View Full Version : Opera Mini for Your Phone

Jerry Raia
12-22-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.opera.com/download/operamini/?partner=nordic' target='_blank'>http://www.opera.com/download/operamini/?partner=nordic</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In preparation of our worldwide launch of Opera Mini in early 2006, we have temporarily removed the regional downloading restrictions. This is to allow for more traffic on our servers as we are scaling up and getting ready. Please note that Opera Mini is not yet officially available, and we may discontinue this exclusive preview without prior notice."</i><br /><br />Yes it is a Java application. I tried it on my brand spanking new 2125 hump phone and it seized up. Probably just doesn't work on WM5 devices yet as it seemed to be a screen issue. I couldn't get to the close link on the intro page. At any rate for all you Opera fans here it is. :)<br /><br />Update: There are two versions. Hi-mem and Lo-mem. The Hi-mem version is the one that didn't work for me. The Lo-mem version does work. :)

Mike Temporale
12-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Same problem I had on my phone. :(

Bill Harrison
12-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I can confirm that it works properly on the SMT5600. I see no advances over PIE, so I have little use for it. Anyone recommend reasons to use this over PIE?

Rebecca
12-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I can confirm that it works properly on the SMT5600. I see no advances over PIE, so I have little use for it. Anyone recommend reasons to use this over PIE?

Here is the main reason to recommend it over IE:

Opera mini uses a proxy that compresses pages to 5% of their original size!

Pages load much faster and if you are under a limited data plan it is a must. Note I have tried the V2 and Squeezer but they can't match Opera mini. By the way Opera mini for Symbian costs $30 and you have to pay a monthly fee for the proxy and for Smartphone version there is no Proxy support.

The SMT 5600 only supports the Lo-Fi version of Opera mini (I have no idea why because the Audiovox is a high end phone).

The High-Fi version of Opera mini wich I have tried on another phone (one that Jerry does not like :roll: ) is very different.

In terms of performance and usability Opera mini Hi-Fi dances circles aroung PIE's lame arse!

Jerry Raia
12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
The High-Fi version of Opera mini wich I have tried on another phone (one that Jerry does not like :roll: ) is very different.

I love all phones. :grinning devil:

cortez
12-23-2005, 12:47 AM
jerry - how is that hump phone?

Jerry Raia
12-23-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm loving it. I'll do a front page post with some pictures shortly. :)

wshwe
12-23-2005, 01:35 AM
By the way Opera mini for Symbian costs $30 and you have to pay a monthly fee for the proxy and for Smartphone version there is no Proxy support.Paying $30 plus a monthly fee for the Symbian version is a rip-off! This sounds like Webviewer.

Rebecca
12-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Hey guys remember that you have to pay me royalties for using the word Humpphone.

If you don't I will put a lawsuit. :p

Rebecca
12-23-2005, 01:42 AM
By the way Opera mini for Symbian costs $30 and you have to pay a monthly fee for the proxy and for Smartphone version there is no Proxy support.Paying $30 plus a monthly fee for the Symbian version is a rip-off! This sounds like Webviewer.

That's why most Symbian Users are using Opera Mini instead. By the way Mini has better performance than the native Opera mobile plus free proxy and free program. It is a no brainer :roll:

I just wish the folks at Opera make the Hi-Fi version WM friendly.

robertotores
12-23-2005, 01:53 AM
[i]I tried it on my brand spanking new 2125 hump phone and it seized up. Probably just doesn't work on WM5 devices yet as it seemed to be a screen issue. I couldn't get to the close link on the intro page. At any rate for all you Opera fans here it is. :)

There are two versions of Opera mini a low memory lo-fi version and a full featured hi-fi.

The hi-fi does no work with WM (neither 5 nor 2003). The lo-fi version works fine on the SMT 5600.

By the way Opera Mini renders pages incredibly fast (due to compression) and they look much better and are more usable than PIE.

The best thing is that you don't need to go to specialized mobile versions of the sites when using mini.

For example the regular smartphoethoughts page looks incredibly well on Opera mini and loads much faster than the mobile version on PIE (not to mention less data).

I am accessing all the regular sites such as Gmail and Yahoo directly on Opera Mini.

Jerry Raia
12-23-2005, 02:06 AM
I did try the hi-fi version. Ill give the the other one a shot and report back.

iJITSU
12-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Why does anyone with a smartphone care about Opera Mini when the Opera mobile version for WM Smartphone 2003 works on WM 5.0? I've been using Opera (not the java version) on a 2125 and 8310 with no problems.

robertotores
12-23-2005, 02:12 AM

It is not as good as the hi-fi version, but the compression works the same way. You will like it.

