View Full Version : Selecting a New Windows Mobile Device

Jerry Raia
12-18-2005, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=5580' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=5580</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I’ve been a fan of HTCs devices for a while now – I’ve used a couple of their previous generation of phones and they’ve performed well and have been very hardy. I’ve been watching the new generation to see what it offers and have been thinking of upgrading to a new Windows Mobile 5 device. So when I had the opportunity recently to have a trial run with four new devices now available in New Zealand and running Windows Mobile 5 I thought I might write a buyers guide of sorts highlighting the points that I found were key to making the decision for me."</i><br /><br />Even though there is only one Smartphone (the rest are Pocket PC Phone models) in the lot it is worth a look. Being an owner of both types of devices I can say I notice the differences all the time. I doubt I could part with either one though. Just as an aside, anybody else out there use both?

hotdram
12-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Please educate me, what makes a phone a smartphone and what makes one a pocket PC phone? I know that smartphones run Windows mobile (WM2k3 or WM05) and Pocket PC's run something else, but what is the difference (and why 2 operating systems for essentially the same thing?)

~confusedRob

Mike Temporale
12-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, there are a number of differences under the hood. However, the main difference is the lack of touch screen support on the Smartphone. They are both based on Windows CE 5. The latest version (WinMo5) brings the two platforms closer together, but ultimately we won't see one of them disappear until Photon is released.

WinMo5 had lots of big changes on the PPC side to bring it closer to the Smartphone platform. Things like persistent storage, and softkey support have been added on the other side to help them catch up with us. ;) :D

Jerry Raia
12-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I still don't see why they have left out touchscreen support for Smartphones this late in the game. I would appreciate having it on my 5600.

sojourner753
12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
I was using both the smt-5600 and the Eten m500. I've since given the m500 to my girlfiend to try out.

Currently I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a new Phone Edition, Smartphone, or stand-alone PPC