View Full Version : turning gprs off temporarily? on sp5m

annyksa
01-09-2006, 07:38 AM
plz plz plz tell me that on the sp5m there is a way to temporarily disable the G, gprs, it sucks up soo much battery without me even going on the net, is there a way to turn off the gprs? thanks

Mike Temporale
01-09-2006, 02:26 PM
You're not the first person to say that it uses a lot of battery power, but I don't find that to be the case. I have 2 email accounts that are set to check email every hour. Plus Fizz Traveller that is set to download the weather twice a day. Outside of that, it's just me messing around reading webpages, or checking my mail (because, sometimes once an hour isn't enough :mrgreen: )

So with all that, I still get a pretty long time out of a battery charge. Now, if I listen to music for a couple hours a day, that seems to have a big impact on power.

Would it be possible that some other application is wasting CPU cycles and thus draining your batter?

As for your question, pressing the END key should terminate your connection. But I don't think I have had to do this in a very long time.

Kris Kumar
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
plz plz plz tell me that on the sp5m there is a way to temporarily disable the G, gprs, it sucks up soo much battery without me even going on the net, is there a way to turn off the gprs? thanks

GPRS and EDGE both are supposed to be dormant, if you are not browsing the Internet or checking E-Mails etc. The little G or E over the signal bars means that GPRS/EDGE connection has been established with the network - only established and not necessarily active.

I would agree with Mike's suggestion, some other application is draining the battery.

Also, how about turning off the E-Mail sync and other data sync operations for a day to see, if GPRS is the real issue. And as Mike suggested, if you see the little G or E on the home screen, press the call-hang-up button twice and you will see the little E or G symbol over the signal bars disappear.