On a separate topic:

By the way, I just tried that other phone you love and it is not just beautiful but also incredibly hackable.

There is a whole geek community called motomodders that does all sorts of software mods to it. And also the Java gamesfor it are incredibly advanced, (like Prince of Persia, and Age of Empires) much more than some WM games.

Why the game companies are not making these cool java programs compatible with Smartphone :(

robertotores
12-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Why does anyone with a smartphone care about Opera Mini when the Opera mobile version for WM Smartphone 2003 works on WM 5.0? I've been using Opera (not the java version) on a 2125 and 8310 with no problems.

The same reason Rebecca gave beafore:

Opera mini supports a proxy that compresses pages to 5% of their original size. Also Opera mini is free while the SP version is $30.

Rebecca
12-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey guys while you are at it give Opera Desktop version a try. It is now Free.

About the Java games: I am also frustrated by the fact that companies like Game Loft and Jamdat are completely ignoring the Smart Phones that have Java. they support ALL java phones exept the smartphones.

Jerry Raia
12-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Ok the lowfi version worked fine on the 2125. I'll fix the front page post!

Mike Temporale
12-23-2005, 02:40 AM

Same here. I guess I'll have to download the lo-fi and give it a try. Not that I'll ever use it. Who wants to launch Java just to launch their browser. Not worth the extra clicks if you ask me. I haven't found much inthe way of Java, that's worth the effort.

Jerry Raia
12-23-2005, 02:43 AM

Same here. I guess I'll have to download the lo-fi and give it a try. Not that I'll ever use it. Who wants to launch Java just to launch their browser. Not worth the extra clicks if you ask me. I haven't found much inthe way of Java, that's worth the effort.

I kind of feel the same way about it.

pgb55
12-23-2005, 04:42 AM
I tried the Opera Mobile browser and Opera Mini. Servicable, but Thunderhawk remains the defacto mobile browser. Looking forward to a TH WM2005 release.

jfreiman
12-23-2005, 06:09 AM

The one thing I missed in the PIE browser was that it couldn't render "frames" - nearly all of my banking sites use "frames" and therefore I couldn't look up my accounts on my phone.

iJITSU
12-23-2005, 07:45 AM

Opera mini supports a proxy that compresses pages to 5% of their original size. Also Opera mini is free while the SP version is $30.

Ah, fair enough.

robertotores
12-23-2005, 12:04 PM

Ah, fair enough.

By the way, the proxy on Simbian costs a high monthly fee and is unavailable for SP, but is completely free for the Java Opera Mini wich works on SP!

iJITSU
12-24-2005, 06:32 AM
Well, with EDGE and Opera Mobile for Smartphone 2003, the pages load very quickly, so I'm fine with not having the proxy. I would, however, love an update to Opera that includes the ability to dowload content. It works on the Symbian version but not on the WM version.

davidlove
12-26-2005, 09:00 PM
To be fair to Opera Mini, it's not targeted at PIE, but at the 700m worldwide users of non-Smart but Java enabled phones.

And if you've got one such phone, Mini may make you wonder why you need anything smarter. It's one very smart app and here's why.

First, it uses a proxy server that serves only the data you need, thus rendering it (more or less) correctly for the small screen, whilst cutting the c**p. This makes it quicker and saves download dollars.

Second, it understands what folk on the move want from a browser. Check your eBay listings? Airline schedules? Weather and traffic? All the interactive stuff that can be fiddly in PIE and downright impossible on a WAP browser works fine, albeit within the limitations of a phone keypad.

Oh, and it's free. As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, is that a no-brainer or what?

me
12-28-2005, 01:20 AM

I cannot confirm that. I got Opera Mini Lo-Fi to install on my SMT5600 (originally ATT, now unlocked, don't know if that's a different ROM than the newer Cingular model), but I cannot access any web sites with it.

That might have something to do with the fact that I am on T-Mobile USA, using the T-Zones GPRS rather than the Internet data plan. To access web sites via T-zones one needs to use the T-Mo proxy. I don't see any way to set a proxy for Opera Mini.

Pocket IE can access sites on my phone, it uses the T-mo proxy set in the phone's connection settings. Apparently Opera Mini doesn't read the proxy from there. I have tried the demo of Opera for Windows Mobile (not the same as mini), and I could get it to work by setting the t-mo proxy in the opera.ini file. But there doesn't seem to be any .ini file in Opera Mini. I don't see any way to set a proxy that works with Opera Mini. Anyone know how?

