View Full Version : iMate SP5 vs SP3 review

pugwonk
11-25-2005, 01:54 PM
I know Mike's written a much more comprehensive review, but you can never have too much information, right?

Anyway, I promised a while back that I'd write a comparative review of the T-Mobile SDA (AKA i-Mate SP3) and the i-Mate SP5. Well, I've had the SP5 for a few days now, so here we go. There won't be any pictures - if you're after pics, I'd just Google it. I haven't written a review like this before either, so it might be horribly disorganised or I might miss out important things. You get what you pay for.

Hardware
--------

Physically, the device is a little larger than the SP3. I can't entirely say in which dimension - I think it's a little bit larger in all three. The battery is 10% bigger, and WM5 has slightly better power handling, so hopefully we can expect a bit longer battery life (I generally got a whole weekend out of the SP3 quite happily). There is an extra button at the top left which jumps you into a "wireless" utility - this gives you the options to switch on/off bluetooth, WiFi and sound. I can't entirely see in what way it's different to the normal "profile" selector screen, apart from being much slower.

The machine seems a lot slower than the SP3 was (though the SP3 was quite quick when compared to the Motorola MPX220 I had before). I'm not sure if it's the processor speed or the fact that WM5 now stores data inside the flash memory instead of normal address space, but just clicking on "calendar" now takes almost five seconds to display my day. Likewise, scrolling through the days takes 1-2 seconds per day (though it will buffer keypresses, so scrolling five days doesn't take much longer if you don't look at each one). Both of these actions were largely instantaneous on the SP3, as far as I remember.

The WiFi is a funny old thing. In ActiveSync 4, MS disabled the ability to sync over a wireless network, which would have been rather handy. I managed very easily to connect this phone to my wireless network at home and log into Messenger but beyond that I really couldn't think of what I was going to do with it. I can't look at shared folders on my PC (which might have been handy) and I'm sure as anything not going to browse the internet using mobile IE (which as far as I can see hasn't changed since WM2003). So far the only thing I can think of actually using WiFi for on this phone will be showing off to my mates, or finding where there _is_ a wireless connection, so I can get the laptop out and use it. You can't even make the phone pretend to be a modem and connect to a wireless network on behalf of your non-wireless laptop (or other device). Suggestions appreciated. Anyway, it seems to work pretty well, even though I've nothing to do with it.

The camera seems excellent - much better than the old SP3 one. It takes up to 1280x1024 and while it's still not a patch on a "proper" digital camera, it's the best phone one I've owned. If anyone's particularly keen I can probably post up a couple of example pictures.

the screen too looks fantastic - the SP3 was very good and while I'm hesitant to say this one is particularly better, it certainly has a higher resolution so the fonts are more pleasing to the eye.

Software
--------

WM5 is not as much of an advancement on WM2003 as I'd hoped for, really. There are icons in the start menu, which at least looks kinda cute, but once you get into any submenus it looks just as "my first windows program" as WM2003 did.

The "contacts" program has been improved - as well as showing more descriptive data around each contact's numbers, it will show "notes" fields and pictures for contacts (which synchronise nicely without Outlook 2003, so I might actually start using them now).

Speaking of synchronisation, you of course end up using ActiveSync 4 as well. It looks a little different to the old app, but I am not really very sure what's different. You can no longer be specific about which tasks to synchronise (it used to allow you to synchronise a given date range, but now it's all or nothing) but apart from that it seems to be a similar program under the skin. It does synchronise much faster though, and so far I've not had any problems apart from a repeated crash on first connection of the phone, which was solved by a reboot. I've not tried sync using Bluetooth yet.

The "tasks" app now allows you to filter by categories - this is a huge boon, but unfortunately I'm going to have to carry on using the excellent DeveloperOne PowerTasks app instead, because rather bizarrely it doesn't allow you to edit the "notes" fields. Go figure, as the Americans say.

The "calendar" app is just as horrible as the old one. You're still incapable of viewing data in any meaningful way on a view other than the single-day one. The reminders are now snoozable for more than five minutes (yay!) but you can still dismiss them while the phone is locked (!). I was used to Pocket Informant before switching from PDA to Smartphone - MS's calendar app is so far behind what even existed on the Psion Revo I had eight years ago, it's almost hilarious.

