View Full Version : Study Finds No Increased Risk of Cancer from Cell Phone Use

Mike Temporale
01-20-2006, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-01-20T003602Z_01_L19452292_RTRUKOC_0_US-MOBILES.xml' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-01-20T003602Z_01_L19452292_RTRUKOC_0_US-MOBILES.xml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Using a mobile phone does not increase the risk of developing the most common type of brain tumor, according to a study on Friday. After a four-year survey, scientists at the Institute of Cancer Research in London and three British universities found no link between regular, long-term use of cell phones and glioma. "Overall, we found no raised risk of glioma associated with regular mobile phone use and no association with time since first use, lifetime years of use, cumulative hours of use, or number of calls," said Professor Patricia McKinney, of the University of Leeds, in a report in the British Medical Journal. She added that the results were consistent with the findings of most studies done in the United States and Europe."</i><br /><br />Looks like it's safe to talk on your cell phone again! Until the next study that finds otherwise is released. ;) We keep hearing conflicting reports on this subject, so I would like to know what you think. Are you concerned about the possible risk of cancer from using your cell phone?

annyksa
01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
how can any study be done when cellphones haven;t been out to the masses for that long? maybe it takes years of useage before the tumor starts to grow. If u use logic u will find that having such an intense antenna close to your brain should have some negative effect. I believe that people ought to stick to using the landline for long conversations and use the cellphone for emergency use or for convenience while away from the home. play it safe baby!

Kris Kumar
01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Hmm...looks like I am the only one who is sitting on the fence. I voted - undecided. :)

Kris Kumar
01-21-2006, 04:32 PM
how can any study be done when cellphones haven;t been out to the masses for that long?

Though I am not paranoid about cell phones and brain cancer or whatever, but I agree with you that the cell phones are probably too new and the technology is evolving. When I hear my 2125's data and voice signal interfering with my car stereo, TV and other speakers, I can't help but wonder about the effects of those signals on my brain long term. ;-)

That said, I am not rushing out to buy the tin-foil for my head. Now I have to go and get back to installing the new 802.11g router from Linksys with 3 antennas, which is supposed to dramatically improve the signal strength inside my home. :lol:

Mike Temporale
01-21-2006, 06:32 PM
The article talks about how the older analog phones could have potentially been worse. But digital phones require much less power. I think that sounds very reasonable to me.

Jerry Raia
01-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Just make aluminum foil hat. It keeps out the voices too :)