View Full Version : Google Offers Personal Mobile Homepage

Mike Temporale
01-13-2006, 04:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2006-01-12T202912Z_01_FOR272363_RTRUKOC_0_US-TELECOMS-GOOGLE-WIRELESS.xml' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2006-01-12T202912Z_01_FOR272363_RTRUKOC_0_US-TELECOMS-GOOGLE-WIRELESS.xml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Web search leader Google Inc. on Thursday said it was now offering U.S. mobile phone users a personalized version of the Google home page tailored to work on most recently introduced mobile phones. The Google Personalized Home page for mobile phones will allow consumers to conduct Web searches and check Gmail e-mail, news headlines, local weather reports or a list of stock prices -- all from one central page on their phones. Google is racing with Internet rivals such as Yahoo, Microsoft, America Online and InfoSpace to extend the information services they already offer on computers to the browsers of mobile phones."</i><br /><br />I must admit, that I have done more than a couple Google searchs from my phone, but I don't think I need a personalized home page. I try to conserve bandwidth when using my phone. So, I'm more interested in keeping the page clean and small. :wink:

encece
01-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Coincidentally I was just playing with this last night and set mine all up.

I set my IE button on my SP5m to run this as my IE homepage.

The cool thing is that since I am always having problems with Newsbreak for some reason....I have all of my RSS feeds on there as well.

Along with Weather, Gmail, Local Movies and Top World News headlines...it's my one stop shop for alot of the infor I use everyday. Plus I can google search from it.

They need to add a few more options, but I already think it's pretty cool.

All you can eat GPRS is a plus, but I cant imagine the page being more that on the double digits in KBs.

subzerohf
01-13-2006, 11:01 PM
I was playing with it, too. I always wanted to be get movie showtimes on my phone. Google home page is the only way I can get local theatres to show.

Jerry Raia
01-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm sure this will make a wonderful addition to their collection of betas. :roll:

Mike Temporale
01-14-2006, 02:05 AM
I was playing with it, too. I always wanted to be get movie showtimes on my phone. Google home page is the only way I can get local theatres to show.

I used http://wap.tribute.ca for the longest time. It worked great, but it looks like they shut it down. :(

ctmagnus
01-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I can get movie listings on that link, on the desktop. I haven't tried it on the Smartphone yet, though, as my area isn't listed (surprise, surprise).

Mike Temporale
01-14-2006, 02:19 AM
I can get movie listings on that link, on the desktop. I haven't tried it on the Smartphone yet, though, as my area isn't listed (surprise, surprise).

Really? The page just sits there spinning and nothing happens. It's been doing that for a couple months now. Maybe it just doesn't like me anymore.

ctmagnus
01-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Really? The page just sits there spinning and nothing happens. It's been doing that for a couple months now. Maybe it just doesn't like me anymore.

Just clicking around with it on the desktop, some of the links work and some return Firefox's page not found error. Also, some of the links work for me then a few seconds later, I get the page not found error with those links.

I suspect it's just overloaded. Everyone under 18 years of age should have their wap privileges revoked because of this. ;)

Kris Kumar
01-14-2006, 04:01 AM
I like it. Don't mind the download size. I have the EDGE! :mrgreen:

But...but..I don't like pIE. No way to quickly scroll down and up. With linear browsing how come Microsoft didn't provide any hot keys. Or am I just ignorant. :oops: :cry: :evil:

encece
01-14-2006, 06:24 AM
http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=221

for page scrolling on PIE WM5.
There is also a tutorial for WM2003 devices as well on the same site.

Kris Kumar
01-14-2006, 05:38 PM
This is cool. I am going to give it a try right now. 8)

Kris Kumar
01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
It works..it works. I am going to post this on the main page.
:clap: