View Full Version : Got the Time with Windows Mobile 5

Mike Temporale
12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
A common complaint among Candy-Bar styled Windows Mobile Smartphone owners is how awkward it is to check the time on your device. Unlike flip phone with an external display, there is no easy method to see the time once the screen has powered down and the keypad is locked.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Temporale-iMateSP5m-UnlockScreen.jpg

With Windows Mobile 5, you can have the time and date displayed on the unlock screen. The formating of the date and time is based on your system settings. You can turn this feature on and off under Settings / Unlock Screen Clock. I realize this may sound like a small change, but it's things like this that really make Windows Mobile 5 feel more complete and well rounded. :)

ctmagnus
12-03-2005, 12:53 AM
I dunno. That concept seems kind of redundant to me. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9313) ;)

Kris Kumar
12-03-2005, 02:51 AM
I like the idea. It is good that you can turn it on and off. But can you customize it like the home screen?

I would prefer the following approach for the locked keypad:
- first key press, shows the home screen (but the key pad is still locked)
- if I press # (or * for those WM5 folks) then it unlocks the keypad
- if I didn't press # (or *) as the second key press, then show me the screen that has the hint "Press # to unlock keypad".

In my approach the Smartphone knows that I am smart and I know how to unlock the screen. No need to show the hint all the time.

If first key press shows the home screen with the key pad still locked. Then we are all set. Check time, calendar or whatever. If you press the key pad the second time, if you press # it unlocks without showing the hint. If you pressed some other key, it shows the hint. ;-)

SnozBerries
12-03-2005, 03:24 AM
I prefer a custom made home screen which has the date/time in a large font, and just a few other items on the home screen (MRU app list, Profile, Upcoming appointments).

That way when I need to check the date/time, it's easy to do. When I need to check for upcoming appointments, they are still visible from a locked key pad. And to quickly change profiles, it can be done with just a few clicks. Plus all this works with pre-WM5 phones.

I don't have any use for knowing whose cellular network I'm currently on. As long as I have signal, that's all that matters. I rarely check email, and rarely receive SMS messages, so those also aren't needed on the home page. But that's just my two cents, given my usage.

darren
12-03-2005, 04:51 AM
This is not WM5 feature because I had seen it in WM2003 device. It is added by HTC.

encece
12-03-2005, 09:47 AM
not on any HTC Device I ever had.....which was most of my phones.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2005, 01:31 PM
I dunno. That concept seems kind of redundant to me. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9313) ;)

:lol: Ok. it's not for everyone. I actually converted to using that homescreen before I switched phones. It's pretty good design. :D

Mike Temporale
12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
This is not WM5 feature because I had seen it in WM2003 device. It is added by HTC.

Darren, perhaps you're thinking of the C550? That's the only phone that I can think of that might have it, but I pretty sure it didn't.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
But can you customize it like the home screen?

The only options are turning the data on and off, and turing the whole thing on and off. I don't know if there is any extended homescreen-type customization. Although, that would be cool.

Arne Hess
12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Right, it was introduced by HTC but isn't a standard Windows Mobile 5.0 feature, unfortunately... :(
Anyway, I still like to see a kind of watch like Ericsson did with the screen saver of the T68... This was handy...

Kris Kumar
12-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Anyway, I still like to see a kind of watch like Ericsson did with the screen saver of the T68... This was handy...

That was the coolest screen saver. 8)

Sven Johannsen
12-03-2005, 10:38 PM
If first key press shows the home screen with the key pad still locked. Then we are all set. Check time, calendar or whatever. If you press the key pad the second time, if you press # it unlocks without showing the hint. If you pressed some other key, it shows the hint. ;-)
I like that. Especially since the current situation is irritating if you have an alert. Pressing most any key does nothing. Pressing the Left Soft Key brings up the backlight, and shows the alert text for about a millisecond, before it brings up the hint screen, simultaneously dismissing the alert.

I've found that on the SMT5600 at least, tapping the power button does bring up the backlight without dismissing the alert, and without triggering the hint screen. I'm up to remembering that about every other time at this point.