View Full Version : Is Your Smartphone a Survivor?

Kris Kumar
12-20-2005, 03:00 PM
The new Windows Mobile 5.0 based Smartphones with EDGE, Wi-Fi and better screens are now available. Most of us are thinking about getting one. I was researching the options, when my Smartphone rang and I picked it up to answer the call. That is when I realized that my i-mate SP3i has been by my side for more than a year now. And it has been doing a fabulous job. It underwent two hard-resets, three firmware upgrades and two really bad falls.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-SP3i-0.jpg
Figure 1: This is how my SP3i looks after more than a year of daily use.

I am pretty impressed with how my SP3i looks. I do take care of it, but at the same time it shows the quality of the materials used by HTC. Let us take a moment to thank our Smartphones for being there for us. And in case you have a survivor story, like this one (http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9805) with nail-biting moments, then please do share it with us. :) Remember to hug your Smartphone and let us know what model you own and for how long you have had it. ;-)<!>

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-SP3i-2.jpg
Figure 2: The joy stick is now white. The silver coating faded a while back. I kinda like it. 8) And it still works like it used to when I first got it.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-SP3i-1.jpg
Figure 3: I have dropped my SP3i on pavement couple of times. It got its first bruise during the first month of ownership. Ouch! :cry:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-SP3i-3.jpg
Figure 4: Another scrape, not really visible in the photograph. Got this one when it fell on the pavement again. :-(

I am pretty impressed with the build quality. Both the falls were pretty bad, almost 3 feet drop. In spite of the painful falls, the case didn't come apart. The joy stick didn't stop working. Their is no rattling noise when I shake the Smartphone. :lol: It is going strong. I have no real complaints, the only trouble is that the Smartphone technology has improved - EDGE, Wi-Fi, Windows Mobile 5.0. :drool: So how is your Smartphone doing?

keirmeister
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
My SP3i is still hanging in there (it has only been a year after all). The joystick has always been weak - I even sent it in for repairs to fix it, and the keypad is lifting up in the upper-corner (near the call button).

But this unit is gorgeous!!!!.

I would love it if it had WM5 and QVGA, though. Why didn't they keep this form factor for the newer versions? If they do make a good upgrade with the SP3i form factor, I will upgrade immediately.

- Keirmeister

Bushrod
12-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I"ve had my MPx200 for two years now. Aside from a couple nicks on teh screen and the usual marks on the outside, it's been great. I hope my PPC6700 will last as well!

Mike Temporale
12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Cool idea Kris!

My current phone, well... I've had it about a month or so now. We have a really special relationship. ;)

My last phone was really 2 phones. I used either 5600 or C500 over the course of the last year and a bit. The 5600 has been passed off to my wife, and the C500 is due to be listed on ebay soon. (alright, it should have been listed by now but.... I got no excuse. :( )

I really liked my 5600/C500. I was hoping for an upgrade, but the QVGA and WiFi options of my SP5m have killed those desires. :lol:

subzerohf
12-20-2005, 05:30 PM
I've had my SMT 5600 for over 6 months. Because of the dust problem, I opened it up, removed the dust, and put tapes around the screen. And put the phone back together. I really have an appreciation of how they put so much components into such a small package. And the phone works like a charm for me. Not hard resets, no flash upgrade needed.

xultar
12-20-2005, 07:14 PM
I've had my SMT5600 for 10 months now. The silver on the multifunction or 4-way button is chipping and a little silver is starting to peel off up by the Infrared. It also has a little bit of road rash on the bottom right back corner but other than that it is as purtty as it ever was.

I did get a scrotum blade though. I couldn't help it. I need the reception. :lol:

johncruise
12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Great post Kris! Makes me happy I bought the SP3i as well. :-)

revolution.cx
12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
SMT5600 for about a year now. Has had about 10 drops to the pavement. Some worse than others but a couple where I was sure it wouldn't work again.

Absolutely no worse for the wear outside of case scratches.

I keep it in my front pocket most of the time which leaves it exposed to being crushed a bit when I move heavy stuff like furniture. That's what did in my original SPV. Not a problem on the SMT5600.

All in all this has been the most rugged phone I've ever owned and I'm completely impressed and spoiled now.

Kris Kumar
12-21-2005, 12:50 AM
I"ve had my MPx200 for two years now. Aside from a couple nicks on teh screen and the usual marks on the outside, it's been great. I hope my PPC6700 will last as well!

MPx200. 8O Now that's a survivor. 8)

Kris Kumar
12-21-2005, 01:02 AM
There is one thing that I should have added to my main post. :oops:

Smartphone hardware and software has matured.

Unlike the early versions, the HTC C500/SMT5600/SP3/SP3i + WM 2003 SE has done an awesome job is providing us with a useable daily use phone. As a geek I am amazed that I was able to hang on to it.

[Disclaimer: Of course I should admit that for the most part we didn't have alternative Smartphone choices. I did place the order for 2125 today. But it is more because of the monthly cost advantage and also better coverage. I would have preferred to wait for a Wi-Fi Smartphone but realized that I cannot afford to sign another year or two contract with T-Mobile.]

I should give some credit to Motorola for its MPx220. Had it not been for the voice problem, it is a great phone.

kabkbak
12-21-2005, 04:13 AM
HAY that's me! :oops:
Lived through 3 good drops and a bath in the hopper.
8O
I've had my 5600 for 1/2 a year now and I love it.
Gave up my Loox 720 for It 'A good trade for my type of work
and I picked up a display model off of EBAY for a spare case if I ever have the need ($9.00)

Janak Parekh
12-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Now see, my i600 is in good condition because I've never dropped it on a hard surface. The one drop I've done was about a foot to a carpet or something like that. ;)

... and certainly nothing like my ancient Qualcomm pdQ. Not only was that literally brick-sized, it was as tough as a brick. I launched it from my belt once as I was dashing up a flight of metal steps towards a train that was coming. The thing flew in the air, banged against one step and proceeded to fall down the metal stairway. And there was only a small bruise on one hinge. That thing was indestructible. 8O

--janak

pugwonk
12-21-2005, 04:36 PM
My MPX220 survived two motorcycle accidents and my falling in a crevasse in Switzerland, before drowning on the KIMM (http://www.kimm.org.uk/).