As far as I can see, the text messaging app is exactly the same as the old WM2003 one, apart from a bit of colouring in. It still has the rather odd foible of writing words ahead of the cursor that you have no intention of putting in (if you have seen this, you'll know what I mean). If there's an option to make it suggest endings for words that you've started entering, I haven't found it. The "request delivery report" feature seems to work exactly the same as WM2003 (i.e. doesn't work at all).

The media messaging seems very similar to the old version too, apart from a little icon that appears in the very top of the screen while it's sending things. Oh, and apart from the fact it needs 4Mb of free storage space in order to send anything. How do I know this? Well, it leads me on nicely to my biggest gripe.

This phone has no storage space left! I don't know exactly how much it had when it shipped, but I synchronised my contacts/tasks/calendar, installed one or two apps (with home screen plugins, so they need to be on the device itself rather than the storage card) and all of a sudden I've got 2mb of memory left! My contacts/tasks/calendar data is quite large (5Mb or so) but I've never had a problem like this before. I removed all the apps I had installed on the device and nope, still not enough memory. I removed the "Trust Antivirus" application that came with it (was running out of options here) and I baaaaaarely managed to scrape through the 4Mb required to send media messages. I've now installed Battery Pack Pro, and I'm back down around the 3.5Mb mark. I've no idea how to create any extra space - I now only have ONE app installed on the phone's memory, and I removed one of the ones that came with it! There are two i-mate games that come installed on the phone (Backgammon and Lines) - they appear to take about 1Mb each so my next option is to start uninstalling them so that I can send picture messages.

Overall, my impressions of this phone are very favourable apart from the storage space issue (and admittedly, part of it is a media-messaging issue). My impressions of WM5 are a bit mixed. It doesn't really feel like a huge improvement - from the look of it, Microsoft have gone down that familiar route of adding new stuff (Wi-Fi; new media player which i haven't tried out; hotmail integrated into MSN messenger) instead of fixing things that were crying out for repair (the ability to dismiss reminders while the phone was locked; the abysmal calendar application; the fact that muting the sound doesn't actually mute it for all applications). There are a couple of applications (1-Home-Edit; Fizz Weather) which I use a lot but can't actually install yet because they don't have WM5 versions - of course, this isn't Microsoft's fault, but it's helping to slightly tinge my impression of the OS.

What haven't I mentioned yet... oh, there's an icon that tells you when the phone is on vibrate alert, instead of the one that used to show it being on mute.

That's it - I'll follow up this post with any other feelings I come up with. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Chris

Kris Kumar
11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks Chris. Now I know what to expect when I get my trade-in my SP3i for the SP5. :-)

What haven't I mentioned yet... oh, there's an icon that tells you when the phone is on vibrate alert, instead of the one that used to show it being on mute.

Interestingly, the recent firmware update for the SP3i adds this icon. When the phone is on vibrate mode, there is an icon in the home screen with an image of the phone with waves on the side.

Mike Temporale
11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write this Chris! I've posted a link to the front page. Nice job. 8)

There is an extra button at the top left which jumps you into a "wireless" utility - this gives you the options to switch on/off bluetooth, WiFi and sound. I can't entirely see in what way it's different to the normal "profile" selector screen, apart from being much slower.

I think you mean the Quick List window - pressing the power button for just a second. The two windows are similiar, however the Quick List window doesn't offer Bluetooth or ActiveSync. It also lacks the quick links to settings for both Bluetooth and WiFi. But you are right, it's much slower. :(

The machine seems a lot slower than the SP3 was (though the SP3 was quite quick when compared to the Motorola MPX220 I had before). I'm not sure if it's the processor speed or the fact that WM5 now stores data inside the flash memory instead of normal address space

I have noticed things are slower. I thought it was due to the AntiVirus software, which I haven't even played with or removed yet. In WinMo5 the changes to memory are more on the Pocket PC side of things, so they could have persistent storage like we already had. There may have been other changes, but I'm not really aware of them. Anyway, I haven't noticed it to be as slow as you seem to find it. That might just be the fact that I'm a little slower all around. ;)

The WiFi is a funny old thing. In ActiveSync 4, MS disabled the ability to sync over a wireless network, which would have been rather handy. I managed very easily to connect this phone to my wireless network at home and log into Messenger but beyond that I really couldn't think of what I was going to do with it.

