View Full Version : Xbox 360 - Was anyone over here able to get one?

Kris Kumar
11-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Just curious, if anyone over here is lucky enough to have the Xbox 360 in their entertainment centre? :)

I am holding off all my gadget purchase till Dec. :-(

Also read this post (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000743069364/#comments) on engadget. Is it true? I hope its not.

Mike Temporale
11-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Not me. I'm holding off for a while. However, I did stop by my local Best Buy today and played a little. The store shelves looked pretty bare. Worse than after a boxing day sale.

encece
11-25-2005, 04:06 AM
I posted this on PPCT, but I dont mind ranting some more. ;)

Reserved a 360 a few months ago from GameStop. It was explained to me that all reservations would be met on the yet unannounced release date.

November 22nd was announced and I thought what a great Birthday present this would be for my son on November 24th.

I watched the 3-1/2 hour 360 launch promo special, then the news where they showed lines and lines of people waiting to get the xbox.

I thought to myself...SUCKERS!!!! They should have reserved one!

The next day I called GameStop where they informed me that they only received 20 systems. WHAT!!!!

By this time of the day....NO ONE had them.

WalMart only reveived 30. Sold out in minutes.
Target only 30. Sold out in minutes.
CompUSA received even less. Sold out in minutes.

I thought reserved meant I was guaranteed a system. I thought there was an agreement between MS and GameStop to supply all pre-orders. I thought MS would fulfill all preorders. I thought that was the purpose of preorders. I thought my local GameStop reps would take care of me. I thought wrong!

I even have two GameFly 360 games on the way to my house as I type this....coming to a home WITHOUT a 360!

Needless to say I was pissed expecially since I needed to run out and buy some alternate gifts for my son...which in themselves were a whole seperate ordeal, running from store to store trying to find hard to find toys that I know he wanted.

I am number 67 on my store's list. The first 20 are spoken for. So I am 47th on the next batch or two.

At this point, I just want it before Christmas.

I played KingKong in CompUSA. Beautiful graphics. It's like the movie segments of the original xbox....but throughout the whole game. And the 360's movie segments are even better than that!

Anyway, the day is over. Joey's birthday and Thanksgiving went smoothly. And we plan to spend the rest of the birthday boy's extended weekend down in Baltimore at the aquarium and a (friendly) Ghost Hotel.

Plenty of things to get my mind off of my missing XBox 360.

QUESTION: Why did Microsoft/Pepsi give away 1 XBOX every 10 minutes for 9 weeks (9072+ units...if I calculated correctly) if they weren't going to produce enough for people to buy at retail?! And how much did they spend on that stupid launch party? No wonder they are losing money on every box sold!

If the PS3 came out tomorrow...I'd buy it instead on spite! :twisted:

The End!

Kris Kumar
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
First of all Happy Belated Birthday to Joey. :-)

Man, Microsoft really ruined your plans.

Whatever happens, happens good and for a reason. Maybe those Xbox 360s do have some glitch and maybe they do crash. And you got saved. ;-) Glad that you were able to find an alternative.

But you are right, I have seen the graphics. It is stunning. Can't wait to try out Halo 3 and Ghost Recon. ;-)

encece
11-25-2005, 03:17 PM
First of all Happy Belated Birthday to Joey. :-)

Man, Microsoft really ruined your plans.

Whatever happens, happens good and for a reason. Maybe those Xbox 360s do have some glitch and maybe they do crash. And you got saved. ;-) Glad that you were able to find an alternative.

But you are right, I have seen the graphics. It is stunning. Can't wait to try out Halo 3 and Ghost Recon. ;-)

thanks. all worked out well.

Mike Temporale
11-25-2005, 03:28 PM
November is a great month for birthdays. ;) :lol:

I'm not concerned about the crashes, it's not the first time a console has shipped with problems, and it won't be the last. The racing game I played was amazing. If I had some free time, and a little extra cash, I would have picked up a unit. I still will, just not for a little while.

Darius Wey
11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
I take console stability problems with a grain of salt. There is always a batch of units that fail to work as planned, and the media is always quick to jump on it and blow it out of proportions.

I would have loved to have purchased a unit on release. But cost was a factor, and it's not released here until March 2nd. :cry: I'm now deciding if I should pre-order one, or just wait a few months for prices to drop.

Kris Kumar
11-26-2005, 11:24 PM
I read some posts about how a gamer found the solution to the crashes by keeping the power brick cool. :lol:

I believe he suspended the power brick from air. So that it gets air from all directions and maintains its cool.

Mike Temporale
11-27-2005, 02:29 AM
I read some posts about how a gamer found the solution to the crashes by keeping the power brick cool. :lol:

I believe he suspended the power brick from air. So that it gets air from all directions and maintains its cool.

I read that too. I had a feeling the crash problem was related to overheating. I just didn't think it was as simple as the power cable. :D

Darius Wey
11-28-2005, 02:58 AM

Yeah, crazy pictures. You have to see it to believe it. :lol:

http://img.photoamp.com/i/9P0pqeht.jpg

All thanks to a piece of string.

Kris Kumar
11-28-2005, 03:31 AM
:rotfl:

I wonder if that card-board box is an original Xbox 360 accessory. :lol:

encece
11-29-2005, 02:53 AM
Microsoft just sent me a replacement cord for my original xbox, because there was a danger of them melting. Looks like they'll be sending out more...and more expensive one's at that.

Darius Wey
12-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Well, I just pre-ordered one today, three months before the release here in Australia. I'm third on the list, and they're being dished out strictly on a first come, first served basis. Wheeeee! :)

Kris Kumar
12-02-2005, 03:42 AM
... I'm third on the list ...

Wow! Third! 8)

encece
12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Well, I just pre-ordered one today, three months before the release here in Australia. I'm third on the list, and they're being dished out strictly on a first come, first served basis. Wheeeee! :)

You'll probably get yours before I get mine. :?