Chris, who possibly got the wrong end of the stick on this thread

Mike Temporale
12-21-2005, 05:13 PM
My MPX220 survived two motorcycle accidents and my falling in a crevasse in Switzerland, before drowning on the KIMM (http://www.kimm.org.uk/).

Chris, who possibly got the wrong end of the stick on this thread

Holy Smokers! Sounds like your one busy guy! 8)

Global Mobility!
12-21-2005, 06:37 PM
SP3i didn't last more than 2 months of usage as a daily phone. No drops at all. The joystick crumbled (literally broke into 2 pieces--started as a stress crack) on me and the soft keys starting to fail. Replaced the joystick for $20 USD as the part needed to be ordered from Dubai and was not a warranty repair. Next, the soft keys stopped working intermittently and I tried to source a new joystick/soft key part. Was quoted an outrageous amount and decided to shelf the handset. It looks almost perfect, but cannot operate as the soft keys no longer work correctly.

I now use an SMT5600 which is the basically the same phone with a rocker pad instead of the joystick and it's a dream to use for everyday tasks. Just wished it came with a notepad that synchronized with Outlook.

Janak Parekh
12-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Just wished it came with a notepad that synchronized with Outlook.
SmartphoneNotes (http://www.syncdata.it/sphnotes.html). :)

--janak

marlof
12-22-2005, 08:42 AM
I've had my T-Mobile SDA for quite some time. Most of that time, it has been gathering dust. Why?

1) It won't charge from a USB cable, unless you connect it to a PC where Activesync is installed. Bah!
2) -and much more important-: like many T-Mobile SDA's, mine suffers from the dropped microphone syndrome. You can hear people say "are you still there", when the microphone no longer picks up anything you're saying. Bah2!

It's still a very good looking phone, and it's a shame that it didn't work out. I did like using the phone when it didn't suffer from point 2. Currently, I'm using the JasJar, but I keep eying the iMate SP5m...

Kris Kumar
12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
My new 2125 is not even a day old. And is already a survivor.

I got the Smartphone last night. And today morning, the new 2125 slipped from my hands while I was trying to take it out of the holster. Fell from the waist level onto ceramic tiled floor. Ouch! And so now it has 3 minor scrapes. :cry:

This kind of stuff happens to me and when the device is new. I am a klutz! :oops:

Rocco Augusto
12-23-2005, 12:20 AM
My new 2125 is not even a day old. And is already a survivor.

I got the Smartphone last night. And today morning, the new 2125 slipped from my hands while I was trying to take it out of the holster. Fell from the waist level onto ceramic tiled floor. Ouch! And so now it has 3 minor scrapes. :cry:

This kind of stuff happens to me and when the device is new. I am a klutz! :oops:

right when i was getting ready to reply to this i dropped my phone on the cement. no scratches, still working. its about the third time ive dropped it more than 3 feet. i love my 5600.... but i think this thread is cursed ;)

Mike Temporale
12-23-2005, 02:23 AM
AH! These are brand new devices. How dare you drop them! :twak:

Janak Parekh
12-26-2005, 08:52 PM
AH! These are brand new devices. How dare you drop them! :twak:
That's my thinking exactly. I baby my new devices. Fortunately Smartphones are light -- dropping Pocket PC phones are even more of a heart-attack-inducing experience, which I have managed to avoid in a long time.

--janak

Kris Kumar
12-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Fortunately Smartphones are light --

Exactly the reason why I drop them. :oops: They are light. They are small. It is difficult to hold them.

Janak Parekh
12-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Exactly the reason why I drop them. :oops: They are light. They are small. It is difficult to hold them.
Nah, Mike and I haven't dropped ours. Admit it, you're just a klutz. :P

Actually, I can easily say I have not dropped all of my electronic devices over the last 15 years more than 10 times. Probably more like 5. But then of course, I am paranoid about such things.

--janak

Mike Temporale
12-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Nah, Mike and I haven't dropped ours.

I dropped my c500 once. And it wasn't my fault. I was being attacked by kids while attempting to unload the car at the grandparents house. It fell on the driveway. Just a little scratch. It has never happened before and will never happen again! 8)

Rocco Augusto
12-27-2005, 11:22 PM
I dropped my c500 once. And it wasn't my fault. I was being attacked by kids while attempting to unload the car at the grandparents house. It fell on the driveway. Just a little scratch. It has never happened before and will never happen again! 8)

famous last words ;)

Kris Kumar
12-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Nah, Mike and I haven't dropped ours. Admit it, you're just a klutz. :P

Okay..Okay..I admit it. I admit it. I am klutz! :oops: :lol:

Janak Parekh
12-28-2005, 10:02 PM
famous last words ;)
Yeah, tell me about it. I just bought a bottle of Coke here at work (still sealed, fortunately), put it on my desk next to my i600. Accidentally knocked the Coke over when I reached for something. I managed to prevent it from rolling off by "shouldering" it on the desk, but it hit the i600 perfectly during its downward arc, which went flying to the floor. Fortunately, only off a 29" desk to a carpeted floor, and it fell "lightly", so looks like it's okay, but someone somewhere is punishing me for my arrogance. :oops: ;)

--janak