View Full Version : "John Cody's Alerts" ROCKS!

Donny Bahama
12-09-2005, 02:40 AM
This is by far the best reminder/timer app I've seen. It's rare that I see an app that I find no way to improve upon. This app is extremely well-designed, with all the functionality of SuperAlert for the PPC (and maybe more!) And at $9.95, what a bargain!

John - in case you read this, there is ONE thing I'd improve on...
Could you give me an option for setting the default text entry mode when a new alert is created? I'd love to have it automatically come up in T9 mode.

Donny Bahama
12-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Somehow I overlooked that option when going through the "General" options. John truly thought of *everything* (near as I can tell.) VERY COOL.

Mike Temporale
12-09-2005, 07:46 AM
I agree. Alerts! is one of my must have apps on WinMo3SE.

Personally, I like the "Force Sound" feature. It allows me to put my phone in silent to avoid being woken up by calls in the middle of the night, but still hear the alarm when it rings. :D

stevew
12-10-2005, 02:16 AM
John's Voice Notes is also excellent and a must have program for me.

John Cody
12-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks Guys!

It always puts a smile on my face when I hear my work is appreciated :D

Donny Bahama
12-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, John... now that I've used your program for a little while, (and now that I know you read these forums! ;)) I have come up with a few suggestions for you...

1. Make the date field a single text box (this may have to be an option for those who are too firmly entrenched in the current paradigm). It would work like this: if I type 0 8 1 5, the app interprets that as August 15th of this year. If I type 1 0 0 5, the app interprets that as October 5the of this year. If I type 0 1 2 4 0 6, the app interprets that as January 24th, 2006. This being December, it occurs to me that you may want to include an "Assume Next Year" option that would automatucally interpret a 4 digit date as a date in the coming year (if the date entered is < the current date.) As an example, if I was to set up an alert today and I entered 0 2 0 9, the app would automattically assume I meant February 9th of 2006.

2. Do the time field the same way - 0 8 4 5 = 8:45 AM, 1 5 3 0 = 3:30 PM
I know some people have difficulty with "military time", but I suspect they wouldn't mind getting used to it if it saved them time.

I think these would save several button presses, and on a Smartphone, every button press I can save is a good thing!

3. This may already be in there, and I may have missed it, (if so, sorry!) but when setting the options for (e.g.) Date-Time Alerts, allow me to checka box that makes those options the defaults for all types of Alerts.

John Cody
12-11-2005, 03:04 PM
1. Make the date field a single text box
2. Do the time field the same way

3. This may already be in there, and I may have missed it, (if so, sorry!) but when setting the options for (e.g.) Date-Time Alerts, allow me to checka box that makes those options the defaults for all types of Alerts.

1+2 - this will be fixed in the next version, but that version is many months down the road because it needs a complete rewrite to be compatible with WM5.

3 - Yes, it's already in there - you can set the default settings for the alerts in the "Default Settings" section, then all alerts will use those defaults. But, if there is a specific feature that you can't set the default for, please let me know.

Mike Temporale
12-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm really missing Alerts! on my new device. I haven't found anything that works as well as Alerts does - for me anyway. :(

John Cody
12-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm really missing Alerts! on my new device. I haven't found anything that works as well as Alerts does - for me anyway. :(

Hey Mike...I promise to work on the next WM5 version as soon as I can...

Donny Bahama
12-11-2005, 06:07 PM
1+2 - this will be fixed in the next version, but that version is many months down the road because it needs a complete rewrite to be compatible with WM5.Will it be backwards compatible with WM 4.2?

Also, just as a suggestion ;), you could write an update for the current version and make it available to the masses that don't have WM5 ;), then that code would already be written ;) for when you do the WM5 rewrite! ;)

nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?

John Cody
12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Will it be backwards compatible with WM 4.2?

Also, just as a suggestion ;), you could write an update for the current version and make it available to the masses that don't have WM5 ;), then that code would already be written ;) for when you do the WM5 rewrite! ;)

nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?

Yes, the rewrite will run on 2003 devices, just not 2002 devices.

I do plan on coming out with an update within a few weeks that will fix some reported issues, but it will not run on WM5 until I do the rewrite later on.

Mike Temporale
12-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Hey Mike...I promise to work on the next WM5 version as soon as I can...

:lol: I'm just bugging you John. I know you're a busy guy with lots to do. So, no rush. I'm one of the few WinMo 5 guys right now. It's not like the market is saturated with WinMo5 devices. It's a really small group of us. ;)

Besides, right now my son has this fantastic habit of waking up just when my alarm should go off. He hasn't failed me in a couple weeks. So, it's not like I'm sleeping in and missing work or anything. :lol: ;)

John Cody
12-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey Mike,

I know :wink: