View Full Version : Contacts Settings Grayed Out in AS 4.1 on 2125

Gator5000e
01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Not sure I posted this in the correct forum, but I did search and did not find anything.

Is this something that AS 4.1 does? I am unable to select what contacts I want synced to my phone; I thought I could do it in WM 2003SE, but now I can't recall. Also, I made a change to one of my my contacts in my 2125 but it did not make the change in Outlook.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mike Temporale
01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I am unable to select what contacts I want synced to my phone; I thought I could do it in WM 2003SE, but now I can't recall.

Are you talking about the use of categories? If so, that's not a change in Windows Mobile 5, but a change in ActiveSync 4.1.

Also, I made a change to one of my my contacts in my 2125 but it did not make the change in Outlook.

Hrm, nothing comes to mind. It should transfer the change back up to the desktop when you sync. Did you make changes to the contact in both locations, by chance? If so, the desktop version wins - I think.

Gator5000e
01-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Mike, thanks for the response. On my Axim X30, I can, in AS (or I could in 3.7), right click on Contacts and then choose the contacts I want to sync to my Pocket PC. That option is not available for my 2125 in AS 4.1. I guess it just syncs the entire contact list. I wold like to limit the number of contacts in my contact list on my phone. I could do it with AS 3.8.

As for my other problem, it did sync the change I made to my 2125 to my desktop Outlook. I had the adress setting on Business and the change was to a home address.

Gator5000e
01-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I just went in and checked my Axim and AS 4.1 allows me, in the Contacts settings, to choose which Contacts I want to sync. That settings option is grayed out when my 2125 is connected. I guess this feature is not available in WM5. Oh well. Would be nice if you had the choice to limit the contact list. I am afraid to delete them from the phone as they will probably get deleted from Outlook.

Mike Temporale
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Mike, thanks for the response. On my Axim X30, I can, in AS (or I could in 3.7), right click on Contacts and then choose the contacts I want to sync to my Pocket PC. That option is not available for my 2125 in AS 4.1. I guess it just syncs the entire contact list. I wold like to limit the number of contacts in my contact list on my phone. I could do it with AS 3.8.

Are you saying that you hand picked each and every contact that you wanted to sync? Or did you select them based on category? If I recall, it was category based.

Al lmy contacts sync across, even though I only use a small percentage of them. With SmartDial, it's very easy to find the contact you're looking for, so it doesn't really bother me if there are lots of extra's.

If you really want, create a folder inside your contacts folder in Outlook. Move anything you don't want to sync inside the folder. ;)

As for my other problem, it did sync the change I made to my 2125 to my desktop Outlook. I had the adress setting on Business and the change was to a home address.

Oh good. 'Cause I had no clue what was happening there! :lol:

Gator5000e
01-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Mike, I am sure you know this, but on my Axim, I am able to individually select what contacts I want to sync. I right click on Contacts and then go into settings. There are 3 choices: Sync all contacts, sync only the following categories or sync only the following contacts. If I select the last category, I can choose what contacts I want to sync.

This does not appear to be available in SM5.

Mike Temporale
01-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Mike, I am sure you know this, but on my Axim, I am able to individually select what contacts I want to sync. I right click on Contacts and then go into settings. There are 3 choices: Sync all contacts, sync only the following categories or sync only the following contacts. If I select the last category, I can choose what contacts I want to sync.

This does not appear to be available in SM5.

Actually, no I didn't. I haven't used my Pocket PC in .... Well, let's just say a long time. ;)

And further to that, I sync all my contacts and let SmartDial filter down the list for me. Regardless, it sounds like an Active Sync change, and not a Windows Mobile change. If you still have your old device, you can connect it and see. AS4.1 will act like AS3.8 when a non-Windows MObile 5 device connects. So, you should have that option available if you connect an older device. At least thats would expect.

Jerry Raia
01-18-2006, 02:32 AM
If you still have your old device, you can connect it and see. AS4.1 will act like AS3.8 when a non-Windows MObile 5 device connects. So, you should have that option available if you connect an older device. At least thats would expect.

The first part is right. It does act like 3.8. You still can't select categories of contacts to sync on a WM2003 device. I just tried it with my 6515.

Gator5000e
01-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Category filters are available to my X30 running 2003SE under 4.1. But not the WM5 Smartphone. Not real smart in my opinion. Anything to avoid having to navigate with the joy stick.

Mike Temporale
01-18-2006, 03:53 AM
This has nothing to do with joystick navigation. It's a change in ActiveSync not the Smartphone or Pocket PC OS.