View Full Version : CityTime home screen plug-in?

MitzEclipse
12-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to install the home screen plug-in for City Time? I have city time installed on my smartphone, however, i dont' see an .exe for the home screen plug in. reading the readme files and there is a plug in somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere on the website either. I also emailed their tech support, however, no one responded... maybe someone here may know?

Thanks

Mike Temporale
12-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure... I'm guessing that the plugin wasn't installed with the application, eh? :?

MitzEclipse
12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure... I'm guessing that the plugin wasn't installed with the application, eh? :?

No, it wasn't... :(

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Not like I'm the expert on this stuff, but don't most apps that have some sort of Homescreen add-in create a new homescreen layout entry that can be selected in the homescreen settings page. With the XML scheme for doing the homescreen, you don't get nice easy checkboxes. Some seem to create a whole new homescreen layout that has just the new item, some seem to be nice and incorporate themselves into what is current.

If there is a new homescreen layout, I belive the XML for it would be in \Storage\Application Data\Home . You might need to look at the XML to see what new plugin was loaded. For instance I have
BP.home.xml (Battery Plus)
msnplugin.home.xml (Pocket MSN)
SpbGPRS_full.home.xml (one of several including GPRS Monitor)

MitzEclipse
12-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Oh my... now i feel stupid :? I didn't realize it was already loaded in the Settings -> Home Screen -> City Time full layout. Doh! I thought I had to manually install a plug in... thanks all.

Sven Johannsen
12-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Oh my... now i feel stupid :? .

Good Lord, don't feel like that. If you've any experience with PPCs, PDAs in general, the way Smartphones do the homescreen is anything but intuitive. I looked for that list of homescreen items to turn on and off and re-arrange when I got my first SP. Still irks me that I have to learn to edit XML if I don't like the way someone else decided it should look.

MitzEclipse
12-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Oh my... now i feel stupid :? .

Good Lord, don't feel like that. If you've any experience with PPCs, PDAs in general, the way Smartphones do the homescreen is anything but intuitive. I looked for that list of homescreen items to turn on and off and re-arrange when I got my first SP. Still irks me that I have to learn to edit XML if I don't like the way someone else decided it should look.

Thanks sven... I actually reverted back to the default homescreen just because i didn't like the look of the citytimes homescreen. oh well... i'll just view my int'l timezones within the application. It's actually a pretty neat app

Mike Temporale
12-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Here's where things get fun, and it's exactly what Sven was talking about in regards to XML. ;)

You can rip the XML code out of the CityTimes homescreen and plug it into the default one. If you want to, that is. :D

Sven Johannsen
12-21-2005, 04:36 AM
You can rip the XML code out of the CityTimes homescreen and plug it into the default one.

Well, maybe you and Jerry can, but for some of us, XML might as well be Greek. I've played, but you better believe I sweat everytime I select a homescreen I've edited. I'm absolutely sure I can screw something up enought to require a hard reset to fix it :roll:

Mike Temporale
12-21-2005, 04:59 AM
Oh, I agree. It's certianly not for everyone.