View Full Version : Using FM to get MP3s on Car Stereo with SMT5600?

vikings
12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can get an FM transmitter to plug into the audio jack and get my MP3s to play on my car stereo?

Thanks

Mike Temporale
12-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Yup, no problems. You might need to get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, but that should be all you need. 8)

vikings
12-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Yeah, there are FM transmitters all over the place with 3.5mm plugs, but where can I get the adapter? And what happens to the fourth pin for the mic? Will a standard 3 pin 2.5 mm plug work in the 4 pin 2.5mm hole on the phone?

Thanks

Mike Temporale
12-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Yes, you just won't have mic capabilities. You can get them all over the place - ebay, Radio Shack, or pretty much any electronics store.

Sven Johannsen
12-28-2005, 04:52 PM
I haven't found them that easy to locate. You have to be careful too, because the pinouts aren't consistant either. MPX220 and SMt5600 adapters aren't interchangeable for example. In any case, if you don't have any luck in your locale, http://stores.ebay.com/esoTechTrix has what you need.

vikings
12-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks alot Sven, that's exactly what I needed. Do you have a preferenece for any particular FM Transmitter?

Sven Johannsen
12-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks alot Sven, that's exactly what I needed. Do you have a preferenece for any particular FM Transmitter?

I don't like any of them, but Belkin's Tunecast II works pretty well. It can be battery powered so you don't have to do too much cabling for short trips and the freq is continuously tunable (as opposed to two or three fixed stations).

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=166903

Best of all it comes in something other than iPod white ;)

vikings
01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
The adapter from Radio Shack did work, for $5, and I also bought a FM transmitter there for $25. The transmitter was very weak on all of the frequencies (it had a choice of 8). It only worked it if I held right up to the radio. The Kingston 1 gb miniSD chip that I bought for Christmas was also flaky, it would hang a lot during reading and writing. The store is replacing it, so we'll see if it was just a faulty unit.

To bad we can't upgrade the bluetooth profile to do audio AD2P or whatever it's called. That would be sweet!

vikings
02-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Update: I returned the FM transmitter to Radio Shack, got my money back, and bought a regular old cassette adapter. Not as versatile, but dependable. The sound quality of the music at 125 kbs is tinny, so I'm going to try synchronizing at a higher rate. The store did replace my Kingston chip and the new one works great... 1gb is awesome. One downer though, the windows media that came with wm2000SE doesnt support book chapters (as far as I can tell) so you have to start an audio book over from the beginning every time you stop it! I havent found any free players yet that do support chapters, only ones for about $20.