View Full Version : Audiovox SMT5600 with WM 5.0

Sean Murphy
11-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Audiovox SMT5600 with WM 5.0. Unlocked. The phone comes with the charger, box, sync cable, manuals, blah blah blah. The phone is in good shape, there are a handful of small scratches on it from standard use and there is the standard collection of dust under the screen but it can not be seen when the back light is on. Pics of the unit here (http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10197)

This does have Windows Mobile 5.0 (Magneto) loaded on it. It functions fine with WM5 but you may have compatibility issues with some old 3rd party software.

The first paypal $250 + $10 shipping to anywhere in the US gets it. It will ship tomorrow if payment is received today. Email me at sean at mobilegadgetnews dot com

Mike Temporale
11-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Sean, Just wondering what have you replaced this with?

Sean Murphy
11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey Sean, Just wondering what have you replaced this with?

I am currently running an MPx220 as my primary phone. I enjoyed the SMT5600 a lot, I think it is a GREAT phone but I really missed the whole flip thing. The MPx220 took a long time (and many software revisions) to get decent and I feel that it currently is quite good so I am running that way now. I would say that on the horizon is probably another go around for PocketPC Phone Edition devices, my next one will either be the Universal, the HP 6500/6700 series or possibly the HTC 8100 coming from Cingular. I really need a no camera device soon so the 6510 and 8100 are probably the fore-runners. Right now when I go no camera mode I am using a Voq Pro. Basically, I have too many phones and to many PPCs and I want one of everything new coming. Maybe if I hit the lottery :lol:

Sven Johannsen
11-21-2005, 07:28 PM
So how do you like the VOQ? I just ordered one because I too need a non-camera phone at times.

Sean Murphy
11-21-2005, 09:47 PM
So how do you like the VOQ? I just ordered one because I too need a non-camera phone at times.

I like the Voq, it performs well, it has some real nice added software like MyVoq, the thumboard makes data entry a snap. My only real gripe is the size. I hold it next to my SMT5600 and it almost makes you laugh. It is a solid phone though and you have to respect what Voq was trying to do, they were the ONLY SmartPhone maker to ever offer an OS upgrade, that is something to congratulate them on.

Mike Temporale
11-21-2005, 11:14 PM
they were the ONLY SmartPhone maker to ever offer an OS upgrade

Samsung did it with the i600 too. But that was an utter mess. Was it Verizon or Sprint? I forget.

Anyway, I really like the Voq. The size and lack of bluetooth are the biggie's for me. However, if the price keeps dropping, I'll snapping one up. :) I have a friend that can no longer use his (work replaced them with a Audiovox 6600) Maybe I should offer him a little coin for it. :)

Rocco Augusto
12-04-2005, 03:02 AM
they were the ONLY SmartPhone maker to ever offer an OS upgrade

Samsung did it with the i600 too. But that was an utter mess. Was it Verizon or Sprint? I forget.

Anyway, I really like the Voq. The size and lack of bluetooth are the biggie's for me. However, if the price keeps dropping, I'll snapping one up. :) I have a friend that can no longer use his (work replaced them with a Audiovox 6600) Maybe I should offer him a little coin for it. :)

a little coin? i dunno, the littlest coin i have is a penny and no one will trade me a penny for a VOQ.... maybe two little coins ;) :P

Duddy
12-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Why is it soo important to have a phone without a camera? It's not like your forced to use it.

Sean Murphy
12-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Cameras... Many industrial sites in the world will not let you bring a camera phone in no matter if you say you won't use it or not. One of the major local employers in my area, British Aerospace Engineering will not let any employees through the door with a camera phone. This is seriously limiting if you are a smartphone user. My goal is to land a job there, I can either give up cell phones during working hours or find something camera free. BAE is not alone, in my experience, about 15% of all manufacturing facilities have the no camera rule.

Richard76
03-26-2006, 03:46 PM
I just returned from a semi-annual business trip to the Maritimes. During this one week trip I visited approximately 16 customers in 3 different industries (pulp & paper, power generation and tire manufacturing). I was NOT allowed to enter the premises with a camera in 4 of these plants.

That is 25%, which is pretty high considering none of these plants are Aerospace or Military related. And, in my opinion, the plants that restricted camera use did not have anything to hide...believe me.

The problem with this is, I don't just carry a phone it is a converged device. Two in fact. A Treo 650 and a PDA2k, as well as a standard 6.0 MP digital camera. These devices are a necessary part of my business as all of my contact info, historical data for a particular account and product technical information is stored on my devices.

Now, I have no trouble signing a waiver stating that I will not take any pictures and I don't mind even turning my phone off. Normally I just turn off the ringer but I do not take calls when I am with a customer. However, to not allow me to bring my "important information" in to a meeting is, as seems to always happen here in Canada, overkill!

hotdram
03-26-2006, 04:30 PM
I work for Raytheon, and until recently, we were not allowed on site with a camera phone. That changed at the end of last year. My guess is that the higher-ups wanted nice phones with a lot of features, but found that they all came with cameras, so, walla, the policy was changed :)

~Rob