View Full Version : SPV C500, Please help!

harrogate22
12-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Folks, and HELP! (please)

I bought an SPV C500 in October last year – through ORANGE (UK), and on a contract.

When the year was up, I paid the last bill and contacted ORANGE to have the phone unlocked, while requesting to retain the same number.

ORANGE sent me a new SIM (same number) and unlocked the phone (they sent a text, to which I responded, as they requested.

After swapping SIMs, the phone worked fine; I was – or so I thought – free of ORANGE.

As the phone now belonged to me, I posted it to my son in Australia for him to use as he wished. I had previously used it in OZ, so I didn’t anticipate any problems for him.

He has called me this morning to say that the phone does not work; it refuses to accept his SIM, though all other features work fine.

PLEASE ……. Can anyone advise on how to remedy the situation? I’ve paid for the phone over the one-year contract, so it’s very annoying that it can’t now be used.

P.S. There is just one factor that might be relevant: I’ve since received another bill from ORANGE (about £14) which came after I formally terminated my direct-debit, and I’ve struggled to pay this amount. Every time I try to pay on VISA, I’m told my account no longer exists. A CATCH-22! Might ORANGE have blocked the phone for this reason?

Sorry this is all such a ramble, but I’d much appreciate any advice so my son can use the phone that I have fully paid for.

Mike Temporale
12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
If the phone is unlocked, then there is nothing for Orange to block.

I don't know much about the phone landscape in OZ. So I can't really comment. I would check to make sure it isn't something with his SIM. Perhaps you can have him try a SIM from his friends phone?

Orange phones have 2 different locks on them. There is a certificate that needs to be removed and then an unlock. I'm not really versed on the process, but maybe only one of the two has been cleared. Just a guess.