I read in another forum that someone did this (with a Samsung phone, not a Smartphone) by setting the proxy in Java itself, in something called "Java World". But the Java settings on the SMT5600 have no provision for setting a proxy.

Anyone been able to do this?

Are there bookmarks in Opera Mini? Auto-complete?

me
12-28-2005, 01:24 AM

Google Maps looks like a good app, but I couldn't get it to work on my SMT5600, and from what I read in a thread here, neither can most others. Anyone get that to work? Or the similar app Via Virtual Earth?

me
12-28-2005, 01:25 AM
I tried the Opera Mobile browser and Opera Mini. Servicable, but Thunderhawk remains the defacto mobile browser. Looking forward to a TH WM2005 release.

Is there a Thunderhawk for Smartphone 2003? What do you like about it, more so than Opera Mobile? Web site?

MitchellO
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1456/CIMG5012.jpg
A Java app based on Google Maps

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9647/CIMG5013.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9022/CIMG5014.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2139/CIMG5015.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1167/CIMG5016.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3360/CIMG5017.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2968/CIMG5018.jpg

The Opera Mini browser loading and viewing the Engadget page. Opera makes Engadget viable on GPRS!

me
01-29-2006, 04:46 AM
I'd still like to know if anyone has been able to access web sites via Opera Mini on an Audiovox SMT5600 on the T-Mobile USA network using the T-Zones proxy?

If so, where do you specify the T-Zones proxy for Opera Mini? In the demo of Opera for WM, one can modify the opera.ini file to specify the proxy. I see no opera.ini file for opera mini however, and I don't think it reads the system proxy settings, which work for PIE. (Some users of other phones have been able to specify the proxy in Java settings, but I don't see that possibility in the SMT5600.)

A little OT, but I see in one photo on this page the user running Google Maps. That's another Java app I cannot run on my SMT5600. It constantly says "loading", and never loads. (Well, I can run Opera Mini, I just cannot access any web sites, which I think has something to do with the need to specify the T-Zones proxy.)

ll600
01-31-2006, 07:19 AM
I think it's quite simple - Opera Mini rules. It lets me easily, quickly (and freely) view sites that are extremely slow and cumbersome in PIE.

It GREATLY increases the utility and usability of the 2125.

me
02-06-2006, 07:12 AM

My guess is that's a misunderstanding. I think all versions of Opera Mini are free.

Regular Opera Mobile, such as that for Windows Mobile 2003, costs $30, and I assume it is the same with the Symbian version, and someone confused that with Opera Mini.

E-Double
03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
has anyone got opera mini working on the t-mobile sda?

i've dowloaded the .cab file to the phone and installed it that way. however, opera hangs when it first starts up. it asks to be the default browser, but i can't push the "yes" or "no" buttons.

has anyone had these same problems with opera and wm 5.0?

eliteramen
03-31-2006, 12:00 AM
has anyone got opera mini working on the t-mobile sda?

i've dowloaded the .cab file to the phone and installed it that way. however, opera hangs when it first starts up. it asks to be the default browser, but i can't push the "yes" or "no" buttons.

has anyone had these same problems with opera and wm 5.0?

Yes, I have Opera Mini working on my T-Mobile SDA. Opera has a campaign web site (http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/campaign/) which contains a help page. The installation instructions (intended for your desktop browser) (http://help.opera.com/mini/1.2/en/install.html#install) tell you to simply point your SDA browser to http://mini.opera.com. Worked for me!

edit:
After running Opera Mini for the first time, I expected a shortcut to appear in the Start screens. But alas, I saw no such thing. So I had to create my own shortcut to the Java Midlet Manager. After some digging around, I found the Java Midlet Manager executable that runs the darn thing. Instructions follow.

- Open the File Manager.
- Turn hide system files off.
(Menu --> Options --> [ ] Hide system files --> Done).
- Navigate to C:\Windows\jmm.exe and highlight it.
- Create a shortcut to jmm.exe. This shortcut will be placed where the start menu links (.LNK files) are located.
(Menu --> File --> Create Shortcut --> navigate to C:\Windows\Start Menu\ --> Done)

By default, the shortcut will be named "jmm_exe.lnk". Since the Start screens will display the filename sans ".lnk", you ought to rename it to something more appropriate (I called mine "Java Apps.lnk")
From this point forward, you can access Opera Mini by navigating to the third Start screen and selecting your shortcut (e.g. "Java Apps"). Opera Mini should be listed.

[eR]

E-Double
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks bro...i finally got it working. i've mapped java apps to my t-mobile t-zones button too. so far it's worked without a hitch.