I use it for surfing, updating Fizz, checking my email, and downloading files. As soon as I get home, I activate it, and I try to turn it off when I leave in the morning. I'm not always good at remembering that. :oops:

I haven't noticed any of the memory/storage space issues you described. Do you have a storage card? I install most of my programs on the card - unless it's something that needs super access speed, or replaces a built in function, like Papyrus.

Kris Kumar
11-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Did I hear Anti-Virus? 8O :? SP5 has anti-virus software pre-loaded.

pugwonk
11-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi Mike -

The front page! I'm honoured. I'm tempted to post the URL to my mum.

I haven't noticed any of the memory/storage space issues you described. Do you have a storage card? I install most of my programs on the card - unless it's something that needs super access speed, or replaces a built in function, like Papyrus.

I do have a storage card, and I install all apps on that (apart from the battery monitor I mentioned). There's a bit more at http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=125726&thread=25 from people who have similar problems. Basically even if you have plenty "Available Memory" (in Settings..About) you require at least 4Mb of "Available Storage" in order to send MMS messages. I think what's eaten my storage is the i-Mate games and my own reasonably chunky PIM stuff - there's not much I can do to get them out of this part of the memory unfortunately.

Re. the QuickList - yes, that is what it's called. And no, you're right, it doesn't have the config items that the Wireless utility does. But most of the time I just want to quickly mute the phone/switch off wireless and put it back in my pocket, and I found that the speed of the Wireless was just a bit irritating.

When you say "Updating Fizz" - are you using Fizz Traveller or Fizz Weather? I'm too chicken to install Fizz Weather as it doesn't say anywhere that it works on WM5.

Chris

Mike Temporale
11-25-2005, 04:08 PM

Yup. eTrust AntiVirus - by Computer Associates. I haven't actually played with it yet, but it's there and it's not part of the ROM. If you hard reset, you have to run a seperate install routine that puts the iMate home screens, games, and eTrust back onto your phone.

Mike Temporale
11-25-2005, 04:12 PM
There's a bit more at http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=125726&thread=25 from people who have similar problems. Basically even if you have plenty "Available Memory" (in Settings..About) you require at least 4Mb of "Available Storage" in order to send MMS messages.

Ah, I see. I guess I didn't notice this because I don't send MMS. I don't even know if my carrier supports it. :oops:

For the record, my Available Memory is 4.76MB right now.

When you say "Updating Fizz" - are you using Fizz Traveller or Fizz Weather? I'm too chicken to install Fizz Weather as it doesn't say anywhere that it works on WM5.

Yes, Fizz Traveller. Sorry. If you have the Wifi running, and you tell Fizz to download the weather for all cities, it just smokes!

Darius Wey
11-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Chris, awesome work. It's always good to hear what others have to say. :)

Yeah. i-mate and CA formed a partnership earlier in the year to bundle AV software on each and every one of their devices. Seems pointless at this point in time, doesn't it? :roll:

encece
11-25-2005, 05:40 PM
I got the MMS problem when I first started using the phone. In MMSC settings, I changed my Max Sending Size to 250K and that fixed it for me...sending/receiving.

I needed to set it there even though my MMS messages were much much smaller than that.

encece
11-25-2005, 05:44 PM
If I may add....the phone still has the problem where my keypad tones keep getting reset to TONES after a soft reset even though I keep setting it to NONE.

pugwonk
11-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi encece -

I got the MMS problem when I first started using the phone. In MMSC settings, I changed my Max Sending Size to 250K and that fixed it for me...sending/receiving.

I needed to set it there even though my MMS messages were much much smaller than that.

Good stuff... I am not 100% sure these are the same problem though - I can't pretend to have read all of it (I'm ostensibly supposed to be in the office, despite it being Friday afternoon), but http://www.modaco.com/SP5m_MMS_Problems_HELP_-t231742.html rather implies there are two different issues.

I managed to clear a bit of memory incidentally - I told it to stop synchronising my past appointments (umm... five years of them or so) and I ended up with 6.5Mb of free storage - enough to send an MMS. My gripes still remain though - I've never had to do this on any other phone.

