View Full Version : Visto Sues Microsoft Over Patent Infringement for Mobile Data Access Features

Mike Temporale
12-15-2005, 05:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.visto.com/news/releases/05_12_15_microsoft.html' target='_blank'>http://www.visto.com/news/releases/05_12_15_microsoft.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Visto Corporation has filed a legal action against Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) for misappropriating Visto’s intellectual property. The complaint asserts that Microsoft has infringed upon multiple patents Visto holds regarding proprietary technology that provides enterprises and consumers with mobile access to their email and other data. The company is seeking a permanent injunction that would prohibit Microsoft from misappropriating the technology that Visto and its cofounder helped develop nearly a decade ago."</i><br /><br />Just when you thought is was safe to send a wireless email again.... :roll:

HalM
12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Let's see. . . Windows Mobile 5 devices are available and more coming fast. Yep, Service Pack 2 has been released as well as the Mobile Administration tool. Last but not least, the Security and Feature Pack was RTM'ed to device manufactuer's last month.

So yes, now is a good time for a VENTURE CAPITAL backed business to sue MS for patent enfringement. You know that MS's legal department never looked at the Visto's patents. 8O Good Grief!

If there is any basis for this it will be in the courts for years, if not it will still be litigated and cost both companies lots of $$$.

Mike Temporale
12-15-2005, 07:25 PM
It seems pretty suspicious that Visto comes out now with this lawsuit.

Also, I seem to recall Microsoft mentioning that they were careful to make sure their push email solution didn't violate any patents.

Personally, these patent things just make me dizzy. He said, she said, blah, blah, blah. :roll:

stevew
12-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Watch for Microsoft to buy Visto.

subzerohf
12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
In another news thread, Visto has teamed up with NTP, and NTP has agreed to license patents to Visto.

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/telecom/10257700.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA

Hmmm, may be NTP has a formula to successfully sue giant corporations such as RIM. They probably have a patent over that formula, too. :)

revolution.cx
12-16-2005, 12:56 AM
I have patented a method whereby an entity uses another entity to do something. You are all hereby notified to cease and desist your infringing behavior.

Mike Temporale
12-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I have patented a method whereby an entity uses another entity to do something. You are all hereby notified to cease and desist your infringing behavior.

Even by replying to this, I am in violation of your patent. :lol:

Kris Kumar
12-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I wonder if Microsoft had some inkling about a possible lawsuit or a threat. And that is why they made the push E-Mail support into a service pack. ;-) I mean as MSFP, an add-on module, they don't have to worry about stopping the sales of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices. They just have to remove the MSFP from ROM. ;-)

Just an evil thought. :-)