View Full Version : General WM5 Questions - Email / Pictures & Videos

oturn
01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
When I send an email on my i-mate SP5, the message is sent to the Outbox, but I've got to choose Send/Receive before it's actually sent. Why is this? Is there a way to have email sent immediately?

I keep all of my picture & videos on a storage card, and I've pointed the Pictures & Videos application to the storage card more than once. Why doesn't it remember this location the next time it's started? Is there any way to have it default to the storage card, or at least the last selected location?

Mike Temporale
01-05-2006, 03:18 AM
When I send an email on my i-mate SP5, the message is sent to the Outbox, but I've got to choose Send/Receive before it's actually sent. Why is this? Is there a way to have email sent immediately?

What type of account do you have setup - POP or IMAP or Exchange? With POP and IMAP you'll need to do a send receive, and I'm not sure how Exchange works. However, MSFP is out, things should be different for Exchange.

I keep all of my picture & videos on a storage card, and I've pointed the Pictures & Videos application to the storage card more than once. Why doesn't it remember this location the next time it's started? Is there any way to have it default to the storage card, or at least the last selected location?

How did you set this? I think there is something in the Camera applications options that allows you to set the folder. Mine seems to work fine.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2006, 04:29 AM
It's the same for exchange too. Sometimes though if you still have an active connection to the Internet (and still connected to the exchange server) it will send it right away.

oturn
01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
It's a POP account. What is the reasoning behind the manual Send/Receive, instead of sending right away?

In Pictures & Videos -- Menu, Folders, Storage Card. It isn't saving the selection.

Mike Temporale
01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
It's a POP account. What is the reasoning behind the manual Send/Receive, instead of sending right away?

Because it could potentialy cost you money everytime. Think of it like dialup, you connect download your email then disconnect, compose your replies, connect and send them all at once. Or, here's another situation, what would happen if it just sends the email right away, but in the time you take you downloading the message and composing a reply your connection dropped due to poor reception - lost email. You'll waste more cycles testing to see if the connection is there first everytime you have a message to send, than if you send them all in one batch.

If this is a really big deal for you, just set your email account to do an automatic send/recieve every 5 minutes. I'm sure it will have an impact on your battery life, but it will acheive the same results.

In Pictures & Videos -- Menu, Folders, Storage Card. It isn't saving the selection.

Is your memory card fully inserted? Can you browse it from the file explorer? Also, how much free space is on the card?

oturn
01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Your explanation of the Send/Receive functionality does makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Pictures & Videos works great with my storage card. It just defaults to \My Documents\My Pictures on the local storage everytime it's started. I'd like it to default to \Storage Card\My Documents\My Pictures instead. This doesn't seem to be an option in WM5. If I never exit Pictures & Videos it remains pointed to storage card. It's just the when starting the application new that it default to the local storage.

Mike Temporale
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Check the value in the following registry location. Mine is set to "2"

HKLM\Software\HTC\Camera\Common\SDCardAsDefaultFolder

oturn
01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Mine is set to 2 as well. Maybe this is an i-mate SP5 issue?