View Full Version : Office Mobile NOT coming soon

Dlogan
12-13-2005, 05:28 PM
I've seen mention of Office Mobile in a couple of threads and thought I'd start a new one with info I found at MS Mobiles. Sorry if it's already been posted, but here's the link to the story and a copy as well: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4657.html

Mobius 2005 USA coverage: Office Mobile for Smartphone coming (not very) soon
December 08, 2005 [MS Smartphone]
During Mobius 2005 USA invite-only conference organized by Microsoft, for the first time Microsoft employees confirmed that Office Mobile for MS Smartphone is under construction... there are however 2 major problems: 1) it will be released some time in 2006 and is still in early phases of development it is not "coming soon", 2) it will allow only viewing but not editing of Microsoft Office documents (although all MS Smartphone devices have enough processing power to do also editing, not just viewing).

A quote from one of the participants of the conference:

Microsoft representatives have just announced that their company will release applications that will allow Windows Mobile Smartphone users to view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files on their devices.

Currently, Smartphone users can't open Microsoft Office files they receive as attachments.

The harsh truth is that without Office Mobile for MS Smartphone (including editing possibility) Motorola Q (that is powered by MS Smartphone OS) has no chances for market success. If Microsoft will not release Office Mobile for MS Smartphone soon enough, then Motorola Q will flop.

Mike Temporale
12-13-2005, 07:01 PM
I've seen mention of Office Mobile in a couple of threads and thought I'd start a new one with info I found at MS Mobiles.

I was at the Mobius conference and I think it's more than safe to say that MS Mobiles doesn't know what he's talking about. We say a working demo of Office Mobile for the Smartphone. They refused to comment on estimated availability not because it isn't ready, but because they aren't ready to announce it yet. It certainly didn't look like it was over a year away.

Regardless of Office Mobile support for editing or not, the Q will be a big success. You have to keep in mind who and where the Q is aimed. It's not meant to be a miniature laptop. RIM doesn't support office documents, nor the SideKick.

Sven Johannsen
12-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Not having a WM5 Smartphone, I couldn't tell you if they work on it or not, but there is already and office doc viewing capability on Smartphones via Westtek ClearVue
http://www.westtek.com/smartphone/

Jerry Raia
12-18-2005, 12:56 AM
the Q will be a big success.

Ahem....

Bets anyone? :lol:

encece
12-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Non-PDA users like keyboards. (see treo's success).

If it's viewed as less intimidating than a PocketPC...it could be a success.

Also, looking at screenshots, it seems that the Q will use Picsel Viewer as their "Mobile Office"....which is not available for sale beyond OEMs AFAIK.

ClearVue doesnt work on my SP5m, so I'm currently looking for a solution for this as well.

Jerry Raia
12-19-2005, 04:20 AM
Non-PDA users like keyboards. (see treo's success).

If it's viewed as less intimidating than a PocketPC...it could be a success.

Also, looking at screenshots, it seems that the Q will use Picsel Viewer as their "Mobile Office"....which is not available for sale beyond OEMs AFAIK.

ClearVue doesnt work on my SP5m, so I'm currently looking for a solution for this as well.

All of the above assumes it will actually work right. :D

encece
12-19-2005, 04:32 AM
It may work right. But I can guarantee that no third party software will with the landscape screen and no developer is going to want to fix it for one phone model.

Jerry Raia
12-19-2005, 04:39 AM
It may work right. But I can guarantee that no third party software will with the landscape screen and no developer is going to want to fix it for one phone model.

I suspect you are right about that. Especially because no matter what this will not be a big seller. I don't thing RIM has anything to fear, at least from the Q anyway. :lol: