. But Apple's marketing skill is matched by a devotion to design and quality.
The RAZR was innovative and well built (although the tiny rubber bumpers above the screen fell out of mine which causes the keypad to imprint itself onto the screen). And the RAZR was well marketed.

I don't understand the decision making of some firms that develop innovative products or just well built and good looking products but don't know how to market. The Creative Zen is one example.

Companies can reinvent themselves on this point. Samsung is an example of one that has. I'd like to see a clever design on a Windows Mobile phone. So far, the Q comes closest (if we ever really see it). In the meantime I'll be happy and productive with my homely but talented 2125.

Mark Larson
02-13-2006, 06:24 AM
I don't think HTC has a problem in the durability department. Their smartphones and PDAs are well-built. Take a look at an LG, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, etc etc. Cheap crap designed to be obsolete before the year is out. Gotta love 2yr contracts and 1yr warranties. That's where the protection plan comes in. Remember who else offers protection? The MOB!

Therefore, if you buy a non-Smartphone, you're supporting the Mob. Plain and simple. :lol:

In all seriousness, the only manufacturer who makes durable phones is Sony Ericsson, and only the models costing $200 or over.