Chris

encece
11-25-2005, 06:03 PM
And you should need to do it on this phone either! ;) But bugs are bugs.

I know there is that larger problem (I think I was the thread starter on that thread) but despite it....that one setting fixed it for me. Hopefully it will be fixed on the next firmware release. Thanks again.

headworx
11-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I have recently moved from SP3i to SP5m. The new thing is amazing. Awesome display + WiFi + many important improvements:
- easy switching betwen handset and speakerphone
- easy switching between handset and bluetooth audio device
- usable camera at last
- more ram, so out of memory messages are gone
Could not resist to put down a few words and photos in my blog:
http://headworx.blogspot.com/2005/11/best-music-smartphone-ever.html

Regards
Headworx

subzerohf
11-28-2005, 03:01 AM
...I use it for surfing, updating Fizz, checking my email, and downloading files. As soon as I get home, I activate it, and I try to turn it off when I leave in the morning. I'm not always good at remembering that. :oops:
Sorry to barge in, Mike. I haven't used a SP5m yet, but my impression was that it will switch between Wi-Fi and GPRS auto-magically, no :?:

Mike Temporale
11-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Sorry to barge in, Mike. I haven't used a SP5m yet, but my impression was that it will switch between Wi-Fi and GPRS auto-magically, no :?:

Auto-magically? ;)

Yes and no. If you have both turned on, it appears to try the WiFi first and then go to the GPRS. However, if the WiFi has disabled itself (it's a setting after x minutes of inactivity) there is a greater risk that things will time-out on WiFi before it gets turned on and assigned a IP again. Also, if you leave it on, when there is no network around, you're wasting time, and more importantly, processing power/battery life as it trys to connect to a network that isn't there before it switches over.

aarcam
11-28-2005, 08:46 PM
pugwonk, good review from the everyday usability standpoint. One thing that you mentioned that has me concern is the device’s speed.

It may be a bit daft on my part, but I was wondering how much you have crammed into your SP5. You said around 5 seconds for it to display the calendar. That would drive me nuts, so I was curious:
How many appts do you have on average for a day?
# of Contacts? Contacts with pics?
Has the speed improved since you removed old appointments?
Did the SP3i handle the same amount of data better than the SP5 (that is the feeling I got from your review)
I hope I am not getting too personal :P

I usually have a handful of appointments per day, a few hundred contacts, and 25-50 tasks. Not really a Power user but good to have with me. Thoughts, comments and rampant opinions welcome. Thanks.

PS, I don’t MMS much if at all, so will save that hurdle for another day, but good to know.

encece
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I have thousands of appointments on my phone dating back to 2001. The built-in calendar doesnt take more than a second or two at the most to open for me.

400 or so contacts opens immediately for me.

I dont have much to do, so I cant comment on the tasks.

aarcam
11-28-2005, 10:55 PM
encece,

Thanks for the comment, that is what I wanted to hear.

I really dont have that much to do, that is a worse case scenario, and 90% of the ones I do have are reoccurring.

Global Mobility!
12-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I wonder if the joystick and the soft keys on the SP5 will start to act up like the earlier SP3i (Feeler) phones. I have learned to like to the rocker button on the Typhoon series after the all the joystick problems associated with the Feeler series.

Hopefully HTC has improved the design of the joystick on their newer phones. If it's made correctly, it should last a long time just like my SE T68, and T610 phones.

pugwonk
12-20-2005, 09:52 AM
In answer to these questions (somehow I missed the notifications) - I have sped up my calendar a LOT by removing historic appointments (which I had to do to get over the "not enough memory to send an MMS message" problem). It now takes less than a second to open. Mine dated back, umm, rather a long time.

The joystick seems to me to be very similar to my SP3 one, but I haven't taken it apart. So really probably all 3mm-wide joysticks look pretty similar to me :oops: .

Chris

boyzsNblue
12-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Hello
I was thinking of getting a imate sp5 or sp3i and need to know if they use sim cards. As i already have an account with t-mobile.

Thanks for your help
Pete :) :D

Mike Temporale
12-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Hello
I was thinking of getting a imate sp5 or sp3i and need to know if they use sim cards. As i already have an account with t-mobile.

Thanks for your help
Pete :) :D

All i-mate phones are unlocked GSM phones. So yes, they use SIM cards.