View Full Version : Windows Mobile 5.0 and the New Hands Free Bluetooth Profile

Mike Temporale
11-28-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2762' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2762</a><br /><br /></div><i>"With AKU (Adoption Kit Update) 1.1 for Pocket PC Phone Edition and Smartphone new Bluetooth profiles were added, namely hands free (beside headset which was already supported) as well as supporting phonebook transfer to a variety of car manufacturers Bluetooth car kits such as from BMW and many others. AKU 1.1 is already implemented into some newer devices, such as the i-mate K-Jam, SP5(m) and Qtek 9100 and you can verify yourself if your device uses already AKU 1.1 by opening the "About" screen on your Windows Mobile 5 device. If the build number is greater than 14402 the devices is using AKU 1.1 already and provides you the new Bluetooth profiles already."</i><br /><br />Arne Hess over at the::unwired has posted about the new Bluetooth profiles found in Windows Mobile 5. I checked my i-mate SP5m, and the build is 14402.1.1.0. Unfortunately, I don't have anything other than my Bluespoon AX to connect to. :( Anyone care to loan me their car so I can check out the new hands free profile? ;)

Kris Kumar
11-29-2005, 04:36 AM
I can't wait to get my BMW. :lol:

PS: I think I should worry about owning a SP5 first.

Mike Temporale
11-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Why not get both? ;)

Sven Johannsen
11-29-2005, 06:27 AM
I've got a K-Jam with better than that build and a U-Connect system in my Jeep. I can confirm that this works as well as the cheap little T610 I had two years ago. My aren't we progressing.

In any case the experience is that with BT on, on the phone, and pairing already done, when I get in the car and turn it on, the car and the phone just connect. If a call comes in, the radio mutes and I push a button on the car set to take the call (or not). To make a call, you add voice tags to the car set itself. Once that is done, you can push the button on the car set and call anyone you have set up a tag for. You can have multiple numbers for an individual with the U-connect, and it prompts you for which one to use. So the car recognizes the name and sends digits to the phone top dial. It doesn't use either the phone voice tags or Voice Command. You can say, Dial 123 4567 as well. I just leave BT on and the K-Jam in the holster on my built. No need to touch it at all in the car.

My wife's Razr works this way with her Jeep as well. When she gets in the car she never even pulls the phone out of her purse. It just works.

So I guess that's Handsfree working. Worked great with my T610. Irritated me that neither my MPX220 or SMT5600 worked, and was delighted that both the K-Jam and JasJar did.

Now where's the A2DP profile dammit.

roma
11-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Yep, now you mention it I (SP5m) do have the Handsfree profile, but it doesn't swith to it with my Nokia BT Carkit. It still goes to headset profile according to the profile shown on my Homescreen. So I don't know what this profile adds to the phone compared to the Headset profile. What are the differences.

On the other hand.... I put a new ROM on my i-mate yesterday. I had the World Wide Edition and now I use the North European. I haven't tried it in my car yet. Still, what would I gain with the Handsfree profile over the headset profile?

Peter Foot
11-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Now where's the A2DP profile dammit.

That will be part of AKU 2, which will also include the long awaited messaging and security feature pack, and is due early 2006, though it depends on the OEMs own schedules on whether and when ROM updates will be released.

Peter

Sven Johannsen
11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
That will be part of AKU 2, which will also include the long awaited messaging and security feature pack, and is due early 2006, though it depends on the OEMs own schedules on whether and when ROM updates will be released.

Peter

Are you saying it is part of the MS BT stack/suite of supported profiles, that is included in AKU 2, which also contains the MSFP. And if the OEM chooses to support/release the MSFP by providing AKU 2, we get A2DP. Or is this something the OEM can hack up and not provide everything. I notice things like the GPS control panel item that was expected in the WM5 release can be optionally left out by the OEM. Would they have that flexibility on BT profiles?

You see, I could care less about MSFP, but I'll beat the drum for that if it comes with A2DP ;)

Foxbat121
11-30-2005, 01:32 AM
On my ATT SMT5600, I have following profiles:

(1) Hands free (My PC's Widcomm stack called it Audio gateway)
(2) Contact entry transfer
(3) File transfer

As I understand only Nokia phones support headset only.

Also, to test your BT capability on the phone, all you need is a USB BT adapter that uses Widcomm stack software on your PC.

Jerry Raia
11-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Ok but what about AVRCP?

Don't you just love these abv? :lol:

Peter Foot
11-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Peter

Are you saying it is part of the MS BT stack/suite of supported profiles, that is included in AKU 2, which also contains the MSFP. And if the OEM chooses to support/release the MSFP by providing AKU 2, we get A2DP. Or is this something the OEM can hack up and not provide everything. I notice things like the GPS control panel item that was expected in the WM5 release can be optionally left out by the OEM. Would they have that flexibility on BT profiles?

You see, I could care less about MSFP, but I'll beat the drum for that if it comes with A2DP ;)

Honestly I don't know how flexible the OEMs will be with implementing it, but at least it is offered by MS from AKU 2 onwards. It's very confusing for end users, especially as there isn't any clear documentation about what features are mandatory and which depend on the OEM, for example although Headset support is integral with WM5 it isn't present on the Dell X51V. In some ways there is logic in this because it's not a phone equipped device however the profile can be used for features such as voice control etc (though again there are issues here with getting the s/w to work on different devices with bluetooth headsets)
I would hope that A2DP is considered mainstream enough that it is applied to all devices whether phone equipped or not, all Windows Mobile devices have media player!

Peter

Sven Johannsen
11-30-2005, 08:02 PM
On my ATT SMT5600, I have following profiles:

You also have serial. You can load up Pocket Streets or Mapopolis and connect to a BT GPS.